Mythbusters did a show on Coke. Its probably on you tube if anyone is interested.
Fitness Minutes: (66,439)
1,906 8/13/13 11:37 A
Had smile after reading the original post because my dad always said they used to used coke to clean road gunk off windshields and lights.
I prefer water, use seltzer to get my fizz but occasionally enjoy a diet coke or other diet soda..
Everyone needs to remember that our stomach acids which are designed to digest foods in much less than 2 days, are more acidic than phosphoric acid. The ph of coke is 2.5, our stomach acid ph is 1.8-2.
As others here have said, it isn't the acid in coke or any other soda that is important. The problem is substituting high sugar beverages of any kind for water and more nutrition rich beverages such as low fat milk and fruit juice. Even fruit juice in excess can contribute to the intake of too much sugar and calories.
Jenni. We used it to loosen rusty lugnuts on our cars as teenagers. I don't believe it will dissolve a steak, but it does eat off rust, and might work on the toilet, if you run out of cleaners.
I don't think we need to prove Coke is any more dangerous than we already know it to be. Diabetes is becoming common among teenagers now, and heart disease, and cancer are on the rise as we consume more sugar every year. That's scary enough, without it having the ability to dissolve things, like nails..lol.
If kidney dialysis, or cancer doesn't scare you, a steak dissolving, even in 2 days, probably wouldn't concern you anyways.
Fitness Minutes: (82,981)
2,489 8/13/13 10:41 A
It's sad but although I knew staying hydrated (with water) is important. I really didn't know some of these facts about dehydration. So thanks for the info! Good to know. I do drink a ton of water already. I just didn't know all the reasons why. Especially about how even mild dehydration can slow down the metabolism by 30%.
I'm one of the lucky ones who never developed a taste for well, any type of pop. I just don't like it and never have. The only times I've ever drank it is when there was absolutely nothing else available and I was really thirsty, mostly when I was a kid. I probably haven't even tasted the stuff in 5-10 years. But I didn't know it could be so useful for things aside from drinking it. ;) Maybe I'll start buying a litre to clean my toilet bowl.
ETA: Just read the other posts about most of it being urban legends. Oh well, still glad I don't drink the stuff.
Edited by: JENNILACEY at: 8/13/2013 (10:43)
Fitness Minutes: (14,252)
9,689 8/13/13 10:26 A
At least remove the reshare nonsense when you copy facebook posts over here.
This is mostly urban legend. While coke isn't great for you, and water is undeniably better, a glass of coke now and again won't hurt you. Moderation is key.
However, while it may not corrode nails etc. etc., there's no denying that is has absolutely NO redeeming nutritional value, just a big cup full of empty calories garnished with artificial flavours and colourings. Blech.
Fitness Minutes: (50,305)
2,306 8/12/13 5:53 P
Great post!! : )
Fitness Minutes: (120)
10 8/12/13 5:50 P
Water or Coke? We all know that water is important but I’ve never seen it written like this before. and REMEMBER if you "SHARE" this post it will SAVE on your personal page so you can refer to it later.
WATER 1. 75% of Americans are chronically dehydrated.
2. In 37% of Americans, the thirst mechanism is so weak that it is often mistaken for hunger.
3. Even MILD dehydration will slow down one’s metabolism as much as 30%.
4. One glass of water will shut down midnight hunger pangs for almost 100% of the dieters studied in a University of Washington study.
5. Lack of water, the #1 trigger of daytime fatigue.
6. Preliminary research indicates that 8-10 glasses of water a day could significantly ease back and joint pain for up to 80% of sufferers.
7. A mere 2% drop in body water can trigger fuzzy short-term memory, trouble with basic math, and difficulty focusing on the computer screen or on a printed page.
8. Drinking 5 glasses of water daily decreases the risk of colon cancer by 45%, plus it can slash the risk of breast cancer by 79%, and one is 50% less likely to develop bladder cancer.
And now for the properties of COKE
1. In many states (in the USA) the highway patrol carries two gallons of Coke in the truck to remove blood from the highway after a car accident.
2. You can put a T-bone steak in a bowl of coke and it will be gone in two days.
3. To clean a toilet: Pour a can of Coca-Cola into the toilet bowl and let the “real thing” sit for one hour, then flush clean. The citric acid in Coke removes stains from vitreous china.
4. To remove rust spots from chrome car bumpers: Rub the bumper with a rumpled-up piece of aluminum foil dipped in Coca-Cola.
5. To clean corrosion from car battery terminals: Pour a can of Coca-Cola over the terminals to bubble away the corrosion.
6. To loosen a rusted bolt: Applying a cloth soaked in Coca-Cola to the rusted bolt for several minutes.
7. To remove grease from clothes: Empty a can of coke into a load of greasy clothes, add detergent, and run through a regular cycle. The Coca-Cola will help loosen grease stains. It will also clean road haze from your windshield.
1. The active ingredient in Coke is phosphoric acid. Its pH is 2.8. It will dissolve a nail in about 4 days. Phosphoric acid also leaches calcium from bones and is a major contributor to the rising increase in osteoporosis.
2. To carry Coca-Cola syrup (the concentrate) the commercial truck must use the Hazardous material place cards reserved for Highly corrosive materials.
3. The distributors of coke have been using it to clean the engines of their trucks for about 20 years!
Now the question is, would you like a glass of water or coke?
SparkPeople, SparkCoach, SparkPages, SparkPoints, SparkDiet, SparkAmerica, SparkRecipes, DailySpark, and other marks are trademarks of SparkPeople, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
SPARKPEOPLE is a registered trademark of SparkPeople, Inc. in the United States, European Union, Canada, and Australia. All rights reserved.