10,000-14,999 SparkPoints
BEANCOUNTER2's Recent Blog Entries

Disney Marathon 1/9/2011

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

So my dream to run a marathon started 20+ years ago. Before I had kids I used to run and loved it… But honestly I really wasn’t a good runner back then. I always seemed to get injured after running a few months so I really didn’t think I had what it took to run 26.2 miles. As the years went on the dream didn’t die but became more and more distant. Had to face the fact that I was packing around an extra 50 pounds that had to go before I could hope to check the box on my marathon dream.

When I crossed that finish line on January 9th at Walt Disney World, I realized my dream. I had accomplished what seemed unattainable for so many years. I’m not one to push myself…I like my comfort zone… but I discovered with the right training and a solid running base 26.2 miles was not that difficult to run. I conquered the fear of failure and fear of injury and accomplished what few attempt to do. I am a Marathoner!

The details:
5,943 overall out of 13,529
320/951 in division (40-44)
2037/6269 women

I started with the 4:30 pace group at the very front of wave 4. The start was neat because each wave got to walk to the start line and got their own send off with fireworks. I wore my Hood to coast singlet, capris and pink compression socks.
The pace leader chattered constantly the whole time I ran with her. I liked it. It kept me focused and the early miles in the dark clicked off rather quickly. We dedicated each mile to someone and thought of them for that mile we ran. I lost the group around mile 9 as we were running through the Magic Kingdom; there was a lot of congestion in the narrow lanes but I still kept up that steady pace however, until about mile 16. I slowed down after that but still felt really good. The entertainment along the course when running outside the parks is constant and is good distraction. There were lots of opportunities to stop and take pictures with the Disney characters…I did a few, but mostly didn’t want to get out of the running groove. I started getting a little shaky at mile 24 but it didn’t last long. The crowd support the last 2 miles running through Epcot was great - strangers calling your name, encouraging you to keep going, friendly touches.

At the 25 mile mark I caught up to a woman (Kelly) who had started the pace group with me. We had been passing each other the whole race. She asked if I wanted to run the last mile with her…it was a good focus at the end and I appreciated her friendship at that time. I couldn’t quite keep up with her but it helped me push through that final mile.

Mentally I felt great…Physically I was amazed I had no calf cramps, no blisters, no pains anywhere except my left lower leg right above my ankle. By the time I got back to the hotel it was swollen and red and it is still a little sore a week after the race.

I am certain I could have run a faster race than I did. But I met my own expectations and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. This was Disney and I had traveled 3,000 miles…I wanted to enjoy every bit of it…and I did!
I also enjoyed getting to know fellow Sparker Suezette and her husband Phil. My DH and I weren’t in Orlando very long and unfortunately didn’t have the chance to meet up with any other Sparkers except Molly who ran both the half and full marathons (truly Goofy!)

Will I run another marathon? I don’t know – it’s going to be hard to beat the Disney experience. My family supported me 100% in my efforts and I hope that my children learned they can do anything they set out to do, no matter how impossible it seems.

Here are a few pictures. The link to view the official ones is:

Suezette and I before the race

Me with 2 of my kiddos - they were so proud of the shirts!

  Member Comments About This Blog Post:

SPOOKIEDO 3/11/2011 10:37PM

    You are soooooooooooooooo awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

emoticon emoticon emoticon

You did it!!!!!!!!!!!! emoticon

Comment edited on: 3/11/2011 10:39:13 PM

Report Inappropriate Comment
KARRILEE 1/29/2011 12:50AM

    AWESOME Polly! I still wanna hear about it in person - but thanks for sharing your story! So powerful, and inspiring!!! We must do lunch soon!

Love ya!

Report Inappropriate Comment
CMERUN29 1/20/2011 10:13PM

    Congratulations, Polly! How awesome to now be called a Marathoner! Great job!

Report Inappropriate Comment
JENNI0527 1/20/2011 9:00AM


Report Inappropriate Comment
TENACITY129 1/20/2011 8:39AM


Report Inappropriate Comment
MKKAYA 1/20/2011 12:47AM


Comment edited on: 1/20/2011 12:50:28 AM

Report Inappropriate Comment
MKKAYA 1/20/2011 12:46AM

    Polly, thanks for sharing your experience with us! What an awesome job you did! I am sure your kids will never forget that there mom ran a marathon and it was a Disney World. I am very proud of you and I appreciate the time we got to spend at HTC - thanks so much for the support! Rest up and bask in the glow that you are a MARATHONER......

Could be I will be joining your exclusive club this year baring any injuries!!


Report Inappropriate Comment
KGPOSSIBLE 1/20/2011 12:35AM


Congratulations on completing a life goal! What an accomplishment....thank you for sharing your experience and pictures....what an example you just set for your kids...I bet your family was so proud.

Again, congrats!!
emoticon emoticon emoticon emoticon emoticon emoticon emoticon


Report Inappropriate Comment
GAYEMC 1/19/2011 7:52PM

    That's awesome Polly! Congrats on being a marathoner. Love the pic of you and Suzette together.

Report Inappropriate Comment
VICKI1215 1/19/2011 5:37PM

    Great job! Congratulations!

Report Inappropriate Comment
ZORAHGAIL 1/19/2011 3:34PM

    Yay Polly! Congrats!

Report Inappropriate Comment
CASSIOEPIA 1/19/2011 12:24PM

    Congratulations Polly! I think you had a fantastic pace going through that. Great job on your marathon.

Report Inappropriate Comment
MARYC830 1/19/2011 7:32AM

    emoticon emoticonWhat a fantastic experience!! I'm glad you were able to achieve a long time dream of yours, and it sounds like you did emoticon

Report Inappropriate Comment

I conquered HTC and the Blackberry bushes-Part II

Tuesday, September 07, 2010

I left off part I about 6:00 am Saturday morning. Maria, Nancy and Kim were resting in the van and Jyll, Mike and I were out on the ground in bags (we could tell who the campers were LOL). Mike set the alarm for 10:30 so we would have plenty of time to be ready to send Maria off once Penny and Van 1 showed up. However, Nancy and Kim were up and at it about 9:30. I was NOT ready to get up. I had felt refreshed after the short rest I had after Leg 1, but this little bit of rest after Leg 2 left me feeling Yucky and shaky. The lack of sleep Feeling. But I didn't want to panic the rest of the early birds by hanging out in my bag for another hour so I reluctantly got up.

First thing I noticed was the 20 minute line at the port a potty's. Not a good sign since my tummy was not behaving very well. Not unusual for me but I had gotten through the last 24 hours and 2 legs with no issues so I had been cautiously optimistic that my food choices the prior 24 hours had served me well. So no coffee for me this morning. I downed a banana and yogurt along with choice drugs and had time for a couple of turns in the potty line. I guess I got up early for good reason-LOL. The mood of the van was pretty somber. We were all tired and knew we would all have to dig deep to get through the next 6-7 hours where the party at the beach was waiting.
We got Maria ready to run and waited to connect with our comrades in Van 1. With the lack of cell service we hadn't talked to them since we had started off into the mountains hours before. We had spotty cell service at our location but Van 1 didn't yet. Penny showed up and handed off to Maria - but no Van 1. This was the area where the traffic was the heaviest and we were afraid that if we waited for them to get there we would be missing our next runner. So off we went-leaving Penny there to wait for her van.
During Jyll's leg I did some warm up running to see how my tummy was going to behave. I was feeling much better by then and my legs were surprisingly strong. I wasn't running again until after Mike's long last leg of almost 8 miles. I was so glad my last leg was the shortest - only 4.13 miles. Traffic was thinning out at this point so we had some time to hang out while waiting for Mike. I saw him coming this time and he handed off to me for the last time. Leg 34 starts and ends with hills. Once I started up the initial hill my legs didn't feel quite as strong as they had an hour previously. This road also had a lot of oncoming traffic, no shoulder and the sloped roadway so even though it was only 4 miles it was definitely the worst leg I had to run. My pace slowed down to a 10 minute mile and my legs were burning finishing up the last mile-but I did it and was so glad to hand off to Nancy!
Nancy had a long leg on gravel and then it was Kim's turn to finish off the last 5 miles. We headed off as soon as Nancy came in to try and beat Kim to the finish line as we knew it would be hard to do. We originally thought we could make it to the condo and park but once we got into Seaside knew that would be unlikely. We did find a spot on the street and huffed it to the finish line. We found the rest of the team easily and got into the shoot to wait - and almost immediately heard "TEAM 649" and there was Kim rounding the corner.
Wahoo we DID it! 34 hrs and 2 minutes as a team

After we got our medals and our team picture taken everyone scattered. There were thousands of people on the beach. Mike and I headed over to the American Cancer society booth to see about getting food and a massage-courtesy of us both raising $500 for ACS. By then it was after 5:00 pm so the food was about gone and the massage list was long. Mike snagged some smoked salmon and I did manage to sneak in to the massage table and get the knots worked out of my calves!
The rest of the evening was a bit of a blur. I somehow managed to get a shower, have a quick snack with some Van 1'rs -Jackie, Leah, Gaye and headed back to Kim's house with her, hubby John, Nancy and Trish. We got back about midnight and spent the next hour and a half in Kim's hot tub reliving our experience.
In spite of that I got a decent sleep and was able to say goodbye to everyone the next day before I headed off for the 4 hr drive home and back to real life.
On the way back I wanted to stop and pick blackberries since they grow profusely everywhere. There are bushes just a couple of blocks from Kim's house so I stopped there. The bushes are taller than me and have thorns everywhere-including under the leaves. I was wearing my nylon HTC shirt and it didn't take long for the bushes to see me as fresh meat and grab both sleeves of my shirt. I couldn't believe it - here I had just survived the biggest adventure of my life and I was going to be devoured by the blackberry bushes. I hoped Kim would come by soon, see my car sticking out of the bushes and rescue me. I did manage to get free on my own. don a heavy duty jacket that resisted those buggers and picked a large bowlful of berries good enough for 2 batches of freezer jam!

I learned a lot on this adventure- the value of:
Chauffeurs-thanks Mike for driving
Hugs-especially Hugs

We rocked HTC!

  Member Comments About This Blog Post:

ETTEZEUS 9/8/2010 11:57PM

    Excellent Polly! I'm looking forward to hearing your experience at person at the Disney full in Jan.

We will have to get together there!
Can't wait to meet you!

Report Inappropriate Comment
MIAMIA7 9/8/2010 7:17PM

    Great job Polly! Thanks for a great blog!

Report Inappropriate Comment
DDHEART 9/8/2010 11:14AM

    You "slowed down to a 10min pace" !!!!!! for me 10min pace is like a momentary fluke that occurs in the beginning of a rested run! What a hero you are!....though I guess when you're running with the threat of "needing to run" it might speed you up...LOL No, I've been there, doesn't speed you up, in fact had it actually nearly stopped me since running and trying not to ummm well we won't go there.

Report Inappropriate Comment
KEAKMAN 9/8/2010 9:41AM

    Polly, you were a trooper - unhappy tummy and all, yet you were still smiling at then end!

Report Inappropriate Comment
KASHMIR 9/7/2010 7:17PM

    Polly, Love hearing about Van 2's experiences! Thanks for sharing with us. Congrats!!!

Report Inappropriate Comment
JOPAPGH 9/7/2010 5:14PM

    Nice report, including the blackberry induced clothing wounds.

It was fun ghost running with you!

Report Inappropriate Comment
GAYEMC 9/7/2010 4:06PM

    Great to hear how the other side fared. Hope the jam was worth the thorns, lol!

Report Inappropriate Comment
RDARLING 9/7/2010 3:03PM

    I hope your HTC shirt survived the blackberry thorns!

Report Inappropriate Comment
CASSIOEPIA 9/7/2010 2:48PM

    Hahaha Dana! Freezer jam is just jam, but instead of canning it, you freeze it. I laughed at the image of somebody more tired than they've ever been in their life, stopping during a four hour drive to pick blackberries! LOL, what a girl.

I never even thought of you guys having a struggle to get to the finish line before Kim, but of course that would be something to make sure got done.

I think you all did a fantastic job! Congratulations on a well run race, and thank you so much for the blogs!

Report Inappropriate Comment
ZIRCADIA 9/7/2010 2:26PM

    OK this is NOT the kind of comment I expected to be making on this entry but... FREEZER JAM??? What's that??? :D

Report Inappropriate Comment

I conquered HTC AND the Blackberry bushes

Thursday, September 02, 2010

First of all I'd like to thank both Kate and Mike for putting together such an awesome event. They both spent such an incredible amount of time into the planning and except for a few rookie mistakes the whole weekend went well! Thanks guys!

I was in van 2 with Coach Mike, Kim, Nancy, Maria and Jyll. We had decided not to go up the mountain to cheer Van 1 on-instead we cheered from our beds. I however don't think I slept a wink Thursday night-was very wired and excited. We all had breakfast in Gresham together and then headed to meet van #1 at the Fred Meyer exchange.

I was runner #10 and met up with Mike on the Springwater trail.
Here I was waiting for Mike:

The handoff went well and I was on my way at 3:53 pm.

It was pretty warm and I took off fast. For the first 3 miles lots of bicyclists passed me going the other direction but I didn't see a single HTC runner. I was getting nervous that I was on the wrong trail (Nancy's biggest fear). Then I started getting passed by a few faster runners. The trail was nice but the last mile was on city streets-one big hill followed by a nice downhill finish. Garmin moving time was 59:31!
John (my ghostie from Pennsylvania) was running in step with me all the way-I figured he would leave me in his dust 'cause he's so speedy but he was a nice ghost!

I handed off to Nancy, stretched a bit and we headed to the next exchange to drop Kim off - not realizing we were in rush hour Portland traffic and battling battery issues.
First rookie mistake was not jumping out of the van at the exchange but deciding to park first-the parking was about 2 blocks further and down about a thousand steps. My legs weren't liking all those stairs after the run! Kim got there just in time to meet Nancy - with no potty break!
We headed out to get a battery for the van before heading to our sleeping place-Mike did a fabulous job getting the new battery installed and we were on our way in no time!
We were almost to Exchange 18 to get sleep and Mike realized the battery hadn't done the trick and it was really the alternator. We all were doing a bit of praying by this time!
But lucky for us and the whole team- Kim's husband John came to our rescue.
Jyll, Mike and I got a little bit of rest in a nice warm high school gym (this was right before exchange 18) while Kim and Nancy got everything transferred over to Sparky #2. Kim did take a shower first - she was the only one that got one! The rest of us just baby wiped it!

We then headed into our nighttime runs. Maria, Jyll and Mike were all before me. It was after midnight and there were getting to be many many vans on the windy mountain roads. It reminded me of the fair at night. Traffic was really slow. When Mike headed out for his gravel run we told him to take it easy and not try to break any speed records. We drove really slow because we were trying not to kick up dust and then the exchange was really really crowded. By this time everyone in the van except for me was pretty much out of it- except for Kim who was driving. We finally parked and tried to figure out where the exchange was in the dark. I had the timing clipboard as I headed to the exchange and there was MIKE! AGGGGGHHHH! I was trying to get my blinking lights and Garmin turned on while juggling the clipboard. So finally I got down there-talked to Mike a bit-wrote down his estimated time and off I went at 3:17 am.

The run started up a gravel path into COMPLETE DARKNESS. Now I'm used to running at night but this was pitch black. Luckily it only lasted about 1 minute and I was back on the main highway. It was a cool 45 degree night with an almost full moon. The uphill was over before I knew it and then I had a blessed 5 miles of downhill! I was a little slower than I expected but finished 6.81 miles in roughly 1:08. Passed off to Texas gal Nancy who was freezing in the 45 degree weather.
After our legs were done we drove to Exchange 30 and luckily got a place to park the van and sleep-this was the busiest exchange-20 min lines at the port a potties. Here's me in the sleeping bag on the left. I had brought ear plugs but both times I laid down I couldn't find them.

I still didn't feel like I slept but it was nice to get out of the van and lay down for a couple of hours.

To be continued:

  Member Comments About This Blog Post:

CASSIOEPIA 9/3/2010 11:01PM

    You do tell a good story Polly - can't wait for the next chapter. Wow, Mike referenced that you were late to the exchange, now I know why. I wonder how many times a team would have to run the HTC race before they got all the advantages down pat. It sounds like quite the adventure just getting the van around, let alone the pitch black running and the temperature extremes.

You did awesome!

Report Inappropriate Comment
JOPAPGH 9/3/2010 2:43PM

    Nice post, my running comrade. You did rock legs 10 and 22!

Comment edited on: 9/7/2010 5:08:30 PM

Report Inappropriate Comment
GOEGIRL 9/3/2010 10:30AM

    Wow - what a logistics nightmare this must have been! All the unexpected lineups and changes in conditions (not to mention the van issues looming over you all)! Yikes! Sounds like a really trying time. You tell it well - I'm on the edge of my seat!

Report Inappropriate Comment
HEALTH4LYFE 9/2/2010 10:25PM

    Wow! Just have us drooling for more and realizing all of the sacrifices & obstacles you encountered while on your adventure. Looking forward to the next chapter.... emoticon

Report Inappropriate Comment
BOBBYD31 9/2/2010 9:21PM

    ok, part 2 now, please. excellent blog

Report Inappropriate Comment

    Can't wait for the next part of your story!! You did awesome!

Report Inappropriate Comment
GAYEMC 9/2/2010 8:24PM

    So glad to read some #2 stories. I know it was brutal and it was the pitts being out of touch with you folks (and the ghosties). Can't wait to read more!

Oh, and loving the pics from #2!

Comment edited on: 9/2/2010 8:25:09 PM

Report Inappropriate Comment
MIAMIA7 9/2/2010 3:08PM

    Polly-great blog. Waiting for the next installment. You coasties are amazing heros. We ghosties (most of us) had it easy with real showers and real food!

Report Inappropriate Comment
TAMTAM64 9/2/2010 3:06PM

    Great blog - I'm ready to read more!

It's great to hear the stories from Van#2 - we didn't hear much from you guys during the run.

You & John (Jopa) really rocked your runs together!


Report Inappropriate Comment
KASHMIR 9/2/2010 1:18PM

    I am SO loving reading your Van #2 story~!~! Can't wait for the next installment!!!!

Report Inappropriate Comment
ZIRCADIA 9/2/2010 11:20AM

    AWESOME!!! I can't wait to read the rest!!!! :D

Report Inappropriate Comment
LYNNANN43 9/2/2010 11:13AM

    The more Coastie Blogs I read, the more your guys are becoming even bigger Heroes to me!

What an experience! Can't wait for the next installment!

Report Inappropriate Comment
RDARLING 9/2/2010 10:55AM

    Polly- Enjoying blog #1. All these blogs combined certainly share a story! The more runner blogs I read, the more I feel like I really was there with you all!

Congrats on a job well done!

Report Inappropriate Comment
DDHEART 9/2/2010 10:42AM

    Great blog! When you put all the logistics together and the "hardships" it makes the whole epic adventure even more awesome if that's possible....I can't imagine running after no sleep and only rest being gotten on the ground! Yikes you guys are super heroes!

Report Inappropriate Comment
MARIE625 9/2/2010 10:13AM

    Great story! I'm not sure what would have freaked me out more - running lonely mountain roads/trails in the pitch dark or trying to sleep on the ground. You Coasties are an amazing bunch!

Report Inappropriate Comment
ETTEZEUS 9/2/2010 10:05AM

    I'm still amazed you and John ran the same times! That was awesome when he posted in the ghostie emails that you did.
Great blog. Looking forward to the rest of the story!

Report Inappropriate Comment
KEAKMAN 9/2/2010 9:46AM

    Polly, I loved your blog - except for Mike, yours is the only one I have read from van #2! Thanks for sharing and I will be eagerly looking for the next installment!

Report Inappropriate Comment

Busy Weekend!

Sunday, June 06, 2010

My husband is the Pack leader for our local Cub Scout group and we hosted the annual "Blue and Gold Banquet" at our house again this year. It was supposed to be on Friday night but got changed at the last minute to Saturday because of a baseball tournament that most of our boys that were to be crossing over to Boy Scouts were playing at (mine included). I was actually gave us more time to get ready. After all the rain we have been having, the weather on Saturday was PERFECT for an outdoor potluck and ceremony. We had right at 100 people here. The ceremony was fun- we had 8 boys "graduating" and the ceremony went well. My husband got a nice gift certificate at the local Nursery one of our leaders owns to thank him for all his hard work over the years-that was really cool. I still have one more son that will still be in this pack next year but it remains to be seen if Andy will continue on as the head. He was hoping to step down but unfortunately no one has stepped up to take his place, so we'll see what he decides.
We then had 14 people camping out last night in our yard and I woke up at 6:00 am to RAIN..not again.... So everyone came in the house and we fixed breakfast for the crew. I was planning to run early but it rained steady until almost noon....and we had 20 people to cook for. After getting the soggy folks off on their way, my hubby and 2 of my boys headed to the Mariners game in Seattle leaving me with the youngest 2 and a birthday party to go to.
So I dropped my daughter off at the birthday party and the rain stopped... Yeah! My son rode his bike and I ran the 5 miles that I planned to do for the Hood to Coast Team plus another 1 mile of warm up and cool down. Picked DD back up and it immediately started raining again.
Will rest a bit and run another 3 miles tonight rain or shine once the boys get back from Seattle...
UPDATE: I live on a hill...a big hill...I decided I would run the 5K tonight from my house instead of driving anywhere, which means the whole first half (with the exception of two smaller hills) is all downhill...unfortuntely the last half is all uphill. About five minutes before I ventured out of the house my neighbor calls and says he just heard a BEAR has been spotted running across the field by my house. We've seen cougars, we've seen elk but never a bear.
I headed out anyway (opposite direction) and completed in 29:30. I felt pretty good and the kids were thrilled I was back and had not been eaten by the bear.

First run was 48:20 for 5 miles...Second run-3.1 miles all hills was 29:30. Add in another 1.5 miles of warming up/cooling down - total for the day 9.5 miles! Wahoo!

I'm feeling on track for the Smith Rock Half Marathon in Oregon on July 10th with some Sparkbuddies I can't wait to meet.

  Member Comments About This Blog Post:

KAYAKID 6/7/2010 3:15PM

    Polly, we can't wait to be there either! I have some news! I will sparkmail you the rest. I have a scout hike on Saturday - please weather guys no rain. We are tired of it! Good job with the scouting activities.


Report Inappropriate Comment

First Blog about First Half Marathon

Thursday, September 24, 2009

So I've been on Spark for just over a year. I've read hundreds of blogs. I'm not sure why I haven't felt the need to blog myself. But I haven't. So here we go with my first attempt. We'll see if anyone actually reads or if it is just for me.

In the year I've been on Spark I've lost more than 60 pounds. I have maintained since May. In June I decided to start training for a 13.1 mile run. I was faithful to my schedule and most weeks ran 5 days a week. It was pretty easy when it was not getting dark until 10 pm. I could get my family dinner and then go out and run at dusk on my farm roads. It got harder the last few weeks of training when it was getting dark a lot earlier. But I kept at it and felt completely prepared to do the whole 13 without a lot of pain.

The race I chose to do was Skagit Flats on September 13 which is about a 3 hr drive from my house. My husband is a Navy reservist and his squadron was having their annual family picinic that weekend so I decided I could do this run at the same time. I had a hard time sleeping in a hotel room -strange bed and all 6 of us in the same room. I also hadn't thought that I was scheduling this run right before a major tax deadline for me (9/15) and that I really needed to be working all weekend. So I also was working away the night before (thank goodness for wireless internet) on getting my tax returns reviewed.

Hubby had to get to work by 5:45 am for a flight on the morning of the race so he wasn't able to cheer me on. I brought my 2 oldest boys for that. My two younger ones stayed with a friend for the morning. The race started at 8:00 and I was checked in only about 15 minutes prior. The weather was absolutely beatiful for western washington. A quick potty break and I was off and running with about 700 others. It took me 8 seconds to cross the starting line.

I had hoped to pace at a 10 minute mile and finish in about 2:15. The first 4 miles I was consistently pacing a 9:10 minute mile. It felt great and didn't feel too fast at all. The race was sponsored by the local high school track team and they had tons of helpers and aid stations all a long the out and back course. I had planned on walking at the end of every mile for a minute or so, but I kept pace with this group of runners that were just ahead of me most of the race. At the 7 mile mark I downed a GU gel (vanilla)-it was good and gave me a shot of energy that I needed. I slowed down somewhat but just kept plugging along. I think I only ended up walking at about 3 water stations and didn't have to make any pit stops. I started passing a few runners around mile 10 but also had a few passing me as well. The route was mostly on farm roads like I was used to training on but the last mile or so was through town and running on the sidewalks. There were a few well wishers along the route but most of the time we were just out running alone.

The race ended at the high school track - I finished strong with official time of 2:06:05 which averages to a 9:37 minute mile - Wahoo! Even better, I was hardly sore the next day-no blisters, no chafing-o I guess that means I should have pushed it a bit harder. But what a great first race.

What's next? I'm contemplating running another Half close by on October 11. It is a hilly course which would be completely different then the flat one I just ran. I'm hoping I can get a fellow Sparker to run with me. I want to do a Full Marathon next fall but won't start training for that until after next tax season.

Oh and I bought a new pair of running shoes after the race - I couldn't believe I had already worn out my Nike Air Max's that I got in May.

I love being a runner again...........................

  Member Comments About This Blog Post:

KGPOSSIBLE 10/21/2009 1:14AM

    I'm sorry I missed this blog until tonight!

Congratulations on doing a half marathon. From the congratulations on your comments you must have done the one on October 11th too.....

There are a group of Sparkers on a running team I belong to that are contemplating doing a Marathon next October in Victoria Canada.....One of the guys I run with here (Kayakid) is going to make it a family vacation, and I thought that might be fun too with my husband and boys. The other Sparkers already live there or nearby. If you're interested I can send you the details. I thought it would be fun to do my first Marathon in another Country and with a lot of support! It is a fun group of people.

It sounds like you like the running as much a I do.....

Congratulations on a great Half Marathon!!!!

emoticon emoticon emoticon emoticon

Report Inappropriate Comment
JEANELLEN59 10/8/2009 12:05PM

  I agree with Spook!! I wish I could have been there to cheer you on. You must be so very proud of yourself. You have come so far - literally and figuratively. I just realized that word - figuratively - your figure has come a long way too. LOL

Report Inappropriate Comment
DINY123 10/8/2009 6:04AM

    very inspirational- and makes us believe we can do it too!

Report Inappropriate Comment
SPOOKIEDO 10/8/2009 3:53AM

    Awesome. I wish I could have been there cheering you on. You did a fantastic job. What a wonderful accomplishment!!

Report Inappropriate Comment
KARRILEE 9/24/2009 8:11PM

    You are so awesome!!! I am so proud of you - and beating your goal time - just icing on the cake!!! Just hearing you talk about the running tires me - but also inspires me to train on! At this point I can't even imagine a nine or ten minute mile - not to mention 13 of them - but maybe one day?!

Keep on keepin' on!

Report Inappropriate Comment
BIONIC2 9/24/2009 6:10AM

    emoticon emoticon emoticon emoticon emoticon emoticon
AWESOME!! I can't believe how busy you were just the night before! Well done Bean! You must feel great!

Report Inappropriate Comment