Advertisement -- Learn more about ads on this site.

 
Message Boards
FORUM:   SparkPeople Cafe
TOPIC:  

Obesity myths, from the New Journal England of Med



 
 
Search the
Message Boards:
Search
      Share
Advertisement -- Learn more about ads on this site.

Author: Message: Sort First Post on Top


SASSYBRUN
Posts: 191
3/19/13 1:06 P

Well that's a binge lol. I've had a couple lately, but not so bad. AND for a bit after the binge I'd feel bad, defeated. But, now I'm happy they did happen as now I know it's ok to move on, the binges don't threaten my overall weight loss effort. Love that insight! (Yes I read it before, np but it didnt sink in until recently).



TURTLESDOVE
Posts: 1,061
3/19/13 1:01 P

I was on the restricted eating plan once, and I went so long without eating what I wanted, that one day I caved and went to La Parilla and had a large coke, chimichanga dinner, rice, and lots of chips and cheese dip. Then I went home and ate 3 little debbie snack cakes. I was eating like someone was gonna take it away from me. I can't do deprivation diets anymore.



PATTIJOHNSON
Posts: 2,074
3/19/13 12:32 P

I don't disagree. I think that exercise is an important key to losing and maintaining a healthy weight. All too often, though, I've seen people (including myself) try to get into a strenuous exercise routine to lose weight (from having done no exercise prior) and end up giving up quickly. And not only have I found myself giving up the gym routine, but then I just throw the hat in on the diet too! The result comes from setting expectations too high. So, in that sense, a slow, smaller-goal oriented plan may work better for some.



TURTLESDOVE
Posts: 1,061
3/19/13 12:28 P

Patti, that is my rule, too. After all of these million dollar seller diet books and guru's on t.v, what do they all have in common? Eat less and/or move more. The common denominator is calories.



SASSYBRUN
Posts: 191
3/19/13 12:20 P

@Patti
I've read through many sources, but in particular the Mayo Clinic website, that diet (calories in and out) is the most important thing for weight loss (of course exercise helps).

On the flip side, exercise is key to maintenance.

I read and read, I need to DO! Lol



PATTIJOHNSON
Posts: 2,074
3/19/13 12:14 P

With me, I've found that no matter how fast or slow I lose the weight, I feel better and better, making it easier to be more active. That is why I don't worry too much about initially getting into a boot-camp type of exercise program when I start losing weight. The exercise and ease of moving comes naturally with a lower weight. I think there's too much stigma put on the science of losing weight.

My only rule that works it for me is: Calories in minus calories burned either causes weight loss or weight gain.



KJFITNESSDUDE
Posts: 15,778
3/19/13 11:52 A

Cool, I lost my intial 65lbs within a few short months then pretty much kept it off for the longest time, now I know why!?
emoticon
Winning!



ZENANDNOW
SparkPoints: (32,504)
Fitness Minutes: (2,138)
Posts: 2,344
3/19/13 10:02 A

I agree. I've been losing weight rapidly since November 2012, and it seems to be working for me. I'm not nearly as hungry as I thought I would be. I'm not constantly hungry throughout the day either, since I eat something for each meal.

Of course, I maintain my daily calorie range and other nutrient ranges, and I take vitamins/supplements for the nutrients that I may be missing by being on a rather restrictive "diet".



TURTLESDOVE
Posts: 1,061
3/19/13 9:22 A

I think they've busted just about every myth out there about weight loss. The ole "don't eat after 8" and "eat several mini meals throughout the day". All of that crap is a bunch of hogwash. What matters is overall calorie intake. I've had my full on listening to stuff like that. I eat 80% healthy and splurge on goodies the other 20% every day. I would be in misery to not be allowed to eat what I crave. I just stay in my calorie range and all is good.



JO88BAKO
SparkPoints: (151,458)
Fitness Minutes: (92,300)
Posts: 6,721
3/18/13 11:05 P

Interesting. Thanks



SASSYBRUN
Posts: 191
3/18/13 9:58 P

My fave is that:

Slow, gradual weight loss offers better long-term results than rapid weight loss is a MYTH. Again, this sounds sensible, but studies have shown that faster and greater weight loss at the beginning of a program is associated with lower weight at the end of long-term follow-up.

Here's a link to a summary of the article(small intro on breast cancer, gets to the real stuff fast):

http://www.breastcancer.org/research-new
s/20130207





 
Page: 1 of (1)  
Search  



Share


 
Diet Resources: ginkgo tea | ginkgo plus | ginkgo nuts