My two are the ones in the stripes on the extreme right and left (6) & (4)
After joining sparkpeople in Nov (08) I had a very successful 3-4 months and lost alot of weight but more importantly got healthy - started running regularly, drinking water regulalry and (shock) eating vegtables!
Things all started to go a bit wrong towards the end of Feb when my son was offered a school place in a school we've been trying to get him into for ages - this meant finishing the renovations and moving house in 3 weeks! Needless to say excersise and cooking suffered heavy casualties to the point that i was doing none of either.
Initially i carried on losing weight, probably because i was so physically active preparing for the move, decorating, clearing the garden etc, but in the last month i've probably put back on 5lbs. Not the end of the world i know, but i also know that 5lb can very easily turn back to 25 which puts me back where i started.
So now i'm going to get back on track starting with working out what i'm doing wrong - looking at the 3 thing s i identified in November it looks like i still have those bad habits
portion sizes - much better than before, i did start to have slightly bigger portions which would be ok for weight maintance - so doing well on that front
snacks - the real killer - never stopping at one again - more like 3 chocolate bars in one go! Mindless eaten too. I think i need to work on the
eating in front of the TV and computer - so my new fast break goal is not to eat in front of the TV
stuffing things into my mouth, still doing this, but probably not to the same extent - but i do eat things just because i see them rather than because I'm hungry or conciously decide to eat it.
againg the killer is the snacks, i don't think i ever killed the chocolate infront of the TV cravings - i just switched to tiny portions or healthy alternatives.
I'm also adding activity - my activity level has increased from when before i started sparking (good news) but the bad news is, it's not really enough,
- karate had been put asside but i love it so much i need to find a way to put it back into my life.
- running has become very difficult as i now have 2 children at home and can't really expect my 4 year old to join me (the baby can go in the buggy) maybe i should take the double buggy and go for a walk
- streangth training - i really beleive this was the biggest factor in reducing that tummy and bingo wings - i started this again yesterday - and i was surprised by how much i could still do.
So my plan
- watch the snacks in the evening - to kill the association - NO evening snacks either in front of the TV or computer
- follow the mini-challanges from my sparkgroup - this week its excersise, just what i need
- drink water
- spark in the mornings before school run - that way i don't spend the whole day on here
- be accountable for what i eat again.
lets see how we get on.
My old Intro FIGHTING THE SLOW BULDGE -
i'm keeping this to remind me of where i started out from.
After 10 years of puting on a few pounds here and there, and several attempts to lose the weight i've decided that I owe it to my children to lead a much healthier lifestyle.
I've always been fat, and i've always justified it to myself because i've got 'big bones' - I do, but that's really just an excuse if i'm totally honest with myself. I've always also had some excuse or other, i'm having a baby, i've just had a baby, i'm breastfeeding or I want to enjoy that party next week or a holiday. Slowly by surely the pounds have just piled on. The strange thing was that when i had my children, i always went back to my pre-pregnancy weight almost straight away. But a few months later i would put on a few extra lbs.
I did lose alot of weight once - when i was about 17 I lost almost 3stone in weight. It felt so fantastic -people complimented me on how great i looked.and asking me how i did it, my clothes no longer felt tight, my legs stopped chafing, i became more confident with myself and much happier.
The problem was, i never really learned any healthy lifestyle choices - I did what so many teenagers do and basically stopped eating. Skipped breakfast, had one slice of bread with plain tuna and a carton of orange juice for lunch and had a tiny portion of rice (usually plain) for dinner. So when I started to eat again, gradually adding foods back to my diet, I went back to eating big portions, and slowly reintroduced unhealthy foods into my diet, which then became things i ate regualary 2-3 times a day.
This time's differnt - i can feel it. I now excersise regularly (which i nver have done before) and actually enjoy it! I've taken up Karate and go every week, twice if I can get someone to look after the kids for me. I try to walk to school and go swimming once a week.
What tracking my nutritian has shown me, is how much i'm over eating. I don't think i ever realised the amount of calories there are in bread and rice - and as for the fat! well...
I read someone else's page and they pose 3 questions to themselves. So i'm going to do that - for my sake more than anything - if i put it in black and white, i can remind myself exactly what I'm doing and why.
1) Why are you overweight?
- My portions are over inflated (equivilant to what my 4 younger and very active brothers eat!),
- I love sweet foods and love to sit in the evening gorging (there's no other word to describe it).
- I can never stop at just 1 of something, if i have a chocolate i have to have 3 or 4 ( i can even eat a whole slab of cooking chocolate in one go!)
- I pop things into my mouth without even thinking about it, especially when i'm cooking.
2) why do you want to change?
- My children - I don't want them learning my bad eating habits from me, to grow up battling with their weight like I always have.
- My health - I had gestational diabetes when i was expecting my youngest which was a bit of a wake up call. I was lucky, it went away after giving birth, but if i'm not careful i'll end up like my best friend who's diabetes got worse and never went away. She's not even overweight.
3) why have you never kept it off before?
I slipped back into bad habits. i never really learned to change my habits and always thought of a few extra pounds and 'well it's only a couple of pounds'.
So what am i going to do about it?
- watch my portions - use the nutrition tracker to guage how much i really am eating
- do something different in the evenings while watching TV. - Excersise, do the ironing
- pamper myelf in other ways - do my nails, face, hair, pedicure
- say no to junk - if i can't stop at one, then i'll have none
- remind myself that i've done it before - so i can do it again
- cook healthy meals for everyone
- reward myslef for sucsess.
Starting weight 187 lbs
172 lbs - heart rate monitor - achieved
162 lbs - new hairdo - NO LOGER OBESE
152 lbs - A pamper day
142 lbs - Buy a new swimsuit
132 lbs - A new Wardrobe (136 no longer overweight)
Maintaining weight for 1 month -
Maintaining weight for 3 Months-
Maintaining weight for 6 months
Maintaining weight for 12 months-
To live a healthier more balanced lifestyle.
to lose about 50lbs
to be able to climb stairs without feeling out of breath and achy knees
Cutting calories, to between 1200 and 1800 - depending on amoucnt of excersise i'm doing - I try to cycle them round a bit to keep my matabloism up.
I'm no longer treating myself as a sugar addict, and just have very small tastes of sweeet things. I generally buy chocs in snack sizes and restrict myself to just one.
drinking 8 cups of water - 1 before every meal and 1 with every meal and snack.
going to karate 1ce a week for 90 mins, run 3 times a week and streangth train 3 days - saturday off. sometimes i also try to walk to school.
Mum of 3 beautiful children, ages 6, 4 and 19 months.
Teach at a London University part-time.
Member of GKR Karate - currently yellow belt, but working for that orange (it's so close i can taste it. )
Secrets of Success
This user doesn't have any secrets of success.
| current weight: 198.0
I am just so honored that you would want to bookmark my page.. this is such a wonderful site.. so full of motivation and drive...
To Sparkpeople. I am happy to see that you have found some teams that interest you. Take your time and hunt around and get comfortable with the site.. it's all here.. a wealth of information to help you lose weight, feel great and change your lifestyle for the better. Try to spend some time looking at other Sparkpages and be sure to leave them a comment.. you will find many tips and friends in the process. Learn to use the nutrition log.. it will make such a difference in your success here.
The most important thing you have to do to make this a success:
MAKE THE COMMITMENT TO YOURSELF
You can do this!
Have a wonderful day, debbie
2953 days ago
Thank you so much for the comment you added to my page!!! Congratulations on all of your success so far.
2954 days ago
Hi! Thanks for your comments on my page. You CAN do this! Congrats on losing 10 already--you're on your way!!
2955 days ago
Hi there. I've been away from my computer for a few days. Hope all is well.
2955 days ago
Hi, Thanks for the goodie. I have had company here for the last 3 day. They are leaving today. So since I have already had breakfast with them, back to the straight and narrow in the am. Wow I did pretty good the first night, but then I broke. Shame, shame, shame on me. Need to run, have a good one!
Hope your doing well.
2961 days ago