Tuesday, November 29, 2011
Better Homes and Gardens Magazine August 2011 page 180
Fiber for Life
You know that eating roughage keeps you regular; now comes word it could help you live longer too. In a 9-year study, researchers at the National Institutes of Health followed more than 388,000 volunteers ages 50-71 and discovered that women who consumed the most fiber were 34-59 percent less likely to die from infections, heart disease, or respiratory illness than those who ate the least. Although more research is needed to figure out why, study author Yikyung Park, Sc.D., says fiber might work by controlling inflammation, lowering blood lipids, and steadying blood sugar. One note: commercially made foods that are fortified with fiber, such as some brands of yogurt and crackers, were not accounted for in this study. For now, stick to plant-based sources with naturally occurring fiber, such as grains, legumes, veggies, and fruits.
21 grams of fiber recommended daily for women over 50. Bran flakes contain about 5 grams per serving.
So now the big question...AM I eating enough fiber? (I know I am not)! Are YOU?
Thursday, November 24, 2011
I have received this via email several times. Thought I would see if I can share it with you. It is lovely...and interesting. player.vimeo.com/video/27920977?titl
Wednesday, November 23, 2011
Friend on FaceBook posted a link to a quote. I like it...
ďTake care of your body. Itís the only place you have to live.Ē -- Jim Rohn
Tuesday, November 22, 2011
[I found this on the blog page of a quilting website (slightly edited comments but not text of article)]
Women Over 50 Rock!
Nov 7th, 2011 by Suzi
I recently received this and thought is was worth the read. If you are under 50 think of it as something to look forward to.
In case you missed it on 60 Minutes, this is what Andy Rooney thinks about women over 50. [MY NOTE...someone posted a link to Snopes about this. Andy Rooney is NOT the author...Frank Kaiser wrote it. Original may have been about women over 40..I am not sure. ]
As I grow in age, I value women over 50 most of all. Here are just a few reasons why:
A woman over 50 will never wake you in the middle of the night & ask, ĎWhat are you thinking?í She doesnít care what you think.
If a woman over 50 doesnít want to watch the game, she doesnít sit around whining about it. She goes and does something she wants to do, & itís usually more interesting.
Women over 50 are dignified. They seldom have a screaming match with you at the opera or in the middle of an expensive restaurant. Of course, if you deserve it, they wonít hesitate to shoot you, if they think they can get away with it.
Older women are generous with praise, often undeserved. They know what itís like to be unappreciated.
Women get psychic as they age. You never have to confess your sins to a woman over 50.
Once you get past a wrinkle or two, a woman over 50 is far sexier than her younger counterpart.
Older women are forthright and honest. Theyíll tell you right off if you are a jerk or if you are acting like one. You donít ever have to wonder where you stand with her.
Yes, we praise women over 50 for a multitude of reasons. Unfortunately, itís not reciprocal. For every stunning, smart, well-coiffed, hot woman over 50, there is a bald, paunchy relic in yellow pants making a fool of himself with some 22-year old waitress. Ladies, I apologize.
For all those men who say, ĎWhy buy the cow when you can get the milk for free? Hereís an update for you. Nowadays 80% of women are against marriage. Why? Because women realize itís not worth buying an entire pig just to get a little sausage!
Even if you arenít over 50 yet, you have to admit, this is funny!
Monday, November 21, 2011
Quote of the Day- from Lori (I found this on my sister-in-law's website...shared by one of her customers)
Written by a 90 year old This is something we should all read at least once a week!!!!! Make sure you read to the end!!!!!!
Written by Regina Brett, 90 years old, of the Plain Dealer, Cleveland, Ohio.
"To celebrate growing older, I once wrote the 45 lessons life taught me. It is the most requested column I've ever written.
My odometer rolled over to 90 in August, so here is the column once more:
1. Life isn't fair, but it's still good.
2. When in doubt, just take the next small step.
3. Life is too short Ė enjoy it.
4. Your job won't take care of you when you are sick. Your friends and
5. Pay off your credit cards every month.
6. You don't have to win every argument. Stay true to yourself.
7. Cry with someone. It's more healing than crying alone.
8. It's OK to get angry with God. He can take it.
9. Save for retirement starting with your first paycheck.
10. When it comes to chocolate, resistance is futile.
11. Make peace with your past so it won't screw up the present.
12. It's OK to let your children see you cry.
13. Don't compare your life to others. You have no idea what their journey is all about.
14. If a relationship has to be a secret, you shouldn't be in it.
15. Everything can change in the blink of an eye But don't worry; God never blinks.
16.. Take a deep breath. It calms the mind.
17. Get rid of anything that isn't useful. Clutter weighs you down in many ways.
18. Whatever doesn't kill you really does make you stronger.
19. It's never too late to be happy. But itís all up to you and no one else.
20. When it comes to going after what you love in life, don't take no for an answer.
21. Burn the candles, use the nice sheets, wear the fancy lingerie. Don't
save it for a special occasion. Today is special.
22. Over prepare, then go with the flow.
23. Be eccentric now. Don't wait for old age to wear purple.
24. The most important sex organ is the brain.
25. No one is in charge of your happiness but you.
26. Frame every so-called disaster with these words 'In five years, will
27. Always choose life.
28. Forgive but donít forget.
29. What other people think of you is none of your business.
30. Time heals almost everything. Give time time.
31. However good or bad a situation is, it will change.
32. Don't take yourself so seriously. No one else does.
33. Believe in miracles.
34. God loves you because of who God is, not because of anything you did or didn't do.
35. Don't audit life. Show up and make the most of it now.
36. Growing old beats the alternative -- dying young.
37. Your children get only one childhood.
38. All that truly matters in the end is that you loved.
39. Get outside every day. Miracles are waiting everywhere.
40. If we all threw our problems in a pile and saw everyone else's, we'd
grab ours back.
41. Envy is a waste of time. Accept what you already have not what you need.
42. The best is yet to come...
43. No matter how you feel, get up, dress up and show up.
45. Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift."
Get An Email Alert Each Time BOOKWERME Posts