Saturday, September 21, 2013
A few weeks ago I saw a post on Sparkpeople about being on a merry-go-round with weight loss. You are motivated to lose--lose some--go back to old habits--gain weight--repeat. I can identity with riding this merry-go-round since I have done it for quite some time. I WANT OFF THIS RIDE NOW AND FOREVER!!
I have so many Sparkfriends who have lost weight, are working hard to reach their goals, and are encouraging me and others to do the same. If they were ever on the merry-go-round, they found a way to get off of it. Now it's my turn to get off and encourage others to do the same. I am tired of losing and gaining back the same pounds, I am tired of trying to find clothes to camouflage my muffin top, I am tired of being tired of being tired of this viscous cycle that is like rocking in a rocking chair--I can do it forever and get nowhere.
I have been my own worst enemy. The problem lies with me--so does the solution. If it is to be it is truly up to me. I am getting off this merry-go-round today by taking the following actions:
1) Committing to reaching my weight loss/health goals daily, hourly, minute by minute if necessary--I have set reminders in my phone to go off to remind me daily of how many days are left in this year for me to work towards my goals. I am joining a Sparkfriend in working hard through the end of the year so that we are on track with our weight loss goals when 2014 begins.
2) Staying within my daily calories!!!!!!!!!!!!! This has been my achilles heel--no more!! I am going to research, plan my meals, and stick to the plan!!!
3) Continuing to exercise regularly--getting a minimum of 1000 minutes of fitness monthly--this has been relatively easy and really blesses me.
4) Drinking water, water, water, and more water. Got to stop drinking my calories!!!
5) Connecting with my Sparkfriends a minimum of once per week--I need the accountability and support
6) Reaching out to help others who are struggling with the merry-go-round too. There is a quote that I love that says--"When you help someone else up the hill, you help yourself up the hill too." author unknown. This is so true!!
7) Repeat, repeat, repeat. Maybe this action plan can be my new merry-go-round. I saw Rick Warren, author of the Purpose Driven Life, on Oprah's Lifeclass, and he said that instead of fighting your temptations replace them. This merry-go-round is much better than the old one. I may need to add some things to the ride, but it has the potential to get me to my weight loss/health goals unlike the old merry-go-round. Sounds like a good replacement to me!!
Tuesday, August 06, 2013
I can't believe it has been nearly a month since my last blog. So much has happened it seems: my son deployed to Afghanistan, work issues, lost then gained weight, strained my calf muscle running--rested it for two weeks--started running again--re-injured it yesterday, family drama, lost 5 pounds, and the list goes on. I am certain that everyone has a list of their own--those list make up this journey called life.
I have a metal wall hanging that has the quote "Life is a journey not a destination" on it. That is so true!!! My journey has taken me places that I never dreamed of going and would not have visited if I had a choice. But those places, the people, and the lessons learned have shaped me. Maybe that is why I am still working on my weight loss goals. This time with more determination than ever before.
Unfortunately after taking the "What's Your Exercise Personality Quiz" on Sparkpeople today I learned that I have to channel that determination in a better manner. My quiz results said that I am a Hardcore Exerciser--guess that is why I got addicted to running. I do like to push myself physically--unfortunately I think that led to my calf injury a few weeks ago and the re-injury last night.
I have been focused on exercising, but I haven't been focused on my eating and tracking. I know that isn't the formula that is going to help me reach my weight loss goals, but somehow it was the formula that I was working with. Not anymore!!!
I am faithfully tracking my food intake in myfitnesspal on my phone, staying within my daily calories, drinking plenty of water, and planning my meals. Losing 5 pounds in one week is pretty motivating!!!!
I suppose I am truly a work in progress--still learning--still growing--continuing to move forward on my journey.
Wednesday, July 03, 2013
I love to watch Joel Osteen. He always reminds me that I can either let situations be stumbling blocks or stepping stones. Right now I am facing difficult situations. I am sure everyone who reads this is facing difficult situations too. A friend told me that Rick Warren (pastor of Saddleback Church and author of The Purpose Driven Life) says that you are either in a storm, coming out of a storm, or going into a storm. Sometimes it seems that all three of those things are happening to me at the same time--this is one of those times.
In the midst of all of my challenges, I have completed my Couch to 5K training, created a Sparkpage and began blogging, fell off the wagon with my eating and tracking a few times, got back on the wagon, cried my eyes out, wiped my face and kept going.
Today when I finished my run and began stretching the tears began to flow. I might not have been able to contain them if I had not made the decision to let my challenges be stepping stones. After I pulled myself back together I looked up and saw a rainbow. You may be thinking what is the big deal about seeing a rainbow--well I asked God to please give me some "delight" (something I learned from Beth Moore's Bible studies) last night and I believe that rainbow was His answer. It was so cloudy but there in the sky was a rainbow to encourage me. When I saw it I remembered the scriptures in Genesis 9:12-17 about the rainbow being a symbol of God's covenant. Tears came to my eyes just typing that and remembering how my day began. These tears are different from the tears that I cried after my workout--these tears are tears of joy not sadness--these tears are my favorite kind of tears. I hope to cry more tears of joy and less tears of sadness as I keep moving along on my stepping stones.
Get An Email Alert Each Time BOROFITGIRL Posts