Author: Sorting Last Post on Top Message:
SLIMMERKIWI Posts: 26,040
4/3/13 6:15 A

It sounds like you have thought things through! I can tell you that where it comes to have help via Therapy, there is nothing to be afraid of. I have had significant input from Psychologists (for non-eating issues) and can tell you that not only do they help sort our emotions etc. out, but also often become like friends.


PIXI_ELF SparkPoints: (5,529)
Fitness Minutes: (7,547)
Posts: 58
4/3/13 5:15 A

Thanks for all the encouragement. I have booked an appointment with my GP for my physical issues which have been bought on by my binging. Hopefully she will be able to refer me to someone who can help me work through this but I am totally petrified!

As for telling my husband...I know I should tell him but he is the kind of person who doesn't believe that anyone can have an issue like this. I feel it would be easier for me to first get an official diagnosis and then discuss it with him. If I told him now, he would just say I was being overly silly and without meaning to, he will make me feel like my problem is purely in my head.

Don't get me wrong, my husband is a loving and caring man and will be supportive of me once he understands the extent of my problem and my embarrassment of it all. But getting him to understand that this is a problem will be easier faced with a third party helping.

SLIMMERKIWI Posts: 26,040
4/2/13 9:12 P

I think it was very brave of you to come here and to share!!!

I don't know the in's and out's of your Medical laws, but would assume that the treating professionals don't have to tell the company your husband works for WHAT the patient is being treated for. Apart from that, is there any particular reason why you can't tell your husband, other than feeling embarrassed? It might be that he would be quite supportive of you - more than you realize, but you would have a better idea of that. If you feel that he won't be negative, perhaps it might be good to share with him your concerns, and what is happening, because once it is out in the open, it might be a huge weight off your shoulders. He may even suspect. Who pays for the groceries? Are there any wrappers around that he may have come across?

It may be that there is something medical going on which is contributing to your binging. Your Dr really is the best place to start the medical/emotional side of things. Also, if you have emotional baggage (some people don't realize it) it is better to have it addressed now rather than letting it continue and possible increase.

Good luck,

ARCHIMEDESII SparkPoints: (190,544)
Fitness Minutes: (282,793)
Posts: 26,509
4/2/13 1:03 P


That was an incredibly brave post that took a lot of courage. I know it's difficult to ask for help, but you really have taken the first step towards getting the help you need.

One thing you might consider doing is making an appointment with your doctor to have a full physical. When you're in for your physical, you can discuss your binge eating with them. Your doctor can refer you to a good therapist who treats people with eating disorders. And when you think the time is right, you can ask your husband to join you at your doctor's. You might find it easier to talk about your binge eating with your doctor there to explain anything to your husband.

Don't be afraid to talk to your doctor. they are there to help you.


FEDGIRL4 Posts: 2,168
4/2/13 10:53 A

It is before asking for help, but you've taken the first step. The first step in OA or AA is "We admitted we were powerless over "XXX" and that our lives had become unmanageable. When you have to hide it or it takes over even things you like doing, it is time for help.

OA is more open to your own will power. I would suggest Food Addicts or FA. They are much more strict. That being said, if you feel the need to hide it from your hubby, I would look at that first. FA requires meetings and calling your sponsor at least once a day.

SIMPLELIFE2 Posts: 707
4/2/13 10:31 A

The fact that you openly admitted it and believe you need help means it is time and you are ready to get help.

I'm not sure why you have to go through your husband at first. Are you on his insurance? Do you have your own insurance card? Most insurance companies have online sites that list all of the preferred providers. Can you start with your family doctor and get a referral? Can you call the human resources office at his company to get the insurance information? Because of health privacy laws, nobody can tell your husband without you signing off on a written consent form. My dad has Alzheimer's and we couldn't discuss his condition with his doctors until we had that HIPPA form on file.

However, just like any addict, you cannot hide your issue in shame and fear as it just feeds it. I personally don't think you can fully recover until your husband and others closest to you know your secret.

Please seize this moment to get professional help and don't let fear or other obstacles stand in your way. If you are experiencing medical issues now, time is of the essence. Think of your two young children. You need to be healthy for yourself, but they are counting on you as well. Please check in when you see a professional and let us know how you are doing.

SP_COACH_NANCY SparkPoints: (0)
Fitness Minutes: (112,042)
Posts: 46,222
4/2/13 8:45 A

Hi Pixi,

Thank you for sharing your story with us. That took a lot of courage. There are some problems that are so deep that require professional intervention as the issues are far outside the scope of advice that any of our members or experts can offer advice on. Below is a link to an article Coach Dean wrote regarding disordered eating and places you can turn to for help. I hope you will take some time to read through this article. Take care!

Coach Nancy

JESSICAMONT32 SparkPoints: (0)
Fitness Minutes: (15,887)
Posts: 273
4/2/13 8:35 A

OH Pixi,

I feel the pain you must be going through. I too have a a binge eating disorder and just coming off of four days of intense binging. I too hide food and hide it from my husband. Though for me it does show up on the weight. I encourage you with everything that i have to seek that treatment, tell your husband, he may just be surprisingly supportive. Do you have a primary care doctor? they may be able to stere you in the right direction.

Binge eating is a horrible thing to have to live with. i curse it everyday. i pray everyday that i will find a way to be able to stop because food and excerise is always on my mind. if you ever want to chat feel free to PM me on here. I too have a small child...she is three. The first step is realizing there is a problem. good luck, let us know how everything is going....

MISSRUTH Posts: 4,172
4/2/13 8:12 A

Well. Sometimes it seems to me that usually the time to admit a person needs help, comes before that person is maybe ready to actually admit it. So I think since you've recognized that this is a problem and you can't handle it on your own..... it's time for some help.

Ideally, professional help from someone specifically trained in eating disorders would be it. You could go see your regular doctor and enlist their help with figuring out what y'all's insurance covers. Many times, the doctor's office person/s who handle the insurance stuff and referrals etc, are already familiar with how, say, Cigna handles referrals to psychologists or whatever.

That still might not help you out with keeping this from your husband, as you'd be needing to go to appointments and there might be co-pays etc so he'd wonder what the money was used for. I don't know if it's a good idea to try to keep this from him. He *might* be supportive and helpful to you?

As a last resort before telling your husband, I reckon would be finding an online support group. I haven't looked, but I'll bet there are Spark Teams for binge eaters. And I'm sure there is OA info, and other binge eating groups, online as well. You *could* try one of those options for say, a month. And if that doesn't work, then tell your husband and go after some professional help.

PIXI_ELF SparkPoints: (5,529)
Fitness Minutes: (7,547)
Posts: 58
4/2/13 7:58 A

Well long story short, I believe I suffer with binge eating disorder (BED). I binge about 4 days a week (about 3000 to 5000 calories) but do not purge any of it. I hide my binging from everyone and even buy separate sweets and treats which I hide around the house. In public, I seem to be a healthy and fairly fit person (I am by no means overweight anymore and a run regularly).

Anyway I have realised I have a problem but I cannot even admit this to my own husband let alone anyone else. I have been trying to deal with it all on my own but I am now seeing that this is not possible :( I made it 2 days and have started binging again today...

I feel I need psychological help but in order to get it, I would have to tell my husband as all the medical services is through his company and I have absolutely NO idea how to contact a psychologist.

I know I need help because my binging is now creating physical affects on my body (medical issues not weight gain)...

Telling my husband is kind of my absolute last option (please just trust me on this). I have looked at OA nearby but all meetings are in the evening and with 2 young kids, it is almost impossible for me to attend.

Any advice or even moral support will help!

Page: 1 of (1)  

Other Panic! Button for Immediate Help Topics:

Topics: Last Post:
Would you talk to an ex if they owed you money? 3/14/2015 8:20:10 AM
Help! Ate at Chick-Fil-A 8/31/2015 11:03:07 PM
How do I report a user for harassment? 7/28/2016 9:45:57 PM
Pretty Sure My Body Is Weird 10/16/2016 4:41:05 PM
Binging in the evenings 11/14/2015 6:57:04 PM