Koi in the pond in my backyard.
A monarch butterfly drinking nectar in my butterfly garden
The Eiffel Tower. We were fortunate to have a full moon that night.
I have 39 pics in my gallery
Go For the Goal!!
I am a strong and happy woman, married for 50 years to a wonderful and godly man, mother of 2 grown children, and grandmother of a precious 2 year old boy. I have struggled with weight issues for over 10 years and have lost the same pounds over and over again. My highest weight was probably in the mid-180s. I deal with hypothyroidism and believe that is what precipitated the steady weight gain beginning in my 50s. However, I regard that as just a minor “glitch” and am on my way to being the ...
I am a strong and happy woman, married for 50 years to a wonderful and godly man, mother of 2 grown children, and grandmother of a precious 2 year old boy. I have struggled with weight issues for over 10 years and have lost the same pounds over and over again. My highest weight was probably in the mid-180s. I deal with hypothyroidism and believe that is what precipitated the steady weight gain beginning in my 50s. However, I regard that as just a minor “glitch” and am on my way to being the best ME that I can. I am a winner in this game and even though I may run slowly, I will be consistent in my program, and I will reach the goal line!
I joined SP in August 2007. I was 64, 5’3” and 179 pounds then. SP has been a springboard to success for me, but I still have about 20 pounds I’d love to take off. After a couple years of being comfortable with my weight and fitness level, I'm now ready to restart and do more! Although my Hashimoto’s hypothyroidism has been well controlled with meds that I take daily, I want to assume that it will not hinder me from reaching a weight goal of 125 pounds. However, realistically, I probably should focus on my body fat percentage, and that goal would be 22%. My dream goal would be 19%, but I realize that this is setting the bar very high. Am I up to the task? I believe so!!
Since starting SP I have lost 40 pounds. Right at this moment I have gained 8 of those pounds back. But it is a new year and I am starting out again, forgiving myself for human weakness and failure. If God can forgive me, I can forgive myself. I give Jesus the glory and praise for His forgiveness and love and for equipping me physically to do what I am doing.
My goals for 2013 include all facets of my life. I am not just a weight-loss warrior. I am also a rower: I row a single scull (think rowing machine in a 30 pound, 28 foot long, 18” wide fiberglass boat built for speed) twice a week in a lake near my home. I am a weight lifter: I lift weights—heavy weights—twice a week following a high-intensity protocol, and while at the gym use the cardio equipment to keep my body in shape for the outdoor sports I like. I am a biker: I love to ride my bike and ride a couple of times a week, often 26-30 miles per ride once a week. I am a chef: I love to cook and presently am experimenting with a plant-basesd diet. I am a person who gives guidance: I volunteer one day a week as a counselor at a crisis pregnancy center. I am an active outdoors woman: I love to hike and camp (In a tent, with a sleeping bag. Yikes, am I weird or what!). And I am a student: In my spare time I study French, which one day I hope to speak fluently. Right now I’m at an intermediate level. I'm also a student of the Bible and a child of God.
HERE ARE MY S.M.A.R.T. GOALS FOR 2012:
1. The goal that originally brought me to SP deals with weight. It’s my goal to get those last 20 pounds off. The truth is, I’m not totally positive I can get down to 125 since that puts me at a hair under 20% body fat, and at 68 that’s mighty hard to do. Probably more realistic is 133, but I will keep 125 as my goal and see what happens. I want to achieve this by Nov. 30, 2012 by proper eating and plenty of physical activity, the Lord willing.
2. It’s my goal to row around the lake, which is a distance of 4K, in under 30 minutes. I am at 32.5 minutes as my current personal best right now, but I want to improve upon that. I want to do this by August 30, 2012. I will use my current measuring device of my Polar7 HRM to measure my rowing time.
3. It is my goal to eat a plant-based diet for the next 2 months, and to evaluate at the end of Mar. if eating that way really makes any difference in my health or in how I feel. My annual physical, with blood work and a dexa-scan is scheduled for mid March.
4. I want to be more faithful with doing my HIIT cardio, with a specific goal of doing this 2X every week on the same day that I lift weight, and logging it in on my SP activity log. I also set as an activity goal riding my bike 2X every week, weather permitting and taking 1 or 2 days of rest per week. I will evaluate this plan on Feb. 29 to see if I need to make any changes in coordinating with my food plan and, of course, measure it by seeing the entries on my activity log. It is my goal to burn 1500 extra calories per week through exercise, with 280 minutes done each week.
5. It is my goal to improve my French by studying at least 15 minutes every day, either vocabulary or reading a French magazine article, and by watching at least 2 hours of French TV programming every week.
SOME FAVORITE QUOTES:
If you keep on doing what you’ve always done, you’ll keep on getting what you’ve always got.
- W. L. Bateman
---and the related quote---
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
- Albert Einstein
If my "needs" control me, even legitimate ones, then I am out of control.
- Jon Dunwell
Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it.
- William Penn, circa 1686
Love is an act of endless forgiveness.
- Peter Ustinov
The will of God will never lead you where the grace of God cannot keep you.
- unknown, first line of a poem
He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.
- Jim Elliot
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.
- George Santayana
The Gospel doesn’t make bad people good; the Gospel makes dead people alive!
You can exercise until the cows come home, but unless you also eat right you'll still be a cow coming home.
I am the LORD your God, who brought you out . . . of slavery. You shall have no other gods before Me.
- God (Ex. 20: 2-3, Deut. 5:5-6)
| current weight: 143.6
Member Since: 8/22/2007
Fitness Minutes: 50,790
I am setting SMART goals for myself: Specific, Measurable, Action-oriented, Realistic, and Time-stamped.
SPECIFICALLY, it is my goal to ultimately reach a weight of 125 pounds with 19% body fat. Starting weight with SP is 179.
I will MEASURE my progress each Mon. through SP tools, tape measure, calendar, scale, skinfold caliper and my clothing size.
My goals are ACTION-ORIENTED because I have a plan with sub-goals that involve action to achieve them.
I believe that my goals are REALISTIC, because I am willing to do the hard work to accomplish them.
TIME-STAMPED! It is my goal to lose 3 lbs. each calendar month. I also want to reach 140 lbs.by March 19, 2012.
1. I will use a weight ticker, participate in Sparkteam weigh-ins, and keep my food and fitness tracker public for accountability.
2. My workout plan:
MONDAYS – 30 minutes Super Slow weight training. Heavy weights. Then follow up with 30-40 minutes of HIIT cardio.
TUESDAYS -- Rest day or walking or biking in my neighborhood.
WEDNESDAYS -- Rowing a single scull at least 4K, and sometimes more, depending on water conditions.
THURSDAYS -- Repeat of Monday
FRIDAYS -- Repeat of Wednesday
SATURDAYS – Play day with fun outdoor cardio: biking the trail 20 to 30 miles.
SUNDAYS –Biking, working in the yard, or resting.
3. Change my attitude about food: Instead of holding tightly to the “Living to Eat” syndrome, experience the merits of “Eating to Live.”
I'm a 70 year old woman who found SparkPeople in August 2007. I reside in the southeastern U.S. and enjoy living in warm weather where it is easy to be active year-round. I suffer from hypothyroidism/Hashimoto's disease and have struggled for the past 15 years with weight gain. I am active and lift weights a couple of times a week. My favorite outdoor activities are rowing--I row a single scull twice a week 4K around a lake near my home--and biking--I ride about 25 miles once a week. I am a sports fan, especially of the Florida Gators. I am a peer-counselor at a pregnancy care center and also a grandma to a grandson who was born Oct. 2010. My husband and I like to travel, and I study French so that I can speak it when we visit France.