Saturday, January 22, 2011
Today was a rainy and chilly and headachy day! My cardio was dancing today because I found a song that moves me and I can't stop listening to it. Waka Waka by Shakira...from the 2010 World cup...my neighbors and pets will be going out to buy earplugs soon...I was actually up until midnight dancing to it with headphones on while I washed my face, got ready for bed, and then couldn't stop...until my man wanted to come to bed.
The backs of my knees are really hurting...maybe I need to warm up longer and stretch afterwards longer....not sure, but it feels weird. Just made my plan for the next 2 weeks (Week 3 & 4) of Jillian Michael's Winning By Losing Workout,,,So far I love it! I'm never bored, I'm always challenging myself, and I can see and feel change in 2 weeks...and so can my man! My legs are firming and changing shape and I have a bicep! whoo hoo
My headache finally went away with some Panadol...but I tried to get rid of it without it first...always reflects on the scale the next day! Tomorrow is a rest day and that's what I'm gonna do!
Hope everyone is having a nice weekend! I actually had the heater on last night....while it was 91 degrees several days this week! Drives me loco!
Thursday, January 20, 2011
When it comes to weight loss and enjoying the journey...here is what I know for sure...
1. Embrace vegetables...I am not a huge fan of them, but I see them as medicine for fat rolls. I have my favourites, but I have opened my mind to trying new things and new recipes and at least re-trying them...I love things I hated as a kid....usually because of how my parent's cooked them or what icky sauce they covered them with.
2. 2 liters of water everyday - no matter what...and if you are a drinker...even more water...and if you can't put the salt shaker into retirement...even more water...and if you drink coffee and caffeine....even more water....it helps your digestive tract, skin, and so many other things.
3. You can erase a multitude of sins with #1, #2, and exercise! And 30 minutes isn't enough! When they say 30 minutes 3 times a week...that's for the people who want to maintain and just move sometimes for health reasons...it's not enough to drop serious weight and excess booty! You have to sweat, you have to push yourself and you have to make a way and find a way to make it happen...everyday...no matter what!
4. You need to build muscle and tone yourself up! Especially if you are an extra big person. I have helped several people drop lots of weight and the extra skin is a problem. I start them out with resistance bands if they aren't very mobile...and then work them up to weights...etc.
5. Surround yourself with positive shows, music, books, and people. What gets you so excited and motivated that you wanna do something NOW...not tomorrow!? Dance in your home...watch movies that motivate you (I have a couple favourites), and make sure you aren't feeding your brain and soul with negative TV! I have The biggest Loser on iPod and I watch it everyday...almost...it reminds me that I HAVE TO PUSH MYSELF...It's worth it!!! And if people do not support me...or if the room gets dimmer when they enter it...I cut the ties fast. They are not the people I want in my life...nor need.
6. STOP SAYING YES AND TRYING TO PLEASE EVERYONE - Stop keeping junk food in your house for everyone else...see #5...they aren't supporting you...they are sabotaging you...unless you are SO focused it doesn't phase you! The friend who seems to only ask you to go out to eat and ironically is over weight...ummm...yea...those are her demons and she is taking you down with her. If she isn't ready...don't you allow her to determine your happiness! Be strong! Be committed! Be true to yourself! She is not responsible for your doctor bills, your unhappiness or your funeral costs...YOU ARE!
7. BE PATIENT WITH YOURSELF! We all have bad days and weeks even. The key for long term health and success is persistence. You CAN do this. It's not easy...and it shouldn't be. You have to learn. You have to change. You have to understand your body...etc. These things all take time. :)
8. A treat is something you have once in awhile....a habit is something you have every week/day! Learn the difference.
9. Your kids and hubby/wife don't "NEED" cookies in their lunches. Again...see #8. Kids learn from their parents. Don't set them up to be a future weight loss client because they didn't learn healthy habits and exercise skills. And find OTHER ways to show love than baking and cooking!!! I have a client who believes this is how to show love to her husband...TRUST ME...he's trying to lose weight and he would prefer other ways for her to show him love....
10. EVERYONE CAN LOSE WEIGHT - BEING OVERWEIGHT IS NOT ABOUT FOOD - IT'S ABOUT WHAT IS GOING ON IN YOUR HEAD AND HEART - BE GOOD TO YOURSELF AND FIGURE OUT WHY YOU ARE TRYING TO REPAIR HURT/BOREDOM/STRESS, etc WITH FOOD! THEN GET THE WEIGHT OFF AND THEN LEARN THAT THIS IS NOT OVER AT YOUR GOAL WEIGHT! You will still have to hold yourself accountable for the rest of your life and watch what you eat and eat healthy and exercise....or you will be back on day 1 again!
Wednesday, January 19, 2011
Today was a pretty relaxing day for me for the most part. I went along with my man to his diabetes appointment. My man is finally ready to change and start taking care of himself...I HOPE. But I heard what my man said and what I said, and I couldn't believe how blase' he was. He didn't approve, but typical Kiwi didn't want any confrontation. I want my man to have a doctor like Jillian Michaels...I want them to get up in his face and say...LOOK...STOP EATING CANDY - TUBS OF ICE CREAM - WHITE BREAD - ETC OF YOU WON'T SEE YOUR DAUGHTER TURN 18! YOU ARE WALKING LIKE AN OLD MAN AND YOU'RE 39! But no...he just said...well..if you can just remember to take your morning insulin that would be really good!? WHAT THE HELL!? He's suppose to take insulin 4-6 times a day! He never discussed exercise or nutrition...seriously! Made me want to get up and beat the crap outta him. I have helped my grandmother and my man's mom lose weight and get off of ALL their medication including their diabetes meds....but it's hard when you live with this person and he is a junk food junkie...and not really overweight! I finally said "I don't like your doctor"...he responded with "You don't have to"....to which I responded with "Yea...well he doesn't care if you die next week...BUT I DO!"
And then it takes me back to my grandfather's Doctor Wayne Brauer in Sheboygan Wisconsin. My grandfather fought cancer over and over and then had his bladder removed (amongst other heart issues and surgeries)...lost too much weight and too low of blood pressure, and no energy. My grandpa's diet consisted of ice cream, cookies, licorice, M&Ms and maybe a sandwich. He wasn't hungry and my grandma gave up throwing food away and just let him eat what he wanted. I moved in with them for a month prior to moving here and I went to the doctor with him and asked the doctor what my grandfather was deficient in and what we could do to get him more nutrients...etc. His response was....oh...he's gaining weight so it's fine. EXCUSE ME!?!?!?!?! Yea..a sugar high and then no energy is fabulous and all sugar...yea that's good for him....you F!@$IN moron. I was furious.
I happened to be studying for my personal trainer certification and decided I was gonna get my grandpa feeling better. I went and got weight gainer protein at the health food store...got vitamins, and other items that tasted good but were good for him. To trick him into the shakes...I still blended them with ice cream...it's like a kid! But he got the vitamins, minerals, and nutrients he needed. Within a week or two he could stay awake longer, he had energy and felt useful again...he didn't live in bed. He started to do exercises in his chair...etc. We took day trips and he wasn't completely worn out! Dr. Wayne Brauer didn't care if my Opa died, but I did.
I guess the point of this whole rant is if you are fortunate to have a doctor who is passionate about your health...FABULOUS!!! But in most cases, you are another number...find someone...listen to your loved ones if they know what they're talking about. USE LOGIC for god's sake! Do your homework! Save the people you love.
Get An Email Alert Each Time 1DRWOMAN Posts