Sunday, January 27, 2008
A LETTER TO MYSELF!!!!!!!
PLAN YOUR ATTACK ON THOSE PESKY CALORIES
This is something that I have forgotten to complete. I have not laid out an effective battle plan that will keep me on track in the BATTLE OF THE BULGE. I most certainly will be heading for defeat if I do not reevaluate the path that I am taking in my weight loss journey. I had completely forgotten the lessons I was taught in the military:
1. Know your enemy---know your objective.
2. Plan your route and attack strategy.
3. Set a Time Table for the action to be completed (to reach your goal).
4. Rehearse your attack (in this case- in your mind) until you know what to do at every turn.
5. Reevaluate your plan to find weak areas and recalculate your approach if necessary.
6. Make sure everyone involved knows the plan thoroughly (to keep you on track).
7. Mentally prepare yourself and plan for unforeseen obstacles.
8. Execute your plan and follow it as closely as possible.
9. At the appropriate time write an after-action report and formulate answers (not excuses) as to why goals were or were not achieved.
10. Reevaluate and select another objective and start the process over.
Since I joined SparkPeople in August of 07, I have been attacking my weight issues with an illogical approach. I have allowed myself to use many excuses for not reaching my goals and even more excuses for the yo-yo weight loss-gain cycles. All of this has become incredibly apparent in the last couple of months. Since I accepted the responsibility of becoming a co-leader on one of my teams I have noticed the problems that I myself have created. Everyday, I receive somewhere between 50 and 75 e-mails informing me that my team has a new member and I marvel at those numbers. All of these people have the same aspirations that I have: TO LOSE WEIGHT AND BE HEALTHY. Each day as I am looking at the e-mail list, I ask myself “How can I lead and motivate these people if I don’t follow the path to wellness?” and I have been asking myself that question for weeks now. The answer is “I CAN’T!!!” So I ask if I should quit the leader position and then I realize that I am offering myself another excuse for failure. I will not let this happen again!! I am going to follow the lessons that I have learned over the years and I am going to beat this enemy once and forever. I WILL NOT QUIT; I WILL NOT BACK OFF; I WILL NOT FAIL MY FAMILY, MY SPARK FRIENDS, OR MYSELF!!!
I have found a way to force myself into following my own plan: I am going to follow the JUMP MASTER’S AIRCRAFT COMMANDS (excuse the military analogies—but they work for me):
1. GET READY-----put your mind in the right mode---decide to do this.
2. IN BOARD PERSONNEL STAND UP---make sure you are medically ready for this journey—go see your doctor to be sure---I have very recently done this.
3. OUT BOARD PERSONNEL STAND UP--- Stretch and loosen up those muscles, start with light activity and work yourself up.
4. HOOK UP---find someone to keep you accountable—not someone to criticize you but to gently but firmly push you down your path. Try to find someone to exercise with you.
5. CHECK EQUIPMENT---Make sure you are READY –have your plan in mind, know your goals and the reasons you will succeed.
6. SOUND OFF FOR EQUIPMENT CHECK---Let everyone know what you are doing and why you are doing it. Be proud of yourself.
7. STAND IN THE DOOR---There is no backing down now---hold your head up and be proud---this is where you begin to get healthy---you are ready to love yourself and to finally take care of yourself.
8. GO-GO-GO---make that jump-you have started your journey---feel the wind in your face—that is you moving towards a healthier, better YOU! SHOUT IT TO THE WORLD---“AS YOU ARE MY WITNESSES, I WILL BE SUCCESSFUL!!!!!!!
I know that this has been long winded but I have now made myself accountable to all of you and to me and I feel much better----like I can really win this battle and that you can and will also win!!!!! UNITED WE WILL BEAT THESE DAMN CALORIES!!!!!!!