For me its chips, the regular unhealthy kind in moderation. If its potato chips, mini bags do help, baked lays are weird tasting to me and pricy when not on sale. If its tortilla chips, its in moderation with a healthy dip like hummus or salsa. I have thought about making my own and the search for a recipe is still going on. Other than that, lower fat crackers might be a good option, not the healthiest but they work well for me.
I echo the popcorn or veggie chips. I'll do single serve Pringles or other chips every once in awhile.
Fitness Minutes: (4,610)
3/23/13 6:42 P
make your own chips. i did this the other day and they turned out great. i sliced up a potato very thin and tossed it in a little olive oil and seasonings. i microwaved the slices until they were crispy. they were really good and crunchy! it was hard to believe they were made in the microwave.
When I first got started 125 lbs and 6 years ago, I had to tackle my habit of getting home from work, taking my dog for a walk, then sitting on the sofa with a bag of Doritos or Cheetos that I would eat out of till I no longer wanted any - then I'd have dinner a couple of hours later. So when I joined WW, I didn't try to switch from the "good stuff" to carrots right away. I started with baked potato chips and French onion dip. I would measure out enough to satisfy that desire to have a big snack (8 ww pts at the time). Then after a while, I transitioned to pretzels and french onion dip, then carrots and dip, then popcorn. Now I no longer have to have that snack. Sometimes you have to take baby steps from junky food to healthy food.
3/22/13 3:47 P
Maybe not what you're looking for, but I eat chopped cabbage or cauliflower as my "chip" when I make a homemade salsa or a bean dip.
Fitness Minutes: (50,849)
3/22/13 2:39 P
Thanks Everyone great ideas!
3/22/13 2:17 P
I found Snikiddy Snacks recently at our wholesale club and my kids LOVE these as a chip replacement, and the nutrition label is a-okay with me when they're skipping the chips!
3/22/13 1:08 P
Ditto to what MUSCATDBQ just said. I have never found a substitute for chips, never. I get the little portion controlled bags and they satisfy me enough so that I don't go on an all out chip binge later. I don't deprive myself of anything. I just make sure 80% of my diet is healthy, and I splurge on what I'm hungry for the other 20%. It works as long as I keep my calorie limit under control.
Fitness Minutes: (1,751)
3/22/13 12:59 P
The single serving bags of real chips really aren't THAT bad calorie wise, as long as you can stop at one bag (or only buy one at a time lol). I also like popcorn and homemade tortilla chips (bake some cut up corn tortillas) but when I want chips, I want chips, not substitutes. So, I go with the single serving bag and move on. :-)
Fitness Minutes: (34,249)
260 3/22/13 12:50 P
I like to have baby carrots or pepper strips with a 100-calorie pack of guacomole (Wholly Guacamole makes them). Salsa and hummus are good, too.
3/22/13 12:39 P
Chips are my #1 junk food favorite, but I've found air-popped popcorn to be the best swap. It's like 30 calories per cup and there's fiber in it! There are different toppings to put on it to still keep it healthy. Air-popping is so much better for you than the microwave bags...and air poppers cost about $20 at a Target or Walmart.
My favorite topping is melted peanut butter stirred alllllllll around. I find 3-4 cups and a tbsp of peanut butter to be the perfect snack when I want that 'salty' snack. Oh, and I do NOT keep chips in my house. Ever! I eat some at my parents house when I visit every weekend. :)
Air-blown popcorn with a bit of salt might do the trick. Raw, crunchy veggies will give you the crunch but not satisfy you in the same way. Kale chips can be baked yourself and you can season with curry, cajun spices or whatever spices you like. Baked lays aren't too bad but they certainly aren't natural or healthy per se.
Bottom line, every once in a while, you might just need a few "real" chips. Portion control becomes your best friend. Maybe start by tracking them, to see if it's worth the caloric sacrifice!
Edited by: DAINALYNN at: 3/22/2013 (13:13)
3/22/13 12:38 P
My spouse eats pickles. He's a chip-a-holic, trying to break the habit, and finds that dill pickles do the trick. The problem with this substitution is SODIUM (pickles are so high!!) but... that's a battle for another day.
Fitness Minutes: (50,849)
3/22/13 12:32 P
Does anyone know a healthier option to eat when you are craving chips, i have found a way to calm the sweet tooth but what about the salty crunchy tooth : )...Help please ! LOL
SparkPeople, SparkCoach, SparkPages, SparkPoints, SparkDiet, SparkAmerica, SparkRecipes, DailySpark, and other marks are trademarks of SparkPeople, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
SPARKPEOPLE is a registered trademark of SparkPeople, Inc. in the United States, European Union, Canada, and Australia. All rights reserved.