Ok, so this is a thin picture. What can I say?
Me and the love of my life -- my absolutely adorable & brilliant 10 year old son Nick.
This was at least 5 years ago, but I pretty much look the same. This is a pretty honest before pic.
Here I am, embarking on yet another fitness idea. I am a professional dieter and have all the extra weight to prove it. At 49 years old, I am so over dieting it isn't even funny. I need to take another road. Could this be it?
I am a self admitted professional dieter. You name it, I've probably tried it. I've had great success with WW, but find it too slow at this point in my life. I lost 27 lbs last year on Nutrisystem and gained every single pound, plus an extra 4 back! In retrospect, the food was practically inedible. Yes, you lose but is it really worth it? Treating yourself like you're being punished for being overweight is not healthy.
And speaking of being punished, what's up with plus size clothes? Recently, my adorable 10 year old son (shown below with me) asked me why the clothes were all so ugly while we were shopping. I told him that it was our punishment for being big! LOL
Anyway - here I am again. I want to eat like a healthy person. I want to be good at least 80% of the time and bad the other 20% and not gain weight. I want to make working out be less of a bummer and more of a regular part of my day. In short, I want to be 50 and fabulous this year!
Update: Well, here I am 2 years later - and now 52 years old. Amazingly, I've gained even more weight! I'm back again and willing to give it the old college try one more time. I'm searching for the motiviation to really make it work this time. I feel alone in this, even though I know that there are millions of women in the exact same boat. My husband offers little in the way of support or motivation and my children, love them though I do, don't really get it and also cannot help me with support. In the end, I guess it's something that I have to do for me, without the help or support of others. That's how bad I'll need to want this.
So tomorrow, I begin again. It's like Groundhog Day. Another Monday, another day filled with hope. I'm trying to take the adive of other Sparkpeople members to self-motivate. Make small goals, stick with them, and reward myself when I achieve them. Then move on to the next small goal. Baby steps!
Please wish me luck!
UPDATE: 55 YEARS OLD NOW AND I FINALLY DID IT! LOST 55 LBS ON QSYMIA. NEEDED A LITTLE HELP I GUESS. NEED TO DROP MY LAST 10 AND I'M JOINING WW TO DO THAT AND BECOME A LIFETIME MEMBER...FINALLY! MY BODY HAS NEVER LOOKED OR FELT SO GOOD!
I'd like to be able to buy the cute clothes. I'd like to be able to cross my legs easily. I'd like to not be the chubby girl at a baby shower. I'd like to feel sexy again. I'd like to set a good example for my child. I'd love to be able to say that I accomplished something really, really big.
#1 - NOT dieting.
#2 - NOT eating yucky food.
#3 - NOT depriving myself of the good stuff (including carbs and sweets.)
#4 - I AM working out.
#5 - I AM eating healthy.
#6 - I AM trying to love myself more.
#7 - Committing to working out a minimum of 5 days per week, which will not only include the gym, but by being outside as well!
#8 - being a role model for my son
#9 - See #3 above? I wrote that 2 years ago and you can see that my mind wasn't in the right place then. I'm smarter now. I have to commit to making healthier food choices, even if it means giving up my favorite foods. Period. I'm currently on Atkins and loving it.
At present I'm a 52 year old mom to a 4 year old (adopted from Novosibirsk, Russia on May 27, 2008), and a biological 13 year old son.
I have a terrific husband, who until about 5 years ago had never thought for a second about what he ate and never gained a lb. That all changed and now he is also looking to drop a few.
My 13 year old also struggles with body image and being a bit chubby. He won't do a thing about his weight as long as he sees me only "talking the talk". I've got to walk the walk - for him, not only for myself.
I'm a liberal and a democrat and I live in Southern California.
Secrets of Success
This user doesn't have any secrets of success.
| current weight: 154.4
Okay, so I read your Spark page and thought you seem to have the same experience I'm dealing with. You've inspired me to give it another try. Thanks!
2221 days ago
I just stopped by to say "Hi"
I hope things are going your way!!!
I am doing okay. I am kicking my butt into gear and finally going to get this weight off of me.
2380 days ago
Hi, welcome to the SP Weekend Survival Team!
2384 days ago
I had never watched house hunters til last night. After reading your blog I looked it up. How fun! You looked beautiful!
2394 days ago
Thanks for the goodie - it made my day! Have a great week.
2417 days ago