BSTAKINGACTION is a SparkPeople Motivator!
Having found my way through the fitness part of my journey, my travels are all about nutrition now. Over the past several years I've experimented with what works nutritionally for me. I've had some successes and some failures. The successes are becoming my nutritional guidelines.
1. Eat up to 3 meals and 3 snacks (if desired) from 12 p.m. - 8 p.m. Eat only to sustain life. Fast on water and herbal tea for the other 16 hours.
2. Use the "my plate" guide for older adults to ensure portion control: http://now.tufts.edu/news-releases/tufts-u
3. Make water available at all times.
4. Eat food as close to its original form as possible.
5. Eat what supports and heals: whole, local, organic, grass-fed, free range, wild caught.
6. Avoid what hurts: refined sugar, gluten, overly processed anything, high levels of animal fat.
7. Log food intake after 5 p.m.
8. Plan meals and stock appropriate food choices.
Love your body for what it can do, not for what it looks like.
Its not about feeling good; its about feeling good ABOUT MYSELF - Sparker Shrinkinglulu
"Don't read the ingredients. If there's an ingredient list, its been processed." - Dr. Mark William Cochran. How simple is that?
Quotes from Elizabeth Gilbert - "Eat, Pray, Love"
"True wisdom gives the only possible answer at any given moment, and that night, going back to bed was the only possible answer." - Perfect for those nights when I toss and turn with the weight of my world.
"Never forget that once upon a time, in an unguarded moment, you recognized yourself as a friend."
"...you must be very polite with yourself when you are learning something new."
"Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could..."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
"Arriving at one point is the starting point to another."
- John Dewey
"I won't let myself end where I started. I won't let myself finish where I began. I know what is within me. I have something more important than courage. I have patience. I will become what I know I am." - Jordan Commercial "Be Legendary"
"To insure good health: Eat lightly, breathe deeply, live moderately, cultivate cheerfulness, and maintain an interest in life." - William Londen
THROUGH MY SPARK CHALLENGES AND ACTIONS I HAVE LEARNED MORE ABOUT MYSELF:
1. I have a great sense of humor and I'm very competitive.
2. My body doesn't need as much food as I thought it did.
3. I CAN float and my body IS capable of moving through water.
4. I can run for 5 hours.
5. There really is a running "happy" place where your heart rate and breathing even out and it doesn't feel much different from walking fast.
6. Failure is good. It means I've challenged myself and have something to learn.
7. Being active is simple...just move.
8. Exercise can be fun when you try it with other people.
9. Its ok to quit doing something if it doesn't make you happy....just look for something to replace it that does.
10. My body works best low gluten and no sugar.
11. You're never too old to look fabulous and live healthy (EX. Ernestine Shephard)
12. I'm a MORNING PERSON! Who knew that morning exercisers are MADE not born?
13. I need at least 7 hours of sleep or I suffer from "fatigue hunger" and don't have the mental faculties to make good choices.
14. Facing adversity is best done with friends by your side.
15. I LOVE REAL FOOD.
16. When I am eating simply, I am eating well.
17. I'm sharper of mind, physically more alert, and have better reflexes when I am slightly hungry.
18. Maintaining weight loss is a process in itself.
ACTIONS LEAD TO ACCOMPLISHMENTS!
*6/07 - Was asked to become a fitness instructor for 3 YMCA classes. Who me? Uh...sure.
*1/08-6/08: learned to swim for the very first time!
*3/22/09 - BMI hits 24.7 - In healthy range for the first time in 9 years!
*5/24/09 - 10k Virtual Race - 65:00 (outdoor) - 1st place!!!!
*6/20/09 - First competitive race:
Racine Lighthouse 10 mile Run:
Age group place - 15/23
Overall - 497/780
Official Time - 1:40:59.9
Pace - 10:06/M
*7/11/09 - Dragonboat Competition - Rowing not running! Results: 3rd place in our division!
*8/09 - Participated in a high level bootcamp with 20-30 somethings and my mountain-climbing brother. Fitness Eval Results: 62 military pushups and an 8:43 mile!
*8/26/09 - Resting heart rate has dropped from 75 to 41. Dr. confirms its the heart working more efficiently.
*9/7/09 - Ran 13.25 miles for the first time. It wasn't pretty, it wasn't fun, but, by golly, I did it.
*9/20/09 - First Competitive 1/2 Marathon: Fox Cities in WI
Finish - 2:22:21
Pace - 10:52
Overall place - 1869/2635
Gender place - 992/1616
Age place - 94/180
* 11/26/09 - Thanksgiving 5k - 30:22
*12/22/09 - Went 17 days without sugar!
* 12/31/09 - Completed a 6 week regimen of 5am strength training/6x per week!
*2/7/10 - Surf City 1/2 Marathon
Overall: 6286 out of 11799
Women: 3278 out of 7526 F 45-49: 357 out of 888
Age/Grade: 52.96% Place: 3914
Finish: 2:21:11 Pace: 10:47
Split Times 3 Mi: 29:50 Pace: 9:57 ; 8.2 Mi: 1:25:27 Pace: 10:26
*3/20/10 - Joined a running group for the first time. Scary, but in the long run, very fun.
*4/18/10 - Ran my first double digit starting with a 2....23.21 miles in 4:17.
*5/9/10 - Completed Becky's 1st Personal Marathon - time is not important because it was all about going the distance - 26.2 miles!
*8/9/10 - Completed a 100k bike ride for Big Brothers Big Sisters
*11/25/10 - Thanksgiving 5k - 29:07 PR!
*2/12/11 - Seroogy Valentine Run 5k - 28:55 PR!
*6/11 - Spontaneous, unplanned 4 mile competitive effort in the Racine Lighthouse Run - 10:04 pace
*12/11 - Cycled to work and back at least one day of each week throughout 2011!
*5/5/12 - Wisconsin Half Marathon -
Chip Time 2:39:06; 12:09 pace
Overall Place 2106/2416
Gender Place 1225/1480
Division Place 62/83
*5/19/12 - Color Run! The Happiest 5k On the PLANET! And it was!
*2012 - 2015 completed various running events from 5k's to 1/2 marathons.
To feel good about myself in mind, body and spirit
To remain positive, calm and as fearless as possible.
To stay medication free my whole life.
To stay physically active until the day I die.
To consume foods in an ethical and sustainable manner
Real food; locally and ethically grown in small quantities.
Pre-planned and well-balanced meals using Spark-D tracker.
Restful and plentiful sleep
Move daily for as long as possible.
Functional, weight-bearing activities daily to stay viable as I age.
Favorite Physical Activities:
Functional ST exercises
I am officially over the middle-age hump.
I like to laugh.
Food makes me feel good.
I never give up.
I'm learning to quiet the mental chatter and sit still.
Secrets of Success
This user doesn't have any secrets of success.
| Pounds lost: 9.0
Thanks for the comments on my blog. I think you are right, I have to keep some transitional staples for when the schedule goes off track. Like you, I am surprised at how much LESS labor-intensive vegan is. That has been a very pleasant surprise! As for cheese, let me know how that cookbook is... THanks again!
1297 days ago
THanks for the comments on my blog! As for the kelp granules, yes, I did have to find them at a specialty store in the Asian section. It took a while for me to find them. Of course, I could have just asked somebody. Ha!
1318 days ago
Really appreciate your comment on "What I wanna eat" -- wow this is a time of year when I have to bring out the heavy duty self pep talk to stay remotely "on track"!!
1348 days ago
thanks for reading and commenting on my blog have a nice week
1402 days ago
Thanks for the flu sympathy! What a glorious wallpaper for fall!!
1402 days ago