Tuesday, July 08, 2014
So today I left my phone at home, and work is slow. I have things I can do but I just don't want to DO any of them. I've been feeling like that a lot lately - blah. Not sure if it's the summer heat, or just a desire to be lazy for a while.
Things on the weight front are going fine. I'm eating 2,000 calories a day now, and I'm 3.6 lbs from my goal. I'm still losing a little at a time; this weight loss week I lost 1.4 lbs. If I lose that slowly I will hit goal before Christmas, which is fine by me.
Yesterday I was worried that I would not reach goal. My doc told me I could stop losing, and I don't want him to yell at me, but it's only 3.6 lbs, hardly a health risk. So I did some math. A lot of maintainers have a maintenance range of 3% of their goal weight. My goal weight is 160 lbs, so my range would be 155.2 - 164.8. If those are the numbers I should be aiming for, then I'm within maintenance range already!
It kind of surprises me I'm able to eat so much. I guess it's because I'm way more active than I used to be. Last week I even hit my goal of averaging 10,000 steps a day in a week. It was hard work, and I was VERY sore this weekend, so this week I'm cutting back a bit, which is fine, because it's TOM.
So my 4 day weekend was pretty good. Friday hubby and I went to my Godmother's farm for a BBQ. I most definitely overate because I had to sample all of the desserts. A small NSV is that there was one dessert that was delicious but it was so rich I felt kind of sick afterwards. In future I'm going to take just a taste. I did eat a lot of fruit that day, though. And how often do I eat like that? Maybe 4 times a year? I'm not stressed.
We had a fantastic time and it was so nice spending the day with my hubby, who usually volunteers to work the 4th, because he's Canadian.
Saturday I was supposed to go hiking, but yet again that fell through, but for good reason. My bestie had food poisoning! What's funny is she's a county health inspector, so I'm guessing this place will get a serious inspection soon! Tsk tsk. So instead of staying home and being lazy, I drove myself to Cooper River Park and walked the loop, which is 3.5 miles. I did it in less than an hour, then went home to be lazy for the rest of the day. I have been reading the most recent A Song of Ice and Fire book, Dance with Dragons by George RR Martin, so I laid on the couch and read that and took Bingley for a few short walks (he gets hot easily). By the end of the day I had over 14,000 steps in!
Sunday we did our normal grocery shop and laundry, with the added bonus of a walk at the local park with Bingley. It was supposed to be a "rest day" but I managed to accidentally get in 8,000 steps. That night hubby and I watched the newest episode of BBCs The Musketeers together. It's nice to have a show we can watch together! He usually leaves the room when I watch tv, because he's not into most of the shows I like.
Monday I didn't have anything planned, but my awesome cousin Susan (CHIPUGMOM) had time to kill before flying back home to Chicago so we hung out! We went out for Greek for lunch (I had spanakopita and a salad), went to Kohl's and got some iced coffee before just hanging out in my living room and talking for a while. I don't get to see Susan enough, maybe twice a year, but it's always a great time when I do!
Last night hubs made some bifanas (thin cut pork chops marinated in garlic, paprika, chile paste and white wine) so we had those, Portuguese rolls, mixed veggies and caramelized onions. Yum!
Tonight I'm making Spanish potato tortilla with chicken apple sausage on the side. Hope it turns out well!
Hope you all are doing well and keep it up!
Thursday, June 26, 2014
1. My Mother-in-Law likes to show she loves us by buying us things, including food.
2. Never mention that you're saving up for a new car to MIL, she will demand you take her money.
3. MIL is right, eating like crap for 4 days will not screw up your weight loss, as long as you get back on track immediately afterward.
4. Eight McMuffins is way too many McMuffins for only 3 people.
5. Eating 2 Sausage McMuffins for lunch, followed by 2 donuts for lunch will make you feel like crap.
6. Corn and potatoes do not "feel" like vegetables when those are the only ones you eat for days.
7. MIL likes to drown salad in dressing before serving.
8. Portuguese cornbread, while delicious, is not necessary at every meal.
9. Powdered coconut milk is a halfway decent substitute for regular coconut milk in coffee.
10. I can drink good coffee without much sugar at all.
11. I can reduce the amount of artificial sweetener in my coffee if I brew it right.
12. Never mention you like something in front of MIL: she will buy you 5 of it.
13. Black fly bites on your dog look a lot like ringworm or tick bites.
14. Gas in Canada is EXPENSIVE!!!! ($1.39/liter = $5.26 a GALLON - UGH)
15. My car will not make it to Allentown from Ottawa for gas. Not realizing this will force you to pay $3.99 a gallon in the middle of nowhere.
16. I really appreciate gas prices in New Jersey.
17. Sales tax in Canada is RIDICULOUS. (13%)
18. Tim Horton's makes its seats really uncomfortable so you don't take advantage of their free Wifi.
19. New York Fries still makes my favorite poutine. A small one is PLENTY OF FOOD.
20. Ozonated water tastes weird.
21. My MIL only knows people who are dead/dying of cancer. (Not true, but it's the only thing she talks about.)
22. My MIL has some of the lowest self esteem ever.
23. My MIL loves me like a daughter.
24. My MIL cries when you buy her lunch because she doesn't think she deserves it.
25. Shawarma is everywhere in Ottawa, and I like it!
26. MIL sent us home wit 4 pkgs of sausage, 1.25 kilos of cheese, FOUR loaves of bread, 2 bags of rolls, apples, bananas, orange soda, gatorade, 2 bags of fava beans, a bag of cookies, and a can of maple syrup.
Thursday, June 12, 2014
Pic of me in Montreal about to get on a flight to the Azores in 2007.
Tuesday, June 10, 2014
After a little juggling and more than a little miscommunication, our plans did, in fact, go through!
Bestie and I planned a double date for us and our hubbies to visit Ringing Rocks County Park in Upper Black Eddy, Pennsylvania, which is about an hour and a half drive from me. In short, there is this weird field of boulders, some of which ring when you hit them lightly with a hammer. (Want to read more? Click here: www.unmuseum.org/ringrock.htm )
Here is hubby standing in the rock field.
Here is me ringing a rock! (Okay, so I'm pretending!)
Here is a link to a video I took of hubby trying to play a song. (Hope it works!) youtu.be/OwpOGDtY5Ww
So after we rang the rocks we walked to the waterfall and there was this super cool rock shelfy thingie (that's the technical term, doncha know) and I found a throne!
I am a pretty, pretty princess.
We had lunch at a picnic table and then drove to New Hope, PA to check out the sights. New Hope is weird. New Hope attracts bikers, hippies, hipsters AND rich people. Bizarre! But it was beautiful in its quirky way!
We had dinner at a cute taco joint (probably the least expensive place in this swanky little town) and then headed home. The hike wasn't very vigorous, but I ended the day with over 10,000 steps so I think I did okay!
I had a fantastic time. If you're near the area, Ringing Rocks County Park is totally worth checking out. I would allot maybe an hour to the whole thing, it's not very large.
Bonus pic: Me in my new skirt!
Tuesday, June 03, 2014
I happened to mention to my coworker's wife (who has been "trying to lose weight" for about 2 years with gym memberships and personal trainers but is still as overweight as ever) that my stepsister was coming to visit and we were going out to eat, and I was really looking forward to a good burger. Now I had mentioned a few days prior that I had basically reached maintenance. Her response?
"Planning on gaining back some of that weight you lost?"
Uhm, no, I'm not planning on that. You see, it's OKAY for me to have a burger and fries every now and then. And it was WELL WORTH THE CALORIES. (Seriously, it was fan-friggin-tastic.) I ate half of it. I ate half my fries. I had two bites of each of the apps. I had a milk stout. IT'S OKAY PEOPLE!
Did I gain all my weight back from enjoying one meal? NO!
Did I have a great time? YES!
So what DID I do?
I ate lightly earlier in the day, and ate lighter the day before and the day after. I compensated.
IT'S CALLED AVERAGES!
But no, some people will say nasty things to you under the guise of "being helpful".
Don't worry about it.
DO NOT point out to said person that you have lost 110 lbs and they have stayed the same, so you might know what you're doing.
DO NOT say "it's just as bad as you eating wieners and beans 3 times a week."
No no, be nice, do not defend yourself. Just ignore it. They don't deserve and explanation, and you don't have to give one.
Get An Email Alert Each Time ADARKARA Posts