Tree of Life--Celtic Knot Design
65 pounds lost--a 30% reduction in weight and no longer obese. Now on to a Healthy BMI!
Yosemite Valley--one of my favorite places on the planet
BLESSEDBEING is a SparkPeople Motivator!
I want to learn to treat myself better: to nourish and cherish my body, which is a holy vessel; to manifest beauty, grace and abundance; to welcome the gifts and guidance of the Goddess.
[I wrote that when I first joined, long before I made noticeable progress or got involved with teams and Sharing the Spark. Yet it is still completely true. But wanting to share more about the things which influence and inspire me, such as some of my favorite books, movies, songs, affirmations, writers, tools . . . I think if I keep writing, they'll just show up on another page under "More." So here goes, and I will update and add to this as I recall or add other items to share.
Affirmations: Louise Hay is my girl, and the illustrated gift edition (ISBN 1-56170-628-0) of You Can Heal Your Life is my primary reference work.
Calendar: Advice from Nature by YourTrueNature.com
* Fiction--The Harry Potter series by JK Rowling. Prisoner of Azkaban was my favorite up until the Deathly Hallows was released. The movies have been magnificently cast, though large quantities of material have been necessarily cut. Glad the last book's being filmed in 2 parts, as to do justice to this awesome culmination to such a marvelous feat of storytelling which is so exquisitely filled with magic and morality, beauty and bravery, and above all, that great mystery of which Lord Voldemort knows naught: Love.
--Harry Dresden series by Jim Butcher
--Mercy Thompson series & Alpha and Omega series by Patricia Briggs
--Sigma series & most stand alones by James Rollins (a nice guy who writes great charcaters, intelligent thrillers filled with cutting-edge science, history, art & a bit of the supernatural)
--Witchcraft series by Juliet Blackwell
--Magic Potion series by Heather Blake
--Psychic Eye series by Victoria Laurie
--Wishcraft series by Heather Blake
--China Bayles series by Susan Wittig Albert
--Darling Dahlias series by S W Albert
--Kate Shugak series by Dana Stabenow
--Yada Yada Prayer Group series by Naceta Jackson
--Odelia Grey series by Sue Ann Jaffarian
* Life Purpose--This Time I Dance! by Tama Kieves
* Organizing--Organizing From the Inside Out by Julie Morgenstern
--One Year to an Organized Life by Regina Leeds
* Picture Book--Bad Kitty, an absolutely hilarious alphabet book by Mark Bruel; also his Poor Puppy & new Christmas book (starring Bad Kitty & costarring Poor Puppy)--which may make you laugh and cry.
* Self-Help--Mindsight by Daniel J. Siegel
--Pleasure Prescription by Paul Pearsall
--Warrior Goddess Training by HeatherAsh Amara
--Growing Up Again by Clarke and Dawson
--Clutter Busting by Brooks Palmer
--Feng Shui Made Easy by William Spear
* Wicca, practical--A Woman's Book of Rituals & Celebrations by Barbara Ardinger
* Wicca, spiritual--The Circle Within by Dianne Sylvan
* Carry the Love--Living Love songs
* Freedom River by Jai Josefs
* Live on Earth by Krishna Das
Movies: The Harry Potter films have been grand, and excellently cast. They don't always have the depth and emotional richness of the novels, but have been an amazing accomplishment. In general, I'm especially fond of redemption stories (and wasn't that one of the more profound themes in the HP series?), and here are some of my favorite ones on film:
* A Christmas Carol (my favorite version is the George C Scott one, also Mr Magoo's)
* Groundhog Day
* Heart and Souls
* Renaissance Man
* Sister Act
A similar favorite theme is transformation, when a person (who may not have started out nasty) blossoms or becomes a better person:
* Just Like Heaven
* Bend It Like Beckham
* Galaxy Quest
* Last Holiday
* The Holiday (more Kate's story than Cameron's)
* The Big Chill
* Calendar Girls (sort of a transformation tale)
* Disney animated musicals
* Fools Rush In
* In and Out
* Monsters Inc. (not University)
* Runaway Bride
* Ruthless People
* Terminator and T2: Judgement Day
--T1 has one of the most romantic quotes ever: "I came across time for you, Sarah. I love you, I always have."
* Toy Story--all 3
* While You Were Sleeping
* Albus Dumbledore (by way of JK Rowling):
It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. (II:333)
It matters not what someone is born, but what they grow to be! (IV:708)
Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real? (VII:723)
* Paul Pearsall in The Pleasure Prescription: It is better to eat beer and franks with cheer and thanks, than to eat bread and sprouts with dread and doubts.
Spiritual Tools: Motherpeace Tarot deck and book--I prefer the cross-cultural and matriarchal images, plus they are round!
TV Series (mostly ones with a spiritual theme; will later add favorite episodes; the list is alpha, not in order of preference or value--just easier to keep track!):
* 4400 (so sorry this went off the air so soon)
* Alien Nation
* Buffy, the Vampire Slayer [I've got the 7 seasons on DVD and several companion books]
--favorite episode: Once More with Feeling musical
* Doll House (discovered on DVD after its run)
* Downton Abbey
* Drop Dead Diva
* Eli Stone (so sorry this went off the air so soon)
* Gilmore Girls (discovered on DVD after its run; I've got the 7 seasons on DVD)
--favorite scene Loreli's season 7 karaoke serenade which is one of the most romantic scenes on film)
* Joan of Arcadia
--favorite episode: Queen of the Zombies
* Quantum Leap
* Star Trek: Deep Space Nine (Yes, I liked the first 4 series, but couldn't get into Enterprise. Yet DS9 remains my favorite by far [I've got the 7 seasons on DVD and the Companion book], with the most complex story arcs, sprituality, and fascinating friendships)
--favorite serious episode: Duet (season 1)
--favorite comic episode: Take Me Out to the Holosuite (season 6)
I admit I love to write, and think I say some pretty powerful things sometimes. I've decided to start copying some of my comments to Spark Friends here when the thoughts expressed may have universal or future applications.
9/3/11 to a SF who dropped below 300#:
AWESOME! I am so thrilled for you and your success, that I had to throw you a party! Of course there will be lots of energetic dancing and any other exercise you enjoy, plus every healthy, low-cal snack & nutritious food you enjoy. Also, we will play only positive music with inspiring lyrics, and every person there will tell you all the wonderful things they love about you. In fact we will write them down for you, so you can read them whenever your energy or confidence runs a little low. You will be reminded that you have enthusiastic, supportive friends behind you ready to catch you or give a gentle push, more friends bside you on the journey cheering all the way, and more friends up ahead beckoning you onward and ready to welcome you to each milestone and new stage of your quest.
Brava!! Blessed Be, Amanda
9/10 commenting on a blog about self-acceptance:
Yes. You are a precious child of God/the Goddess and deserve to be treated with exquisite tenderness. When you love and accept yourself right now, as you are, you want to create the most joyful and fulfilling life that you can. Rather than withholding self-love until you have met all your goals, see every effort to enhance your health, organization and prosperity as a gift you are giving this amazing friend and wonderful person--You!
To be stronger, slimmer, healthier and more energetic.
To encourage & learn from other positive people on this journey.
To balance the physical and the spiritual.
To create a beautiful, intentional and supportive environment.
More consistent exercise--cardio, resistance, yoga.
Tracking many kinds of goals to promote emotional, financial, spiritual health too!
Being active on my teams, and involved with dear Spark Friends.
Grew up in Oakland, CA, now in the Seattle area. Have struggled with PTSD; meditation, affirmations & tapping (EFT) are helping, as is continued success with Sparking! I'm grateful to be working with a great therapist as well.
It took me a bit over 2 years to go from obese to a healthy BMI. The habits I cultivated while shedding weight are the ones that enable me to maintain. Remember to take joy in the journey--don't make it all about the goal.
I love Nature. Water and mountains bring me the most joy and comfort.
Kitty mommy. Former kung fu student. Now focused on my Getting Free project.
I respect all spiritual paths, and choose to celebrate the Divine in Her feminine form.
Secrets of Success
This user doesn't have any secrets of success.
| current weight: 151.2