2002- My "marketing photo" for my work webpage
I read that those who have online support lose more weight, so here I am!
I'm a 40 something Christian mom from Kansas. I find it difficult to balance all the roles and goals in my life. I want Christ to be the focus of my life-- but that is easier said than done.
I'm an emotional eater--- I am very goal focused and can be eating healthy and losing weight-- or at other times I go focus on other priorities and then I start gaining again. I lost 75 pounds in 2000-2001, but then gained back 85 between 2002 and July of 2008. Now I'm back on track and working on learning more about emotional eating and learning to control my overeating permanently.
I'm also a ShrinkYourself Online member and I'm working on making the 10 habits endorsed in that book into my habits:
1. Listen to my body.
2. Manage my hunger.
3. Bounce Back.
4. Keep my weight in mind.
5. Avoid junk food.
6. Exercise enough.
7. Control my portions.
8. Prevent binges.
9. Savor my food. (This ones new for me, I'm a recovering "food inhaler.")
10. Choose a balanced diet.
My current favorite Bible verse is Philliapians 4:6-8. I use it as a guide for stress management along with what I learned from HeartMath. My own adaptation to the HeartMath technique for stress relief, that I try to do several times per day is:
1. I use the HeartMath recommended technique of focusing on my heart. Phillipians 4:6 says, "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God." So as I focus on my heart, I start with a prayer- giving whatever I have been worrying about or focusing on over to God.
2. Phillipians 4:7 says, "And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus." So I claim this-- asking Christ to guard my heart and mind and show me truth. I so much like the idea of having a guard for my heart and mind--- Lord knows I need that when I am tempted to fall into discouragement, when I'm frustrated or when I might believe Satan's lies if I don't slow down and seek God.
3. Then I do the HeartMath recommended technique of breathing slow and deep- allowing my mind to quiet.
4. Then I think of something or someone that I appreciate, or that I love, or that I care about. Phillipians 4:8 says "Finally brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--- if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--- think about such things. If I have my emWave biofeedback machine with me (designed for HeartMath) I try to do this long enough to stay "green" for two cycles.
Lose 60 pounds.
Exercise 6 days a week.
Control emotional eating for permanent weight loss.
Keep my life in balance- be a good steward and protector of my body, while also putting worshiping the Lord first and serving others.
-Track nutrition. Keep carbs below 45%. Keep protein above 25%. Choose mostly low glycemic index foods.
-Eat small, frequent meals.
-Take vitamins, minerals, fish oil and other nutritional supplements
-Drink decaf green tea instead of sodas
-Exercise 6 days a week.
- Work on the root of my weight problem, emotional eating, in order to keep from gaining back the weight I lose.
-Use Christian affirmations and self hypnosis to support my identity as a Child of God and a healthy eater.
- Use Phil 4: 4-8 and my own adaptation of HeartMath for stress management
I'm 45. I'm from Kansas. I'm a social worker. I run a counseling center in Wichita.
I'm a "sandwich generation" mom. I've been married since 1984 and we have two teenage sons. I'm also the only nearby child of my aging father, whom I try to help to be able to stay in his own home.
| current weight: 153.0