20,000-24,999 SparkPoints
ANGELFINDER's Recent Blog Entries

Infection Round 2

Friday, July 25, 2014

Well, I just got home May 1 from my big round with the infections I had and they are sending out the home health care people. I have a nurse, PT and OT coming out several times a week. Things were progressing, sores were healing, till I started to notice my leg getting red color again.
The nurse said my leg was starting to feel warm, but I passed it off as just being hot..and I was.

May 21, nurse was coming in for her visit and I was laying on the bed, ready for the bandages, etc to do. As soon as she walked into the room, she yelled "your legs, what's wrong?"She felt them and said they were really getting warm...I need to go to the ER as soon as I can.

May 22 - It took some doing to get someone to take me and for me to walk down the steps.
Got to ER at 5:30 pm. They do their blood draws -- 9 first time, then 4, then 3 so that by 8:00 pm they had taken 16 vials.

9:20 they came in and hooked me up to an antibiotic and the Dr informed me that I was staying...legs were infected again.

Right away they stuck me on 40mg of Lasix IV..That stuff is miserable.
They want to send me to a long term care facility, but between the insurance co. and my weight, it didn't go through. I'm also told I will need Lymphodema treatments. Which means going to the center...but the Dr thinks there is a place to do it at my house, going to work on that.
They up my Lasix to 40 mg twice a day (80mg) and I was going like crazy.
They decided to do a urine test that required a folley cath for 24 hours and bag kept on ice.
After the test, they left it in, because of the IV Lasix, it was just easier that way.

They discovered that the first time I was in - I had 4 different infections going at the same time ( wonder why I was so sick) . What had happened was that one of the infections I had became resistant to the antibiotic, so it came back. They now went from Vancomyacin to Levithromyacin. ( Not sure of exact spellings). After a few days of the can be changed to a pill..great !

Kidney Dr. said no more Ibuprophen for me...kidney's don't like it. Also found out that the kidney's don't like all this Lasix either, so cutting it down to 20 mg.

They ran a echo on my heart to make sure it didn't suffer any ill effects from my last bout and also a Doppler on my legs to check for Blood Clots from all this..both came out fine.

Insurance company wants me sent straight home after the hospital, but a young woman Dr there said no way. After the social worker and everybody else failed to get the ins. co. to let me go to a Skilled Care facility, she decided to take things in her own hands. As of 5 pm I was going home..then the nurses came back in and said that at 7 pm I will be going to Skilled care.
They said I should of heard the Dr on the phone...she read them the riot act and told them off up one side and down the other. I was going !

May 28
At the skilled care facility they right away started therapy on me. Everyday except Sat and Sun. They gave me exercises to do for legs and arms, weights, a machine called SciFit - it's like climbing stairs while pump with your legs up in front of you. You also use your arms to go back and forth. They had me climbing regular steps...up 4 down 4, up 4 down 4.
The we do walking in the least as much as my bad knee let's me and my breathing.
One of the arm exercises consists of doing a machine that works like a bike for the arms, along with weights and rubber band exercises.
They started me on a new pain med..Tramadol ( Ultram). Only allowed every 8 hours.
But due to timing of getting it, I only use 2 a day. 9 am and 9 pm.
Things were progressing nicely, then got the news that ins. said I had to leave before the 30 days. So June 21 - I left for home.

I then find out that my home health care were only allowed 2 visits each and that's it. I'm on my own. They left me exercises to do along with the ones I got from the Skilled Care place.
Now it's up to me to do them everyday.

Next step..Lympodema treatments.

Now as for transport problems: Someone to carry me up and down the steps.
A wheelchair transport ( the cheapest) wants $20 base plus $2.75 a it would be $31 one way to go to my PCP and $31 back home.
Now to go to my Lympo treatments - which Dr. said could be 2-3 times a week would be $33.75 one way. So $67.50 each time I have to go...times 2 or 3 times a week ...... RIGHT!

The only other transport to use wants $50 base plus $3.75 a mile.

As for FREE transport - Yes, I can get it...BUT....they will not carry your wheelchair or even the walker for you. So not only do I have to climb the steps, I have to use my quad - cane..which the PT doesn't trust me using.

I do have it set up now that that after the first trip to the center...I will be getting the treatments at home....which again I just found out that the ins. does not cover the bandage stuff I need, so it's out of pocket for me again.

Just got a bill from ambulance for wheelchair transport from hospital to care center $95.Ins won't cover and nobody told me I would have to pay it or would of gotten a ride there.

  Member Comments About This Blog Post:

JAXMOMMY 8/11/2014 4:06PM

    Oh my! Do what you have to do! Hurrah for your doctor fighting the insurance company! Insurance makes me so mad when they feel they know what is best for you! I know you will figure out ways to find transportation that is accessable and afordable for you! Keep fighting. Hang in there and keep us posted!

Report Inappropriate Comment
LESSOFMOORE 7/26/2014 9:30PM

    emoticon emoticon

Report Inappropriate Comment
REMEMBER2BME 7/26/2014 5:40AM

    I read this yesterday from my ipad and did not respond from there. SOOOOO much to take on However.... You my dear are incredibly strong. YOU can make things happen. This is a long hard fight that I can't imagine but you are on the right track refusing to lose. You can and will win. You will get better.

Keep doing what you are supposed to be doing each day. You are doing great. Did I mention how strong you are. Look how far you have come.

Report Inappropriate Comment

Back from the brink of death

Saturday, May 03, 2014

May sound like a cruel headline...but it is true, literally.

Before you read on...I will make this matter what you may think of what I had done here..let me say it in no uncertain terms, that I would do it all over the same way...IF it meant I was able to be home with my dog when it counted !!!!!!!

I have been sick a long time, I have mentioned about my legs off and on..but the Drs. didn't have an explanation at the time.
I was getting really sick, but told no one...WHY? because I didn't want to leave my dog (Brownie) who was 14 yrs old and on his death bed too. I had promised I wouldn't leave him..I needed to be there when he finally went.
Well, the beginning of March my symptoms began to show to my friends. I had been hiding the fact that my legs had open sores and were draining very badly.Do you know the feeling of water dripping down the back of your legs when you get out of the pool or shower and haven't quite dried off all the way. Well, that was how my legs were everyday. In fact I hadn't been able to lay down in bed for about 2 months, because my legs were that I sat on the edge of the bed and slept.
My friends started to notice that I was getting incoherent at times and I kept saying that I was sleeping a lot during the day ( which I never do).Well, after about 2 weeks of this they were getting scared. I kept putting them off, they wanted me to go to the hospital...but I couldn't and wouldn't leave Brownie.
When they heard I wasn't going on the computer anymore ( because I wasn't feeling well) they really got worried.

March 23 - I was talking to my adopted daughter and she said, either you let me call an ambulance now, or I'll call the cops and have them take you. I was to the point where I knew I had to go..because I couldn't walk or eat, or do anything I reluctantly agreed.
I thought just go up, get looked at and come back home. Didn't work out that way.

I was in ICU for 4 and out of consciousness not doing much of anything but laying there. ..being hooked up to bottle upon bottle of IV and antibiotics.
When I was able to understand them..the Drs. told me that if I had waited till the morning to come in... I would of been dead.

I was totally dehydrated, my kidney's had shut down and my blood went septic from the infection in my legs. They had to give me a Dialysis treatment to kick start the kidney's again.and clear my blood. Luckily it worked and there was no lasting damage.

I have what is called--- Lymphedema ---

Septic -

My body temp dropped so low that they had me using a heating mechanism that blew in warm air to try and raise my temp....It took 2 days. My blood pressure severely dropped.. ( and I've always had really high BP)..they had to give me different BP meds to try and get it to raise up to near normal.
After all this time..they say it is normal now..but it is really low for me.

I was then transferred to a floor till April 1...when I was sent to a Skilled Nursing Unit till April 30. I've done therapy to start to walk again.(which is progressing very slowly) but I'm moving.

I had a Foley catheter in for several now I have very little control of my bladder..and must use diapers and pull ups till I get control back.

What amazes me the most is that after being fed all that liquid to rehydrate me...I get to the care unit and their Dr. puts me on 80 mg of Lasix...which they later cut down to 60 mg.
I tried to argue them out of it..but to no avail. I will not be taking them at home.

I had Physical Therapy and Occupational Therapy there..good thing I made some progress...cause I had to climb 17 steps to get back in the house..

I am trying to settle in again...but it is rough.Having lots of trouble getting around is the real eating sandwiches for awhile.
Friends told me in the hospital that they would pack up whatever they were having for supper in Tupperware and send some up to me...not to worry about having to cook...well, I've been home since the 30th...and not one drop of "cooked" food has come this way..and I don't expect any !!!!!

Nurses have been out and therapist.. I told nurse that I am starting to feel like I did when I was dehydrated...due to all those we are keeping a watch on my BP and body temp, and heart beats. I am not urinating much at all...they say to keep drinking...but that cause the other problem of making it to the bathroom on time !!!!

As for my legs, the swelling is down, the wounds are healing up. My legs are wrapped from the top of the toes to my knees in bandages.

This is a permanent condition..I have been told..and will have to be watching for relapses from now on.

Between them wanting me to keep my feet up to reduce the swelling...they want me to move around as much as possible too. You figure that one out !

I don't know what else I should be telling you on here, that I'm forgetting?

Oh, the way --- what really has me so upset and angry..Is that Brownie had to be put to sleep while I was in the skilled care unit.April 8.
That was what I really dreaded and put my self in danger for...what I didn't want to happen..happened. I will never forgive myself for not being there for him and in his blind/deaf/ dying condition was left alone in the house for hours..till people came to put him out.
I know he was scared and wondered why I left him when he really needed me the most.
I will never forgive myself for leaving him and it will haunt me always.
If I had to do it over again..I would of put him down sooner (if I knew I would be hospitalized)or I would of just stayed home and gone with him...that wouldn't have bothered me.
I have lost all 3 babies nothing is the same here.

I have been sitting for awhile better go lay down now.
Thanks for reading this...I know I can be long- winded..that's why I don't Blog too often...not enough space to store it all here..

  Member Comments About This Blog Post:

USMAWIFE 5/8/2014 10:45PM

    OMG reading that I was amazed you pulled through but God had a reason for you not to leave us yet

emoticon emoticon

Report Inappropriate Comment
LESSOFMOORE 5/6/2014 9:48PM

    emoticon emoticon

Report Inappropriate Comment
DANLIN60 5/5/2014 11:40AM

    God Bless You Mary Ann, you have been through so much, please take care of yourself and make sure that you have the right people caring for you. I feel so bad for you on your loss of Brownie but he is now running over the Rainbow bridge with all the other dogs that have passed before him. he knows how much you loved him and you had no control over what happened.

Please take care of yourself,



Report Inappropriate Comment
CINDYC74 5/5/2014 3:40AM

    I have lymphedema and the one thing i have learned is most doctors do not know how to deal with it or treat it, LASIX is the worst thing to be taking for it....You need to be seeing a vascular surgeon as he is the proper doctor that can treat it, you need leg therapy leg wrapping and leg will not pee, because the lasix is creating fluid in the lymphatic system its totally different then edema- first thing you need to:

stop eating any and all processed foods
quit any soda if you are drinking anything
sodium is going to make it worse...You will want to lower your sodium intake if you got soy sauce in your house get rid of it now kiss it goodbye with this condition you can't have it..
you need to get those legs moving little movements don't just sit there getting up every hour even if its just for 5-10 minutes you have to do this
swimming is great for this condition
.i can write abook about this right now to you...Message me and ill be glad to help you out with everything i know

Report Inappropriate Comment
REMEMBER2BME 5/4/2014 5:55PM

    Oh my goodness, how horrible. So much I could say and want to say. First, please take care of you. Your babies would want that.

Now most importantly, I feel I understand. I truly do. My boy Utah is with your Brownie. Utah passed March 29th. He was only 3 years and 3 months old. I too feel horrible for not being here for him. In my case, we were actually to blame. We were not here to give him his meds. I however have to believe that this happened for a reason that I do not understand. There could be so many reasons that I won't go into now.

Bottom line is that Brownie truly felt, heart and sole the love you had and gave. Brownie knew that you needed help and care. I truly believe that. It may be that Brownie was hanging in for you as you were for him. My gild Aspen did just that. She stayed barely breathing. Once I finally left her side to lay on the couch (3 years ago May 10th) she finally let go.

They love us unconditionally and fully. They want the very best for us and would hurt intensely in they felt we were blaming ourselves. I know it is hard and impossible at time to not think that way but please try. I know that I can not live with the blame. It is simply to painful. I have to try.

Thinking of you and wishing you the very best.

Report Inappropriate Comment
HELEN_BRU 5/4/2014 11:41AM

    Your experience reads like a nightmare! I do hope things will start to improve for you soon. Am so sorry you lost Brownie on top of everything else. Only wish you the best!

Helen emoticon

Report Inappropriate Comment
SHERRY528 5/4/2014 1:05AM

    OH MY GOSH, Mary Ann!!!---I AM SOOO SORRY for ALL YOU'VE GONE THRU!!! And my heart is so with you about losing your beloved Fur Baby---I so pray that you'll find Peace tho, Dear Angelfinder-in realizing THAT IS INDEED what you were/ARE to each of those precious Ones you took in and loved with every bit of you---ALMOST TO the point of your very own sacrifice of literal SELF---Know they wouldn't have wanted that from you-your Brownie would have wanted his Momma TO GO AND BE TAKEN CARE OF! I'm sure he was so glad you did. Especially "now"---when his suffering is over and he is in a better place-he wants YOU to be ok---He would want you to know you did EVERY BIT ALL THAT YOU COULD. He KNOWS HOW MUCH YOU LOVED HIM.
In losing my Keith in Dec, I so know how EVERYDAY you MISS him-how very TENDER the feelings are-the hurt in your heart-and I care.
Please take care of you and do exactly as the doctor's tell you to---You "do" have to be your own advocate and be informed-but then discuss any concerns you have and give them a chance to explain "why" they believe you must pursue a course you may not be sure of such as your lasix---it's so important to regulate that fluid-yet I know it can flush vital balances as well such as electrolytes-so you're wise to be vigilant-but please don't just "stop". Be VERY INVOLVED AND IN-TOUCH with your Dr---Promise???...
As I said, I CARE ABOUT YOU and don't want ANY MORE problems for you.
I can't believe all that happened-again, SOO SORRY, Mary Ann.
"I" thank you, too, for sharing with us-there was so much in this blog of you and your feelings. Stay close to those around you who care about you-don't shut them out-and stay close to us, your Friends here-it'll get better, Mary Ann-Hold on. Bye for now-Sherry P.S--where was the post 'bout the Rainbow Bridge??? I've looked everywhere...

Comment edited on: 5/4/2014 1:06:54 AM

Report Inappropriate Comment
BIBS4664 5/3/2014 8:10PM

    Thank you for trusting us with your story. I agree with the post about the rainbow bridge. Gentle healing hugs.Mary

Report Inappropriate Comment
ECHOJULIET 5/3/2014 5:15PM

    Oh my!
You have gone through so very much. I am so sorry that things turned out the way that they did. Know that your dear Brownie will be waiting for you at the Rainbow Bridge, so that you can cross together when that time comes.

Wishing you the best of health and healing,
Warm hugs,

Report Inappropriate Comment
IAMLOVER2DAY 5/3/2014 5:06PM

    God Bless you. Take good care of yourself. I'm sorry for losing(3 babies).


Report Inappropriate Comment

A Day in the Life of...

Friday, February 07, 2014

I have been asked many times what my life is like, what am I doing? So I thought I would answer here. I don't think I left anything out, if I did, it's nothing worth mentioning then.:

So here goes my life:

Day 1:
Get up
Try to move around...maybe should say stumble around.

Make Breakfast:
Consists of either.....bowl of cereal/milk.....
or when milk is gone..
2 eggs on 2 slices of bread. with salsa or ketchup.
Take meds (must eat with meds)

Watch TV or work on comp.
Can't miss General Hospital and now Days of Our Lives.

Make Supper:
2 Chicken Patties popped in microwave (3 min)..with Salsa or ketchup.
No bread.
With Maybe either rice, or broccoli or California Blend veg. (Broc, Caul, Carrot)or corn.
If none available -- just the 2 chicken patties.

On rare occasions (when body allows me to actually do something) maybe fresh chicken, or pork chops.

Sit and eat and wait for the extreme pain from moving around goes away..somewhat.

Take meds.(must eat with meds)

Watch TV or work on comp.

Eat 2 Peanut butter sandwiches
Take meds ( must eat with meds)

Exercise : Put dog out to bathroom every 2 ( if lucky 3 ) hours both day and night. 24/7
Poor baby is old and has medical problems.
Do housework when able to..taking lots and lots and lots of sit down for pain breaks.
Once a month put away groceries brought to house by friend.

Summer time - Spend all day in one room with AC..must use to breathe.
Winter - spend most of day, when not doing anything wrapped up in a blanket - can't tolerate the cold.

Also on daily basis: Deal with pain from severe degenerative arthritis throughout the body, severe edema in the legs, now drainage and infection from the blisters on the legs, constant pain throughout the body...and other medical conditions.

Day 100 - See Day 1
"" " " " " " " " "
Day 200 - See Day 1
" " " " " " " " " "
Day 300 - See Day 1
" " " " " " " " " "
Day 365 - See Day 1.

So if any of you have managed to read through all this..thank you for taking the time and I hope I answered your questions.
This is my life and welcome to it.

  Member Comments About This Blog Post:

LESSOFMOORE 2/13/2014 9:59PM

    emoticon emoticon

Report Inappropriate Comment
NEWMOON 2/11/2014 12:25PM

    I know what it's like to deal with constant pain, and my days are much like all others, a routine. What I can't tell from reading your blog is, are you happy? I mean, of course you're not happy with the chronic pain and all the other limitations, but considering your limitations are you content with your days? Sure, I often wish I was at the beach, or hiking, or riding horses again, or doing anything but sitting here in this one spot for most of my days. BUT, I do read, watch some TV/movies that I really enjoy, do some stuff online that makes me happy. I hope you're finding stuff to do every day that you truly do enjoy. And keep those legs wrapped and elevated!! All the best. XOXO

Report Inappropriate Comment
GRETA242 2/10/2014 12:42PM

    Yeah!!!! You blogged :)

Report Inappropriate Comment
JAXMOMMY 2/10/2014 12:36PM

    I sure am sorry to read of so much pain in your days! I hope you are able to find relief at some point in each day. It is a shame you can't even enjoy the shows you used to love! I imagine it must be painful to even get on the computer. Know that your presence is missed and many will be praying for you to find some pain relief and some joy! Take care and please be careful. Love to your canine companion too! Sweet thing!

Report Inappropriate Comment
REMEMBER2BME 2/7/2014 5:18PM

    I am just so very sorry to hear what you are going through. I am happy however to hear from you and see that you are reaching out (in a way). I am wishing you pain free time as well.

Ok now Questions... why kind of pup? I don't recall. I am getting fairly hooked on some shows on HuLu now. It used to be Netflix.

Thinking of you. HUGS!

Report Inappropriate Comment
ALFBUNDY 2/7/2014 4:22PM

    WOW................. emoticon

Sending wishes for PAIN FREE DAYS....tho we BOTH KNOW...that is NOT LIKELY!

I KNOW the arthritis WON'T go away; but maybe the EDEMA can lessen? Then, maybe the blisters will go away. GOOD LUCK!
You are in my thoughts!

Report Inappropriate Comment

Poem Memorial

Thursday, December 20, 2012

I am sure most of you have heard about the shooting at the school where all those little kids were killed. I heard about this poem on TV and looked it up. I think it is a beautiful tribute to those little ones and wanted to share it with you all.

Twas' 11 days before Christmas, around 9:38
when 20 beautiful children stormed through heaven's gate.
their smiles were contagious, their laughter filled the air.
they could hardly believe all the beauty they saw there.
they were filled with such joy, they didn't know what to say.
they remembered nothing of what had happened earlier that day.
"where are we?" asked a little girl, as quiet as a mouse.
"this is heaven." declared a small boy. "we're spending Christmas at God's house."
when what to their wondering eyes did appear,
but Jesus, their savior, the children gathered near.
He looked at them and smiled, and they smiled just the same.
then He opened His arms and He called them by name.
and in that moment was joy, that only heaven can bring
those children all flew into the arms of their King
and as they lingered in the warmth of His embrace,
one small girl turned and looked at Jesus' face.
and as if He could read all the questions she had
He gently whispered to her, "I'll take care of mom and dad."
then He looked down on earth, the world far below
He saw all of the hurt, the sorrow, and woe
then He closed His eyes and He outstretched His hand,
"Let My power and presence re-enter this land!"
"may this country be delivered from the hands of fools"
"I'm taking back my nation. I'm taking back my schools!"
then He and the children stood up without a sound.
"come now my children, let me show you around."
excitement filled the space, some skipped and some ran.
all displaying enthusiasm that only a small child can.
and i heard Him proclaim as He walked out of sight,
"in the midst of this darkness, I AM STILL THE LIGHT."

Written by Cameo Smith, Mt. Wolf, PA

  Member Comments About This Blog Post:

TEDDYBEAR662 12/21/2012 10:26AM

    emoticon emoticon

Report Inappropriate Comment
LESSOFMOORE 12/20/2012 8:45PM

    emoticon emoticon emoticon

Report Inappropriate Comment
1STATEOFDENIAL 12/20/2012 8:19PM

    Thanks for sharing. I couldn't get through it without a tear. It's disturbing that such things happen. One can only hope that it will never happen again.

Report Inappropriate Comment
BAMAJAM 12/20/2012 4:48PM

  Oh--- This is truly wonderful and I am so glad that I saw this today. It is indeed an example of poetic talent, and an example of faith in our Heavenly Father....
I believe without doubt, that our loving Father will provide a joyous home for the sweet angels who left our earth last Friday. God bless us with His comforting grace.

Report Inappropriate Comment
THINAGIN2 12/20/2012 3:49PM

    Thank you for sharing this! It is beautiful.

Report Inappropriate Comment
MANDYVANHOOK 12/20/2012 2:56PM

    Beautiful and so sad. Thanks for sharing!

Report Inappropriate Comment
REMEMBER2BME 12/20/2012 2:54PM

    I had read this. It is wonderful. Thanks so much for sharing.

Report Inappropriate Comment

Christmas Cards for Wounded Soldiers

Monday, December 05, 2011

I got these addresses for Christmas cards to be sent to wounded soldiers. Thought I'd put it on here , just in case someone else would like to do the same.
My dad was a POW for 19 months during WWII and he raised me to respect what these brave men and women do for us. I thought this would be a way to say thanks for what they do.
You do not have to include a name for them..they pass them out. Just add your name and some warm wishes.

Christmas Cards For Troops
National Naval Medical Center
Marine Corps Liaison Center
8901 Rockville Pike
Bethesda, Maryland 20889-5600

A Recovering American Soldier
% Walter Reed Army Medical Center
690 Georgia Ave NW
Washington DC 20307-5001

  Member Comments About This Blog Post:

MARTHASPARKS 12/7/2011 5:52PM

    Thanks, angel. I'll send a couple of cards!

Report Inappropriate Comment
FRAN0426 12/5/2011 10:34PM

    Fantastic, I will be sending some cards to wounded soldiers

Report Inappropriate Comment
LESSOFMOORE 12/5/2011 9:22PM

    Thanks for sharing! You're an angel!

Report Inappropriate Comment

1 2 Last Page