Scuba regulator and mask.
Ice Skate! Freestyle 1 technical, to an Argentine Tango. (88 kg ~ 194 lbs)
Lost 50 lbs in a little over a year.
I have been vegetarian for 13 years; during the first decade I gained over 45 lbs. I was somewhat lucky that I stayed healthy, and a little bit active.
My employer gave us... ahem... an incentive... to sign up for SparkPeople at the beginning of 2008, and I did. I have since made some changes to my diet (still vegetarian) and exercise routines, and I have lost over 50 lbs (22 kg).
The cafeteria at our workplace improved its fresh food offerings, which greatly helped with my diet: I eat over 2 lbs (1 kg) of fresh salad every work day. I also stopped buying foods high in the glycemic index, and I order salad when I eat out instead of maybe more elaborate vegetarian meals. I don't get the culinary bang for my buck, but I do get a health boost.
I scuba dive, ski, ice skate, play indoor soccer (football), tennis, swim, and jog. I've always done these things, but I have stepped up the weekly doses and the consistency since signing up here. I try to average one hour of exercise per day.
I have experienced firsthand the irony that the more weight you lose and the fitter you get, the easier and more enjoyable exercising becomes (i.e. the less you need it, the easier it is). My point: these are just the rules of the game... you must endure the extra effort, and you shall be rewarded more and more as you go! On the other hand, the further down the slope you go, the harder it is to get back were you are now.
At this point, my new lifestyle feels natural. I'm really happy and proud of it, and I encourage people to try it! I still have to lose some more weight, but it just happens as I continue to live as my new healthier self.
Send me a piece of SparkMail with the number of clichï¿½s you can count in this text, and you may win a SparkGoodie!
Ongoing from 2008:
1) Weigh about 85 kg (185 lbs), or less... lets see where my body takes me. (done: 2008-12-31. maintained within 5 kg / 10lbs since.)
2) Run a half-marathon (done: SF 2009-07-26 in 2:39), maybe a marathon (done: SF 2010-07-25 in 4:56).
3) Complete a "Gunbarrel 25" at Heavenly ski resort. (done: 2010-04-03, placed 3rd in the "experimental" category.)
New in 2009:
4) Test as an ISI Freestyle ice skater. (done: FS1 test 2009-05-01, Technical 1st place against the book 2009-07-29)
1) Only eat when feeling appetite. Stop eating periodically and re-check appetite.
2) Eat lots of fresh food, like salads. Avoid foods high in the glycemic index. I'm a vegetarian for crying out loud!
3) Exercise every day.
4) Track weight and exercise daily.
5) When feeling some eating anxiety, take a "chill-pill" (any vitamin, calcium, supplement, etc.) with water.
Secrets of Success
This user doesn't have any secrets of success.
| current weight: 88.0