Me at Area 51 in Rachel NV
Me in Nevada
Shared Food & Fitness Trackers
I've been fat my whole life, and once I tipped the scale at 302 lbs I knew that I had to do something. My father was over 500 lbs at one point and needed gastric bypass surgery (experimental at the time) to keep him alive. I want to enjoy my 20's and be able to do active things with my friends and family. I love to travel and my experiences have been dampered by being unable to participate in local adventures.
I was trying to find a way to track minigoals/milestones that are weight related that aren't just arbitrary numbers that look pretty on paper. So I'm going to use the weight I would need to be to hit a certain BMI subcategory. For reference, I'm 5'7" so my weight multiplier is .1566
At 302 lbs, the weight I was when I first started in June of 2008, I had a BMI of 47.29, which is considered morbidly obese.
- Get out of morbid obese range - 255 lbs, 39.93 BMI
- Get out of Class 2 obese range - 223 lbs, 34.92 BMI
- Get out of obese range completely - 191, 29.91 BMI
- Get out of overweight range - 159, 24.89 BMI
Once I'm in a normal BMI range, I'll re-evaluate how I feel and what my body looks like and see where I want to go from there.
February '09 BMI - 44.22, 282.4 lbs
March '09 BMI - 42.8, 273 lbs
It's not all about weight, and my favorite quote that I've found thus far is "Weight loss is not a goal, but the result of healthy habits like a better diet and regular exercise. " This is the philosophy that I've been trying to live by. I want to eat healthy and eat the proper amount of food that truly NOURISHES me. Food is not about entertainment or fun, although that's what it's associated with in these times. Food is about giving your body fuel and providing it with proper nutrients. My nutrition goals are to accomplish just that. Now, in order to accomplish that I am trying to make the following LIFESTYLE changes in my diet. This will probably be the hardest thing for me. I was brought up on McDonald's and TV Dinners. I also was brought up extremely picky and never ate vegetables or anything healthy, so this is attempting to change 25 years of bad habits and malnutrition. These also aren't goals that I can ever officially meet, because life happens, but these are what I'm aiming for:
- NO MORE PROCESSED FOODS
- Be able to pronounce and identify every ingredient on a label
- Do not eat out, and when I do, incorporate these goals into what I am ordering.
- Follow the food pyramid and strive to eat balanced nutrition.
- Do not eat empty calories - before putting something in my mouth, question whether or not this will nourish me.
- Switch to organic (preferably locally raised) grass fed beef and pasture-raised chicken and eggs.
- Eat foods that do not have hormones, antibiotics, or any other additives.
- Eat foods as close to their original form as possible.
Expend energy in a natural way every day. That might take awhile to get to, and my life is pretty hectic, so I realize that going to the gym will be necessary at least for awhile. Get at least 30 minutes of moderately intensive cardio everyday. Other goals include:
- Run 1 full mile non-stop
- Run the equivalent of a 5K non-stop
- Hike 5 miles
- Walk/hike 10 miles
- Walk/hike 20 miles
- Spend a weekend backpacking and walk/hike 50 miles
- Ride a bicycle (Need to get to safe weight first)
- Ride a bicycle to work one day (16 miles)
- Dance every single dance at a contra dance
- MANY more but let's start with these.
Weight loss is not a goal, but the result of healthy habits like a better diet and regular exercise.
I would like to be considered "healthy" and whatever weight I feel that I have accomplished this, is the weight I want to be at.
For official weight markers, I'll go by BMI. I have 4 mini goals, and then I'll re-evaluate when I'm at a "normal" BMI and decide where my body needs to be from there. I can't even imagine myself at a normal BMI, so let's wait for that.
My starting BMI @ 302 was 47.29 and considered morbidly obese.
Goal 1: 39.93 BMI - 255 lbs(Class 2 obese)
Goal 2: 34.92 BMI - 223 lbs (Obese)
Goal 3: 29.91 BMI - 191 lbs (Overweight)
Goal 4: 24.89 BMI - 159 lbs (Normal)
And just for a nice round number my official goal is 150 lbs.
Trying to eat clean, eat healthy, expend energy, and maintain a healthy lifestyle.
In terms of numbers, I'm going for a minimum of 30 minutes of moderately intensive cardio/day, sometimes at the gym, preferably outside walking/running with the dog, or working on my house. Eating between 1340 and 1680 calories/day.
My name is Debbie, I'm 25 years old and from Stafford Springs, CT. I am married to a wonderful husband, and I have three cats and a dog. I'm into photography and nature and computers and geeky things like that.
Secrets of Success
This user doesn't have any secrets of success.
| current weight: 258.8