30,000-39,999 SparkPoints
ANDYTHEALIEN's Recent Blog Entries


Wednesday, July 04, 2012

So around 6:30 I gave up and went to the clinic to have my cyst drained. It was huge, I was in pain, and it didnít look like it was going to drain on its own. I feel sooooo much better now! Iím still on antibiotics for a few more days and have to go see a doctor tomorrow or Friday to have my dressing and the packing changed. Maybe tomorrow Iíll finally get to the gym.

  Member Comments About This Blog Post:

NYKIMMIE 7/6/2012 9:03PM

    I hope you feel better,have a great weekend.

Report Inappropriate Comment
JAXMOMMY 7/5/2012 11:34AM

    At last!! I'm so glad you went and had it drained! Don't worry about the gym until you feel better! Exercise is always important and I admire that you kept working out like you did while that thing kept growing! Finish your antibiotics and follow the doctor's orders! You'll be back in the gym before you know it! I am truly happy that you got some relief at last!! Take care!

Report Inappropriate Comment
NDTEACHER1 7/4/2012 11:15PM

    My poor baby grandson has been getting boils occasionally and they are painful too. So glad you got relief. The cysts I have are rock hard and don't amount to anything although I have had two biopsied one on my face and another on my arm. The numbing process was more pain than it's worth especially in the face.

Report Inappropriate Comment

Infected Cyst Please Go Away!

Tuesday, July 03, 2012

I haven't posted in a while. I believe I had mentioned a few days ago that I have an infected cyst on my shoulder that has been giving me grief. I've had this cyst for a few years now. Normally doctors would just cut it out and that's the end of it, but because I scar really badly, they don't want to risk it.

Friday I noticed that it was swollen and painful, I could barely stand a bra strap rubbing against it. I went into the clinic that evening and got a prescription for antibiotics. I'm still on the antibiotics, the cyst has swollen up to the size of a golf ball and I am in a lot of pain. Any movement of my shoulder hurts. The combination of the pain the antibiotics, and oncoming shark week have left me pretty cranky and unmotivated. I also don`t want to risk having the cyst burst while I`m at the gym.

Anyhow, I'm hoping this thing will burst soon, then I'll feel much better. I ate pretty well yeserday and did a home workout. Might workout at home again today. I am not doing a weigh-in or stats until the cyst drains.

  Member Comments About This Blog Post:

USMAWIFE 7/7/2012 2:46PM

    try using hot compresses to drain out the cyst.

Also soak pads with castor oil and place on them. It helps with the pain and draining


Report Inappropriate Comment
NYKIMMIE 7/4/2012 8:13PM

    I hope you feel better soon. emoticon

Report Inappropriate Comment
JOANNKW 7/4/2012 7:01PM

    I hope it is resolved soon. They don't recommend warm compresses or any thing? Sounds awful.

Report Inappropriate Comment
JAXMOMMY 7/4/2012 12:06AM

    Ouchie!! Is there anything else they can do barring cutting it out? I had to have mine surgically removed this past march. It didn't leave too bad of a scar. I don't know.... I may risk the scar to get relief and have it gone! Sending healing vibes your way! Hoping you feel better and can be rid of your cysta (that's what I called mine) soon! Good luck!

Report Inappropriate Comment
WALKINGBYFAITH2 7/3/2012 10:17PM

    Hope healing comes your way soon!! emoticon

Report Inappropriate Comment
LOSE4LIFE47 7/3/2012 10:13AM

    Best wishes to you!!

Report Inappropriate Comment

Sorry for Disapearing

Saturday, May 26, 2012

Hey everyone!

Iíve been gone for a while. Life got crazy, but I have not given up. Iíve been a little down lately because I hit a plateau in April, thought I had overcome it with a 2 lb. weight loss, but now the scale isnít budging again.

Fortunately, I am now done my job, so thatís a huge source of stress gone, also I now have the time to go to the gym and actually get some sleep. I appreciated the paycheck, but the job and the people where I worked just brought to a really negative place.

I recently received some good news; I found out that I will be getting the same scholarship I got last year, but theyíve increased how much theyíre giving me, yay! Also, it looks like I will be teaching at least one course at the local university in the Fall. The course is Food and Disease Prevention, so if any of you have some resources that you think would be good for the class, please feel free to send them my way.

A few weeks ago I finally finished my last paper, so now Iím anxiously waiting for feedback from my committee and to find out when Iíll be doing my candidacy exam. Hopefully thatíll all be done and over with before August because Iím about 95% sure that Iíll be joining my friend to dig in Slovakia! Sheís leading an 800 AD dig (with burials!!!) and told me that if I wanted to join all Iíd have to pay is my flight over. Iím thinking Iíll meet her in Frankfurt where she lives a week before the dig starts so we can hang out and take the train together. Iíll be in Slovakia almost the entire month of August. Super exciting! Iíll finally be a real archaeologist and not just a lab geek.

Anyhow, Iíll do my best to stay on top of things and post more regularly.

  Member Comments About This Blog Post:

MONAKIN314 5/29/2012 8:09AM

    The dig sounds awesome!!

Report Inappropriate Comment
UMBILICAL 5/26/2012 5:16PM

  one little bit of progress at a time.

Report Inappropriate Comment

Post-Conference Weigh-in (posted late)

Friday, April 20, 2012

So last week I was away at a conference and didnít get to weigh-in. Two weeks ago I weighed in at 188.2. When I weighed in on Wednesday I weighed 189.6, so that was a pound and a half gain. I wasnít really surprised given all the traveling, the chaos of the conference and the lack of workout time. I refused to beat myself up about it. Since I started this blog in November, this was the first week that I gained weight. I checked my weight this morning though and I was down to 187.8, so I guess a lot of it was water weight, but since Wednesday is my weigh-in day, my number for this week will remain at 189.6.

During the trip I experienced many non-scale victories. A lot of the clothes that I originally intended on wearing to the conference were now too big. I got to wear all kinds of new cute clothes. Before flying out to Portland I went shopping with my aunt and grandma. It floored me going into one shop specifically and having everything that I tried on fit me, Thinking back to my last conference in October, I remember spending the entire flight worrying about my thighs touching my neighbour on the plane. I did not have to worry this time and fit comfortably in my spot (or at least as comfortable as you can be on a plane).

Anyhow, just a little update. Iíve been such a terrible blogger. I canít wait for my contract to be done so I can have more free time and not just be completely exhausted when Iím home.

  Member Comments About This Blog Post:

WHITEWOLVE5555 4/22/2012 3:08PM

    Even though you didn't lose a lot of weight you are doing awesome. The mental victories are worth just as much as pounds lost, because without the mental, most of us fail. So keep up the great work

Report Inappropriate Comment
RAINBOWCHOC 4/21/2012 3:43AM

    bravo! the seats on the plane never have much room, even for kids!

Report Inappropriate Comment
LHLADY517 4/20/2012 10:36PM

    "During the trip I experienced many non-scale victories"--Awesome.

Report Inappropriate Comment


Thursday, April 12, 2012

This canít really be called a week review, since itís Tuesday night, and I will not be weighing in tomorrow, itís just a general what-the-heck-is-going-on. Iím in Portland Oregon right now. I got here last night and it has been a total blast so far. The registration and reception for the conference Iím attending here was tonight. Before leaving for Portland, my grandmother, aunt and I went shopping in Barrie and the GTA. I loved getting to go to all the outlet stores and picked up some really cute clothes. Unfortunately I havenít found any decent pants yet.

Last night I got in while my friends were away for dinner, so I hit the hotel gym for a run. Today they had presentations to attend (theyíre signed up for another conference) so I wandered around a bit and then ran 5K on the treadmill. First time I ever ran a 5K continuously. Not terrible, I did it in about 41 minutes. It would have been better but halfway through I had awful cramps and walked for a while.

I am trying to eat well, but it is so hard when you have little to no control over your food and its preparation. Anyhow, having a blast and trying not to worry too much abotu what the scale will say when I get back.

  Member Comments About This Blog Post:

COLLINSCJ2012 4/13/2012 3:07AM

    It is great that you were able to get a workout in while away from home and congratulations on the continuous 5k.

Report Inappropriate Comment

1 2 Last Page