Tuesday, February 25, 2014
I have to come to terms with the fact that I am a food addict. I will never be able to eat "normally". I cannot eat treats in moderation. There are some foods I have to give up and never eat again if I am going to gain control of this beast.
According to Authority Nutrition, the signs of food addiction are:
1. You frequently get cravings for certain foods, despite feeling full and having just finished a nutritious meal.
2. When you give in and start eating a food you were craving, you often find yourself eating much more than you intended to.
3. When you eat a food you were craving, you sometimes eat to the point of feeling excessively “stuffed.”
4. You often feel guilty after eating particular foods, yet find yourself eating them again soon after.
5. You sometimes make excuses in your head about why you should eat something that you are craving.
6. You have repeatedly tried to quit eating or setting rules (includes cheat meals/days) about certain foods, but been unsuccessful.
7. You often hide your consumption of unhealthy foods from others.
8. You feel unable to control your consumption of unhealthy foods, despite knowing that they are causing you physical harm (includes weight gain).
They say if you relate to 4 or 5 you have a problem with food and if you relate to 6, you probably have a food addiction. I hit all 8 on a regular basis.
I know that sugar (and salt to a lesser degree) are triggers for me. I know from past experience that when I cut these out, I lose weight, gain energy, and generally feel better. I have to get past the feeling of "being deprived". I have to care enough about me to really take care of me.