Saturday, February 09, 2013
I just keep going.. sometimes I do great.. sometimes I fall flat on my face.. but I just pick myself up and keep going along. I am so proud of where I am versus where I was this time last year and am looking forward to continuing and see where I am even a year from now. I was losing at a steady and rewarding pace going into the holidays. When I returned home and to my program I had little gain in weight. I was happy with that and thought I'd jump right back in to where I was. I worked out pretty good and ate ok. I tried to stay at the low end of my calorie range and consistently checked to make sure I had a caloric deficit. I should have had descent weight loss. I knew I shouldn't expect spectacular - I wasn't giving spectacular. But, with the "diet" (healthy eating) and exercise, I should still see the scale moving downward, even slowly. But it wasn't. For a month, it just was hung.
Then the really bad eating day hit! It started as just a splurge for breakfast. Yes, they were serving those amazing long johns with chocolate icing I just loved. "Ok, I'll give in and have one, but I'll make sure to be a good girl the rest of the day" I told myself. That was the plan at least. But, in the evening, I had last minute errands that had to be done. It was well past dinner and far from home when I gave in to my daughter's pleads for a burger lol. But, she begged for that awesome burger from the place known also for their shakes. I had not had a milk shake in months. I was willing to own it, track it, and deal with my choices for the day.. but I was still absolutely shocked when I saw the truth in the caloric numbers on my tracker. One meal was almost my whole calorie budget for the day. With the bad breakfast choice too I was over.. wayyyy over.
But, tomorrow is a brand new day is my motto. So I got up the next day and got right back on the program. I didn't go crazy or change anything from my usual. I continued on the program for several days before I got my "huh?" moment. I know I shouldn't but I do weigh myself daily (I only track when I'm sure I've lost 5 lbs as the scale sometimes can be tricky) lol. I began to see that the scale was moving downward again quickly. It's not huge numbers, but after being stuck for a month (two if you count over the holidays), to see myself definitely moving south again is big news for me. Don't get me wrong, I'm not planning to retry the calorie bomb theory any time soon lol... but it does have me still wondering if that's what kicked the plateau since everything else pretty much remained the same.
Wednesday, January 30, 2013
As a reflect back on January, I'm proud of my accomplishments and see areas of improvement. On this journey, it's important to look back at the gains I've made and also make a mental map of where I want to go in the next month. I love the tools on SP for this purpose. They're so motivating!
1) My fav - the sparksummary calendar (on the start page, on right side under weight) - I see that I did well on my exercise, working out for a majority of days, at least 3 times per week even on my "bad" weeks, tracked my food most days, and consistently logged into SP. I also see that there were a lot of days here and there that I could (and should) have worked in some exercise. Since I did log exercise for 18/30 days so far, I'm setting a mini-goal for next month to log exercise for 24/28 days. That gives me one "rest" day or "I just don't feel like it" day each week and is an improvement from this month overall.
2) Calorie and nutrition over time (reports button under tracker) - I'm generally doing well staying within my range, but I'd like to have a little more consistency as I generally eat at the far bottom end of the range for 3-5 days, then have a high calorie day where I'm close to going over or actually do go over. I also see that my carbs are consistently at the high end while my proteins are at the low end. My goal for next month is to get carbs to the low to middle end and proteins to middle to high.
3) Sparkstreak - (under tracker) I'm really bad about not drinking an adequate amount of water or getting the sleep I should get. I'm planning to reset my sparkstreaks to make these a goal for which I can hold myself accountable. I can track my intake / sleep here and reevaluate how I'm doing as I progress.
4) ST vs Cardio - (under tracker, reports button) I was really into the cardio and very much neglecting ST. I know how important ST is in my plan and need to be more committed to it. By looking at my reports, I see I've made improvements in the last part of the month with consistency, so that's also one of my goals for February.
5) Daily Calorie Deficit - (under tracker, reports) I check this daily to motivate me and reassure myself I'm doing what I need to do to meet my goal. Yes, I know it's the big picture over time and not day to day, but I do need that day to day feedback and accountability. I'm keeping my deficit in a range of 500-1000 per day overall. I don't like the ease of use of the deficit over time chart so I utilize the daily deficit.
There are MANY other tools in SP I utilize also, but these are the main ones that I am thinking of this morning that pertain to my main goals and the ones I visit most often. If you aren't using the tools here in SP, you should give them a try and see which help you with reflection and goal setting to help with your journey to where you want to be. Spark on! :)
Thursday, January 10, 2013
Several factors came together to make yesterday and today rest days :) Yesterday was my darling daughter's birthday and I spent the day with her. As a single mom, if I don't do it, it doesn't get done.. so it was up to me to make her day as special as I could. I was also having signs from my body that I was pushing a bit too hard for where I am at this moment. I've been short-changing my sleep a bit too here and there, so I crashed last night and slept like a baby. I even reset my alarm this morning so I could sleep in. I have packed a healthy breakfast / snack / lunch for the workday and am hoping to work in some upper body and core strength training today. I have been routinely working my legs / butt while neglecting the upper side haha so I thought while I was "resting" the lower, I'd switch it up and ease back in by working the upper. The good news is... it's almost Friday!!! Although darling daughter is headed to dad's this weekend, so I'm going to be missing her, I find I'm very productive when she's not here as I try to fill the void by staying busy which is good for my fitness goals and my house that's needing attention.
Tuesday, January 08, 2013
During the holidays, I gave into temptation and due to being out of town, off my program. When I got home, I was ok with the modest gain of a couple pounds, knowing it was a once-a-year treat and committed to getting right back with my healthier lifestyle and goals. I have done very well with regard to eating and working out, even better than before the holidays. My clothes were even baggier yesterday, so although it wasn't quite my "weigh-in" day, I cheated and took a sneak peek. I was right where I expected to be, almost 2 lbs down from the previous week. This morning was my usual "official" weigh-in... and it shows a 5 lb gain from yesterday! lol :) Which would be more than I weighed when I came back from the holidays too! Now, I know there are lots of explanations: a high sodium day (guilty), more strenuous activity than "usual" (guilty), hormones, etc.. and I know I'm eating in my ranges with good, healthy, home-cooked food, no goody snacks, and working out consistently with increased intensity. I feel better each day and my clothes tell the true tale, but still it's frustrating when the scale doesn't agree lol :) I am thankful I'm a cheater, or I would have been super bummed to see the "gain" alone without knowing yesterday it was right where I would expect it to be. What did I do? I grabbed a bottle of water and worked out. I'm going to keep on with what I'm doing and see what the next weigh in says... :)
Get An Email Alert Each Time ANEWME1313 Posts