Thursday, March 20, 2014
Here are a few suggestions to increase the calories burned in a day. How many more can you name?
1. While you blow dry your hair or brush your teeth, do some stretching, just don't stand still.
2. Park at the far end of the parking lot at work or when you shop.
3. At the grocery store, always use a cart to take items to your car, even if you only have one light bag. If the parking lot isn't busy, jog pushing the cart. After you unload the cart, take it back to the store.
4. Walk around your house before you go inside.
5. Use the stairs instead of the elevator. You can also go up 2 stairs, down one until you reach the top.
6. When it's time to fold laundry, put the laundry basket on the floor and bend over to pick up each item before folding it. Try standing at a table to fold that laundry. Put the laundry for each family member away in a separate trip.
7. Don't try to consolidate trips in your home. If you iron, put each piece of laundry away after you iron it. Any extra movement will increase the number of steps each day.
8. Stand while reading or watching tv. Walking in place will also help when watching television.
9. Do some type of exercise during commercials.
10. Don't sit still. Do isometric exercises, stretch, or just wiggle like a small child.
11. JUST MOVE!!!!!
Thursday, July 12, 2012
July has started out on a wild roller coaster ride, but hopefully the downward spiral is coming to an end. Last week I had 4 days that were 20 (or more) hours long. During my college days of long ago, this might have been normal behavior and I could have kept on going with little or no problem.
At the age of 60, this isn't the case. By Tuesday I was wandering through the house like a zombie, munching on anything that would qualify as food and having no idea what the word exercise meant.
Yesterday things started to change. I finally got 8 hours of sleep Tuesday night and went to the Y for a nice workout yesterday afternoon. Today my body is telling me just how much it missed the workouts, so today I'm headed out for a bike ride, then back home to do some house cleaning and run some errands.
It feels great to be rested and have a plan!
Wednesday, May 02, 2012
My healthy living routine during April was similar to the weather here during that month--hot one week and freezing the next!!! The best way I know to describe the month would be to say that sleep and exercise were lacking while food and stress were in abutdance. I did manage to maintain the weight loss of previous months, but I had hoped to be a few pounds lighter by now.
During May I need to find more time for me to exercise and sleep--I know it has to be there somewhere, and I am going to find it!
Monday, April 02, 2012
March has been a month of contrasts! A week of regular exercise and eating habits would be followed by a week of little exercise and eating foods that weren't as healthy as they could have been. This wasn't the way I had planned things, but as often happens, life got in the way.
During one of the weeks that I was derailed, I had several 18 and 19 hours days which were spent in traveling to visit a sick family member and taking care of his personal and financial affairs. On the days I was at home, the traveling had taken its toll, and I had to push myself to get things done at home, so exercise and meal planning moved to a lower priority.
Last week I started spring cleaning, and needed to prepare for a family visit, so a lot of my exercise was moving furniture, scrubbing floors, and pushing a steam cleaner across the carpets. Spring cleaning isn't finished, but the next part of the project will be fun! I need to clean out my closet and chest of drawers. In the last few days, I've discovered that I need to get rid of some of my clothes because they are way too big. It seems strange, but the clothes seemed to fit okay during the first 20 pounds of weight loss, but these last 10 has resulted in me looking like the local bag lady! When the closets are cleaned, I guess I need to go shopping and see if I can refill them with clothes to go with me through the next 30 pounds!
Get An Email Alert Each Time BGUMBA Posts