Fitness Minutes: (15,312)
2,457 12/26/12 5:08 A
WELCOME TO SPARK!!!
Congrats on taking the first step into changing your life to a healthier one by joining the site. Spark is filled with amazing people that will motivate, support and encourage you on your journey. There is so much to learn and discover here, take this one day at a time.
A few things I would like to suggestion to make you Spark experience a great one.
1. Put together your own Spark page. This is a great way to communicate with other members and build relationships that will support and motivate you. You can do this by going to the START page and the green section has something about your Sparkpage.
2. Make goals for yourself. Each month I make a list of what I want to accomplish that month and break them down to smaller goals to work with week by week. This way the BIG picture doesn't seem so big.
3. Join Spark teams. There are tons of teams here and you will be able to find ones that fit to what you like or want in a team.
4. Log everything that you eat on the site! You can use the meal plans that Spark People provides or at least you can use them as a guide for what you should eat each day to be healthy.
5. Move! Walk the dog or a neighbors' dog. Walk for at least a mile each day just to get your body moving. You can map your route under the Fitness tracker so you can learn how far you have walked and how many calories you burned. There are also a ton of free exercise videos on here that you can use to move your body under the Healthy Lifestyle tab.
The key to success here is to be active and you've already started by joining. You will find that everyone is willing to help you out if you need it. Spark friends are here for support, motivation and encouragement. Good luck on your journey to a healthier lifestyle! Again, welcome to the SP family!
*~ Denise *~
Fitness Minutes: (291)
1 12/26/12 3:13 A
Hi everyone -
The day after christimas -- starting a new lease on life. I'm a sugar addict who has reached a moment of desperation. I've gained between 40-50 pounds over the last 18 months, and my addiction to sugar has only continued to get stronger over the last year plus.
I've always had a sweet tooth, but sometimes the control it has over me is amazing. I've read so many articles about the similarities of sugar addiction with heroin addiction -- the fact that the sugar affects the same pleasure sensors in the brain as heroin and morphine.
Tomorrow, I start (almost) sugar-free, at least of refined sugars and overall sweet meals/beverages. I'm heading to the doctor to get some blood work taken, and will start a new me tomorrow.
I use to weigh 380 pounds, then 12 years ago i lost 169 pounds over 18 months... somehow i need to find that discipline i use to have, since i've now bounced back up to 285.
wish me luck! Any tips you have for me would be great.
SparkPeople, SparkCoach, SparkPages, SparkPoints, SparkDiet, SparkAmerica, SparkRecipes, DailySpark, and other marks are trademarks of SparkPeople, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
SPARKPEOPLE is a registered trademark of SparkPeople, Inc. in the United States, European Union, Canada, and Australia. All rights reserved.