Friday, March 09, 2012
I'm in the Better Sleep Challenge and should be at the end of week 3 (of 4). I am doing much better lately, getting closer to 7-8 hrs each night for the last three or four nights. I had been staying up waiting for my husband to get home, which was turning out to be 2-4 AM. Then I had to be up at 7:30-8 AM, so I was not getting enough sleep at all. I had to start going to bed earlier. I have and I feel much better. I have more energy all day, I can exercise more, I stay on track with healthy eating more, I can resist sugar cravings better, and I have more patience for my son and husband. It is close to bedtime right now and I just lost a huge post about this due to some technical glitch of it suddenly saying I had entered my name and password wrong and then the window closed. I have no idea what that was about. This is briefer than the first write-up.
1. What time did you wake up today? - 6:30 AM
2. What time are you lying down to go to sleep? before 1 AM, close to midnight
3. What, if any, was your bedtime routine? - take out contacts, use bathroom, and brush teeth, stop listening to loud music if I was, and just get to bed. I can usually fall right asleep. If I can't, a little reading helps.
4. What were the last food(s) you consumed tonight? (Include type, amount, and time you ate.)
Fish dinner at 9:30 with Hake fillet, broccoli, and brown and wild rice. Then an ice cream bar and green mint tea - by 10 pm. This was a bit too late for me to eat my meal.
5. Did you exercise today? (Include the type, duration, and time of day if you exercised.)
Yes, two walks - one mile in 22 minutes and .8 mile in 24. My knee went out of place during second walk this evening and I was not able to do my dance party exercise.
6. Did you consume any alcoholic beverages today? (Include type, number, and time of day.)
7. Did you consume any caffeinated drinks or foods today? (Include type, number, and time of day.)
Yes, black tea about noon, and two cups of green tea - late afternoon and right after dinner (10 pm). Still very sleepy, though.
8. Did you take any medications (prescription and/or over-the-counter) today? (Include type, amount, and time of day.)
No, just my vitamins
9. Did you take any naps today? (Include number of naps, duration of each, and time of day.)
10. What types of stressors did you encounter today, and what types do you expect to encounter tomorrow?
husband annoyed me somewhat, but mostly the stressor was my sore knee hurting and preventing me from exercising as much as I wanted.
tomorrow - my son will probably bug me to play a lot. I hope my knee will be better. Husband will be home.
11. How hungry did you feel today? (1- Not hungry, 2- Normal hunger, 3- Strong hunger, 4- Extreme hunger)
3- normal, moderate hunger. I ate regularly.
12. How awake did you feel today? (1- Exhausted, 2- Somewhat tired, 3- Fairly alert, 4- Wide awake)
somewhere between 2 and 3
13. How irritable did you feel today? (1- Calm, 2- Slightly annoyed, 3- Moderately irritable, 4- Highly irritable)
no more than 2
Next, draw a line of Zzz's across the page beneath your answers to these questions.
When you wake up, answer the following questions below your "sleep" line:
1. How long did it take you to fall asleep last night? (This may be an estimate.)
less than 5 minutes. Falling asleep is not usually a challenge for me.
2. How many times did you wake up during the night? (Include times you woke up and how long you stayed awake.)
none.. just about 6:15 when I figured my son would be up soon.. and then I got up at 6:30.
3. In total, how many hours did you sleep last night?
6 and a half! Felt just a tiny bit sleep deprived.
Heading to bed in about 5 minutes now.. so it will be close to midnight again. Getting more sleep has definitely been helpful!