Winter Solstice 2008 - Beginning again. No regrets, no guilt. Just take what I've learned from my successes, and from my mistakes, and start MOVING (literally and figuratively...), one step at a time. As my Buddhist teacher often says - about returning to the breath after being distracted during meditation - "begin again, fresh". So I'm beginning again "fresh" this first day of the new sun cycle. New day, new breath. Same goals, new commitment.
Lose 40 pounds by June 1. That's 2 pounds per week, beginning today (1/3/09)
1/3 - started on the Alternate Day Diet with food choices that follow diet guidelines from "You On a Diet", South Beach, and Sonoma
Exercise 30 minutes 6 days per week: Curves &/or treadmill.
I live in Oregon, about 40 miles SE of Portland, in the foothills of the Cascades. I'll be 63 in January '09. I'm happily married and retired.
Reading: fiction, non-fiction, poetry...
Gardening: ornamental shrubs, flowers, fruits, vegetables, et al.
Husbands: 1 (well, actually 3, but this one's for keeps)
Kids: 1 delightful daughter, 39
Friends & Family: I am SO grateful for the wealth of deep friendship and support in my life!
Secrets of Success
This user doesn't have any secrets of success.
| current weight: 165.0
Love that pic of you in the boat. Is it Costa Rica? The mediterranean? Looks idyllic.
3675 days ago
Just thought I would drop in and say hi...Look at your ticker. You are movin' along, aren't you. My kids are moving back from Oregon this weekend. I will miss my trips to your lovely state, but am so thankful to have them back. Hubby and I DO get to Portland, just for the fun of it, from time to time...would love to spend some time with you in your garden...you are always welcome when you come south, you know...
3684 days ago
...and speaking of *108:*
The Significance Of The Mystical Number 108
By Vaughn Paul Manley, M.A., Vedic Astrologer
Have you ever wondered why a typical beaded neckace from the East, called a mala, is always strung with 108 beads? You'll find this to be the case not only in Hindu traditions but also Buddhist, Sikh, Jain and virtually any tradition that has it's roots in India. If you've ever been initiated into the use of a mantra you've probably been told to chant your mantra at least 108 times a day, not fifteen minutes a day. Why? In Japan the Zen temple bells ring 108 times to bring in the New Year. Obviously this number is significant. But why not a more round number like 100?
The early Vedic sages were renowned mathematicians and in fact invented our number system. 108 was definitely the number of choice for this simple reason: 108 represents the whole of existence. Here's some interesting reasons why:
1. The number 9 represents wholeness and 108 when added together equals 9. 1+0+8 = 9. Interestingly, if you multiply 9 times ANYTHING, the answer is always 9 when you add the numbers together. Try it! 1x9= 9. 2x9=18 1+8=9. 285x9=2565 2+5+6+5=18 1+8=9. 8543x9=76887 7+6+8+8+7=36 3+6=9 The logic behind this is that 9 represents wholeness or God and God times anything is always God since God is all there is!
2. The 9 planets traveling through the 12 signs constitutes the whole of existence. 9 x 12 = 108
3. The 27 nakshatras or lunar constellations spread over the 4 elements - fire, earth, air, water or the 4 directions - north, south, east, and west. This also constitutes the whole of existence. 27 x 4 = 108
4. Consider the powers of 1, 2, and 3 in math: 1 to 1st power = 1; 2 to 2nd power = 4 (2x2); 3 to 3rd power = 27 (3x3x3). 1x4x27 = 108. The logic behind this is that 1 represents 1 dimensional reality, 2 represents 2 dimensional reality, 3 represents 3 dimensional reality. When you mulitply their powers together then you encompass the whole of existence.
5. The universe is made up of 108 elements according to ancient texts. The current periodic table claims a few more than 108.
6. The diameter of the Sun is 108 times the diameter of the earth (give or take a few miles.)
3732 days ago
Deep gratitude for the link to *108 Days.* It's a wonderful resource in my spiritual aridity.
3734 days ago
Glad to hear from you......I'm getting used to this whole spark people system, thought to answer you on your page, I think that's how folks generally do it, and works well.
In answer to your question, I'm doing well. Still getting walks in nightly and prayed daily for help with food. Response to my prayer is removal of my desire for vending machine candies and chips.
I'm in Clackamas County.
Weather was beautiful yesterday, crisp air and blue skies! Will enjoy warm spring sun too.....it's on the way!
3737 days ago