Thursday, November 29, 2012
Yeah, I used hypochondriac as an adjective. Whatchugonnadoaboutit?
Went to the gym Wednesday, played some basketball. In the course of the game, I slid over to defend a play, and was knocked over, my head hitting the ground. I was fine, stayed on the ground a couple of seconds, went through the names of my uncles, because of all the crazy things, I specifically remember NOT being able to recall them when I got a concussion playing ultimate a couple of years ago. I played the rest of the game, just a few points, and when it was over, I went to grab my glasses and water, and I felt a twinge, the slightest headache. And so I sat down and worked my jaw, made sure it wasn't the source of the twinge.
After a couple of minutes, it passed and I went over to the heavy bag and whacked it around a bit. The last punch, I decided to finish with a bang, and deliver an uppercut, only to find out that the base of the bag is pretty solid, as opposed to the squishy rest of it. Shooting the basketball by myself thereafter, I was feeling the pinkie on my right hand twinge a good bit.
A few hours later now, and I've got a headache and a sore hand. Although, no spot on my head to indicate exactly where it thwacked the floor. I'm guessing the latter is real but negligible. The former, I'm going to throw down a couple of Advil, and I'd like to think that I'll wake up and laugh at my...well, not worry, exactly, more like, whatever compelled me to scribble out this blog rather than just go to sleep. Narcissism, probably.
Random bullet points
1) was going to make a goal of reaching the next level of spark points in December, as I was 700 away a couple of days ago. That got a lot easier with the 250 point "Tell us more about yourself" offer. I'll get to that next level in a cakewalk now, even before the Mayans' doomsday.
2) Was talking to my brother, a call brought on partially by the untimely passing of spark person WINNINGBATTLE. He chuckled at my punching bag story, and then said maybe it's good, maybe it'll keep me away from the gym a couple of days and he won't be heavier than me when I get to Michigan. I asked about his weight, and he said 180 or so. I laughed and let him know that if it's 18-something, I'm already lighter.He blamed my nephew for keeping him from exercise.
3) There's a fly crawling around the ceiling light fixture. I wonder where it's going to go when I turn off the light?
Wednesday, November 28, 2012
As in, my mind is a blank. Clicked the "Add a blog entry" button with something to say, but that was 15 minutes ago, before I realized that I ought to do something more pressing at the moment, and I've returned to the computer with absolutely no clue about what I intended to say.
Kind of fear for my memory as I age, there have been just enough of these incidents where I can see myself senile before 60.
And now, it's another 10 minutes later, because I went to wikipedia to look up the definition of "senile" and whether I was using it correctly, and apparently, I'm not, not really. Wikipedia can be a weird wonderful thing, something you can get sucked into as you follow one link after another. Did you know the guy who bombed the World Trade Center in 1993 tried to get Timothy McVeigh to convert to Islam before the latter was executed? I got to that tidbit from a starting point of looking up something about Baylor University in Waco, Texas.
So, I think it's pretty abundantly clear that I'm not catching up with whatever thoughts were previously fleeting around my skull. So instead, perhaps I'll mention something about how it appears that the long weekend featuring two heavy meals doesn't appear to have had a lasting impact on the scale. Or I'll mention something about looking forward to seeing my nephew in something more than snapshot form. Or, how about, after I get to the gym today, I'll be a single digit number of punches away from the ugly t-shirt? Endless possibilities to blather on about!
My share of the cupboard space is getting somewhat bare, partially by design, in that the last time I went to the grocery store, I didn't load up because I knew I'd only be around a certain amount of time more. I'm one of those people who aren't satisfied by what's in front of me way too often, and need to always restock shelves with different things, rather than finishing out what I've previously purchased. Leads to some amusing expiration dates popping up on my shelves, when things I thought I'd have some use for lie around for years. The worst might have been the item expiring in 2006 that I threw out as I moved out of my previous apartment. It means that it was three years past expiration when I moved in 2009, and somehow I managed not to notice.
As I'm relatively lax about adhering to expiration dates (I never throw out albuterol inhalers on grounds that even expired ones could be potential life savers. Fortunately, in my case, I'm not speaking literally, but I do know people with asthma issue far worse than the occasional distress I find myself in.
And on that cheerful note...toodles!
Monday, November 26, 2012
Was feeling unmotivated to do much of anything. Flipped on the TV to a swamp scene. A little green thing dispensing wisdom. Spent the next hour and a half doing little more. Had to watch The Empire Strikes Back. One of my top 5 movies.
Did eventually peel myself off the couch. Intend to go to the gym hereafter. Eventually. It's open 'til midnight. I'm in no hurry, really. Wondering why not, though. I've eaten food, should fuel me through any workout. Kind of doubt tonight's will be strenuous. Though, you never know until you get there. Still, not feeling too much of it. Whatever it is.
Feel the pinch of time. Three weeks. Lots of people to see. Or that I should see. Not one for goodbyes, really. Did Thanksgiving with one of my circles. Then spent a good portion of the weekend with them. Annual Christkindlmarkt trip to Chicago. 4.4 miles walking, says pedometer. Gluhwein and Magenbrodt. Good stuff. Family style dinner at Bucca di Beppo's. Lots of kitsch on wall. Not as many bad mafia jokes as before. End of an era. I'm leaving. So are another couple of people who were there. I'm sure the tradition will continue, mainstays remain. But I won't be there. Sad.
Survived long weekend only up a bit. Not bad for holiday start. Hope to stay on par through end of year. Not spend first part of next reclaiming ground already gained. Would be nice.
Wednesday, November 21, 2012
Usually wait for a scale reading to be consistent across three days before posting it on here, but since tomorrow is Thanksgiving, I went ahead and noted that I hit 179 lbs this morning. Maybe the exercise is paying off scale wise, after all. And, as I found the measuring tape (turns out I was sleeping on it! During the move, I tucked it into an under bed box, which I opened looking for something else), I was able to add numerical evidence to my, uh, to what my pants were telling me. Down an inch or so here and there, says the tape, and as suspected, the number for the belly shrunk less than the number for the waist, so, hey, maybe I am fatter for having lost ten pounds since I last consulted the tape...which amuses me no end.
Messing around with the trackers, I see a way to track pushups and crunches, might have to add that to the mix...pushups are something I'm very bad at, although I've been messing around with doing some with feet elevated on the stability ball. Planks are something I'll play with, too, although an initial attempt went poorly. Oddly, I have no problem with the so called beginner version, with knees on the floor, and big problems with the big boy version. Think I need an extra joint somewhere down on my shins to give me an intermediate experience. Or maybe I'm just doing them wrong.
Thanksgiving day tomorrow, to be spent with friends from around the country who are also not getting home. Plus a German guy who keeps showing up. He and I have made it to the Wisconsin football game on the Saturday after Thanksgiving the last couple of years, and totally let our inner undergrads fly, but unfortunately, the Badgers are on the road this year. Rude of them, I must say. Think the plan is to hang out on Friday, with some of the same crowd, plus others who are away for Thursday but back Friday, so that should be a good time. But maybe I just won't weigh myself until *next* Thursday :)
Tuesday, November 20, 2012
Spent the last half hour, 40 minutes rambling in this space, and apparently, because I used a less than sign and a greater than sign at one point of the ramble, the site interpreted it as html, and rejected it, and when I "click here to go back", I see a blank space. First time the site's eaten a blog post composed on a computer rather than on my phone.
Kind of sad, really, I'd been streaming my consciousness on a number of topics, laying a couple of bits of big news, and or confessions, and now it's all gone, vanished into the ether, and I'm not in a mood to resurrect the brilliance (or banality, if you will).
So here's the bullet pointed, cliff notes version, which you can be sure will be copied over onto microsoft word lest this window decide to reject my words once again.
- Getting an aural contact high from listening to some awesomely sludgy stoner rock (the album/song “Jerusalem” by the band Sleep. One 52 minutes song, or 63, depending on the version.
- Going to the gym a lot, since they have a 25 check in to a free t-shirt thing going on. 8 times this month, which is sad. I now live 8 miles away, and I don’t think I ever made it 8 times in the 36 months I lived less than 2 miles away.
- Working out more…and getting fatter. I use ellipticals, bikes, rowing machines regularly. Lower body stuff. Waistline shrinking, if you can trust what my pants are telling me (dunno where I put the measuring tape), and stomach not shrinking adds up to more bulging stomach.
- Weight pretty much stable. Blame it on a 50 cents a day Oreo habit. Only got one package, so that was limited to a 5 day binge. Not beating myself up, just reporting, mentioning for posterity for some future time when perhaps there will be less posterior.
- Foresee a whole heck of a lot of stress upcoming. Moving to Michigan, in a nutshell. Moving’s bad enough, doing so because I can’t get my crap together to land a job and I’m going broke, worse. So, yeah, stressssssss. One good point: more nephew time! Hope that destressor counteracts the fact…well, a whole lot of facts.
- Thanksgiving will be spent with people I’ve known a long time, and don’t spend nearly
enough time with. The host mentioned that it will be her last Thanksgiving in Madison…which I can relate to. Conversation should be interesting.
- The moving thing, first time I’ve mentioned it on here, but it’s something that I’ve resigned myself to a little bit ago. Still throwing random resumes out there, but it kind of feels like pissing into the wind. So I’ll start throwing random resumes in the direction of Ann Arbor, and see if I still get all wet. Suppose it’s probably best not to use the image that just popped to mind, that of an employer as a urinal. Don’t think they’d appreciate that! :)
- The fact of the moving (currently set for December 15), means I have 25 days to get to the gym 14 more times, which means I might have a cushion against the ravages of the holiday season. We shall see.
I’m sure there was more. I was in fine ramble mode, when I was so cruelly denied. Probably had three blog posts in one, and bits of another week’s worth of mental floss sticking out of that pile, too. But this is far easier to read, since punctuation was optional on that first attempt.
Get An Email Alert Each Time AHTRAP Posts