1st and last 5k that I jogged 2014 (tore meniscus 2 months after this) I'm on the far right.
Shared Fitness Tracker
Hi, I'm 66 years young, live in southern Maryland, grew up in New Bern, NC. I'm the oldest of 5 children, all my siblings are alive. My mom and dad both died from complications of diabetes. I have 2 children, 10 grand kids and 4 great grand kids who I love dearly. I am striving to get more healthy so I can be around to spend more time with them.
TEN COMMANDMENTS OF SELF-LOVE
(borrowed from a fellow sparker!!)
1. Accept yourself for who you are at this very moment. Appreciate the BEAUTY that makes you YOU:)
2. Be thankful for your blessings. You may not have everything you want but, you have ALL you need.
3. Make sure your worst enemy isn't dwelling in your own skin. Remember that you're always listening even if no one else can hear you!
4. Vow to take care of your body & work out daily! After all, it's the only place you have to live! Make it a happier, healthier place to reside in. YOU are your best investment.
5. Stay true to who you are & you will ALWAYS be happy! Gather all your crazy dreams, far fetched ambitions & big goals & build a life you love & are proud of!
6. Stop comparing yourself to who you're not! Girls compete with one another. Women EMPOWER each other.
7. Forgive yourself for every mistake, every heartbreak & every time you've fallen short. Self-forgiveness is a necessary & vital step to finding your inner peace.
8. Remember that you can't fix yourself by BREAKING someone else. ALWAYS choose kindness.
9. Focus your thoughts on what is good, what is admirable & what is positive. Never let your mind become consumed by negativity & hate. Never let your heart turn cold.
10. Say YES to adventure. Say YES to bliss. Say YES to the impossible. You never know when your heart will stop beating. Take the jump & free fall on the way down if you have to. Live with no regrets.
My goal is to get more healthy each day, for the rest of my life.
Fall 5% Challenge Exercise Commitment
Strength Training: 3 days a week at least 10 mins a day
Cardio: At least 30 mins a day, 5 days a week
Nutrition: Spark Diabetes Nutrition Plan
Stay within my calorie range
Weigh & measure food
To meet my goal of getting more healthy, I will track my food daily, stay within my calorie range, weigh & measure food, drink at least 8 glasses of water, strength train at least 3 times a week and exercise for at least 30 minutes each day.
Most of my personal information is in my introduction. I originally joined spark people in 2008 but never really used it. I just committed to using spark people in Oct of 2013 and it was one of the best decisions I've made to improve my health. Since then, I've lost 32 pounds, gotten off of cholesterol medicine, reduced my A1C and improved my blood pressure to normal ranges.
I retired from the Federal gov't after 31 years in 2007 and I made a conscious decision to improve my health. All of my siblings are on blood pressure, cholesterol and/or diabetes medicine. I was never consistent in sticking to a food plan or exercising until I joined SP.
After retiring, I started my own travel business, YouNique Vacations, and a few years later started doing taxes seasonally. My life got busy again and getting healthy took a back burner.
In 2013 when I had to get on cholesterol medicine, I decided I needed to get serious about getting healthy, so in Oct 2013 I recommitted to SP.
In Dec 2015 I decided to simplify my life and I closed my travel business. Since then, I've I've started losing weigh again and I am going to focus on getting healthy.
Secrets of Success
This user doesn't have any secrets of success.
| current weight: 188.6