Dec. 2, 2008 - Dec. 2, 2012
4 Year Anniversary of my "Aha!" Moment.
My 7th Marathon Jan. 26, 2014
Dec. 2008 - Sept. 2013
Shared Fitness Tracker
TIAGAYEPFA is a SparkPeople Motivator!
My name is Tia and I live in Tampa, FL. I'm 44 and have finally taken control of my health! Wherever you are in your journey, please don't give up! Revamp, restart, rejuvenate, but don't quit! Time and consistency are so key!
I started my Healthy Lifestyle Journey in Dec. 2008 when I realized "I'm 40 and I'm fat!", and joined SP in Jan. 2009 and I haven't looked back since! I have met all my goals and continue to lead a healthy lifestyle! I achieved my goal size of going from Size 14 to 4 in September 2009 and have maintained so far!
My first goal was to run a 15k, since that was the last race I had run back in 1996 (when I was in my 20's and somewhat fit). Completed that 2-28-09!
Never would have thought at that time that exactly a year later I would run a complete 26.2 mile Marathon. But on 2/28/2010, I did and even ran the entire way! I couldn't believe it, it was such an emotional moment for me, and especially to have done it with my husband. I've since run another full and a total of 17 Half Marathons. If you're a runner, I have a fun Facebook group called Running Friends From Around The World with lots of Sparkfriends there! Feel free to join: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1738329660
I completed my first Figure Competition July 2010. I had NEVER worn a bikini in public before this and now I stepped on stage in front of 1,000 people in a teeny bikini. This was be my "Pinnacle Goal" in my weight loss journey, but not the end of my healthy lifestyle! I already have other goals I'm setting my sights on after the competition.
It's now been over 4 years since getting to my goal size and I've maintained and am very proud of that. It hasn't been the easiest thing, but since exercise and eating right is now part of my life, it's not too hard either! I continue to set fitness goals and help others any way I can. It's about paying it forward.
I have an online Nutritional Coach, Ruben (Sparkname: FLEXCHEF) who really helped me take my healthy lifestyle to the next level. I learned that it's truly 80% diet to reaching our weight loss goals. He's about to blow up and be featured on the EBay website soon and I couldn't be prouder of him!
My Spark Video from start to my first Half-Marathon 11-2009:
Featured on Local Fox News on 8-11-2010:
Featured in 7/2011 First For Women magazine
Featured in Dec 2011/Jan 2012 Ebony magazine
People ask what's been the key to my weight loss. I'm no expert, but this is what's worked for me and what I've learned:
1) Deciding to never diet, but to have a healthy lifestyle, and part of that by tracking everything I eat and workout (good or bad). I still track diligently every day.
2) Not depriving myself, but making better choices (so there's nothing I "can't" have, there are just things I choose not to have, or not to have much of.
3) Preparation. You can make excuses or lead a healthy lifestyle but you can't do both. Gladware should become your best friend. Take a day or two and prepare your food. Grill a bunch of meat, chop veggies, portion it and put it in ready to take containers. That way, when you leave the house, you grab and go!
3) Always having a goal and telling everyone about it so I couldn't get out of it. I started with doing a 15k, and continue to set goals.
4) Measure each month. I didn't use the scale as my biggest indicator, I measured and did body fat testing. The scale goes up and down constantly sometimes which can be frustrating, but as long as I was doing the right things with my exercise and nutrition, the numbers eventually went down, but the inches lost always gave me encouragement!
THINGS I'VE LEARNED ABOUT EATING RIGHT:
1) Always eat within an hour of waking to start the metabolism
2) Never go more than 4 hours without eating
3) Have protein with every meal
4) Stay away from processed foods - Eat CLEAN!
5) Watch my sodium intake to stay under 2,000mg a day
6) Drink lots and lots of water!
7) When going out to eat, look up the menu AHEAD of time and look up nutrition on items and pick what I want. This will eliminate cravings at the restaurant.
Enjoy the journey!
In the beginning 2009 my goal was to just wear single digit sizes. I accomplished that and more by going from size 14 to size 4.
I have now maintained my goal for over two years and my focus is to be an example to help others reach their goals.
Cardio 4-5 days a week, including 3-4 days of running. I'll cross train by doing a Spin Class or another cardio machine.
Strength Train 3-4 days a week doing split body workouts.
During the winter/spring I love to run. During the summer/early fall I love to focus on building muscle so I become a gym rat. Then come late fall, running season again!
Eat Clean 90% of the time.
I'm 42 and live in a suburb of Tampa. Married to a wonderful man for 20 yrs, no kids.
I am a Spiritual Coach for anyone who is seeking truth from Yahweh's Word the Bible. I am always a student of His Word as well.
I work for myself helping others with finances. (www.primerica.com/tiapettygrue), and I love life!!!
My spiritual life is the most important to me. I worship the almighty God Yahweh and am thankful and blessed his son Yahshua died for our sins.
I love reading the Bible while doing cardio!