Fitness Minutes: (85)
2/6/12 9:34 A
Thanks guys some of your suggestions really help to get me started. To the mailbox it is!
Fitness Minutes: (112,042)
46,222 2/5/12 5:32 P
What has your doctor said? If you have not been cleared by your doctor, you may want to talk with him/her first. Your doctor is in the best position to offer advice and suggestions based on your fitness assessment at this point in your life.
Honestly, if you struggle to make it to your mailbox now, one of the best ways to build up the strength and capability is to walk what you CAN do and just keep trying.
Get up 2-3 times a day, hours apart, and walk to your mailbox and back. Within a week you'll probably find you can walk further than that.
Other than that, there are heaps of things you can do at home to build up some strength in your legs and ankles...
- While sitting, put a foot out in front of you and 'write the alphabet in the air' with your big toe. Now put it down and use the other foot to do the same.
- While brushing your teeth, stand up on tippy toe and then back down to normal 10-12 times.
- Use the back of a dining chair for balance and support and do calf raises (that tippy toe thing) and leg raises (lift a leg up to 90 degrees at your knee and hip, then do the other leg).
- Get a rubber workout band, loop it around your foot at just below your toes, and a fixed object beside you. Angle your foot away from the object - alternate both directions so you do one set of pointing your toe at the other foot, then switch to the other side of the fixed object and with the same foot do one set of pointing your toe away from your other foot).
- Do squats while washing the dishes or preparing dinner.
- If you watch a lot of TV, stand up every ad break. Just stand up, stay there, and don't sit until the ad break is over. It may not sound like much, but if you get 4 ad breaks an hour that's 4 more squats than you were doing before! :)
You can Google "chair workouts", and I believe Coach Nicole has some chair videos as well. Try doing a few bodyweight squats, or just walking as far as you can every day. If the mailbox is really it, walk to the mailbox and back every day. After a week, walk past the mail box and back. Eventually, you'll be able to walk around the block!
I am 5'4". Starting Weight (4.6.11) 164.6 First Goal 130 - Reached September 2011 Currently maintaining under 120 and working on changing my mental image of myself!
Fitness Minutes: (85)
2/5/12 4:07 P
I am very overweight and quite weak,esp legs and ankles. I would like to know some exercises to strengthen my legs and core enough to walk futher than the mailbox. Any ideas?
SparkPeople, SparkCoach, SparkPages, SparkPoints, SparkDiet, SparkAmerica, SparkRecipes, DailySpark, and other marks are trademarks of SparkPeople, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
SPARKPEOPLE is a registered trademark of SparkPeople, Inc. in the United States, European Union, Canada, and Australia. All rights reserved.