Author: Sorting Last Post on Top Message:
ARCHIMEDESII SparkPoints: (197,072)
Fitness Minutes: (294,223)
Posts: 27,070
3/8/13 4:04 P


When is the last time you had a physical ? If you haven't had one in a long time and you feel you're an emotional eater, you might want to talk to your doctor. Your doctor could refer you to a dietitian or a therapist.

Here's the thing, if you want to be healthy, not only do you have to take care of your body, you have to take care of your psyche too. Because if your head has issues, the rest of your body will have issues too. You may want to consider a therapist if you're having emotional issues. Because your problems may not be with food. You may be turning to food for comfort. If so, you have to get your head straight first.

Which is why you should start with your doctor. Let them know what's going on and they'll determine whether you need a dietitian or a therapist.

SLIMMERKIWI SparkPoints: (246,897)
Fitness Minutes: (41,372)
Posts: 26,785
3/8/13 2:51 P

A Dietitian is great on the nutrition front. Mine has also turned into a therapist for a full 1/2hr appointment that turned into a 3/4hr one, on one occasion - LOL!

Perhaps talking with your Dr and asking for a referral to a registered Dietitian AND a Therapist will help you most on both fronts. That way you can deal with the stuff in your life as well as the nutrition issues, and the DO often go hand-in-hand. The Therapist would be great for teaching you good relaxation techniques, how to let go, and how to deal with the problems that you can't avoid.

To be noted: Therapists don't just deal with those suffering from depression.

Good luck,


CALENSARIEL SparkPoints: (35,130)
Fitness Minutes: (523)
Posts: 1,589
3/8/13 1:09 P

A nutritionist was very helpful for me. But I still felt like I wasn't handling emotional eating well. I read everything I could find about it on here, and it's getting better. But if you feel like you need to see someone, don't wait and end up undoing all the hard work you've done. In the meantime, every time you have an emotional reaction to something and you use food to comfort yourself. Write about it in a journal. I sometimes think it's that not acknowledging those kinds of food issues that gives them power over us.

SP_COACH_NANCY SparkPoints: (0)
Fitness Minutes: (112,042)
Posts: 46,222
3/8/13 12:52 P


I think a Registered Dietitian would be a great starting point. Not only will he/she help you to learn the habits of healthy eating, but healthy living, too.

Coach Nancy

AYRIKA12 SparkPoints: (6,463)
Fitness Minutes: (7,694)
Posts: 132
3/8/13 12:48 P

Hello, I need to lose weight (and I have lost some), but I think part of my problem is stress and other emotional issues. I think I would like to speak to someone, but who? A dietician? A psychiastrist? A therapist? Thank you for any help you can give me. I don't have depression or any other mental issue...

Page: 1 of (1)  

Other Panic! Button for Immediate Help Topics:

Topics: Last Post:
What can I say to cardiologist next week when 9/24/2015 7:56:44 PM
Appetite out of control 3/27/2015 6:08:49 PM
It's just too hard! 3/11/2015 1:46:28 PM
Bloating 4/30/2015 8:12:48 PM
sweets are egging me on... 5/9/2016 12:05:46 PM