Cauliflower "Mashed Potatoes" Source: Chef Franklin Becker
Ingredients: 1 head of cauliflower 1 clove of garlic 1 leek, white only, split in 4 pieces 1 tbsp. Butter 1 tbsp Butter Substitute (Butter Buds or the like) Pepper to taste-if you are not salt sensitive, you may add some salt.
Instructions: 1. Cut up the cauliflower into small segments.
2. Steam the cauliflower, garlic and sliced leek till completely tender, approximately 20 - 30 minutes.
3. While still hot, puree the mixture in a food processor till it resembles potatoes.
4. For a smoother texture, the blender can be used afterward.
5. Add a little water if the mixture seems to dry.
6. If you are not salt sensitive, you may season with salt and white pepper to taste and add the butter to round out the flavor and texture.
A great recipe for mashed potatoes without the carbs,
Nutritional Information: Nutrients per Serving: Calories 82 (32% of calories from fat), Total Fat 3g, Protein 3g, Carbohydrate 12g, Cholesterol 8mg, Sodium 130mg, Dietary Fiber 4g, Saturated Fat 2g, Calcium 47mg, Iron 1mg, Potassium 481mg, Vitamin A 160iu, Vitamin C 70mg
"Cooked cauliflower processed with sour cream. Garnish with grated cheese and fresh minced chives. This is a free sample recipe of our Quick-Smart(tm) premium recipe collection. The complete Premium Collection is available by subscription only."
Original recipe yield: 2 servings
INGREDIENTS 2 cups cauliflower, finely chopped 1 tablespoon sour cream, or more to taste 1 tablespoon butter salt and pepper to taste
DIRECTIONS Steam or microwave cauliflower until very soft. Put cauliflower in blender or food processor with butter and sour cream, blend. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot.
Editor's Notes Frozen cauliflower works very well.
Grated cheese, minced chives and/or parsley are nice variations to add. Hand mix these in after blending the cauliflower. ============================
�Mock� Garlic Mashed Potatoes Recipe courtesy George Stella
1 medium head cauliflower 1 tablespoon cream cheese, softened 1/4 cup grated Parmesan 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic 1/8 teaspoon straight chicken base or bullion (may substitute 1/2 teaspoon salt) 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh or dry chives, for garnish 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
Set a stockpot of water to boil over high heat.
Clean and cut cauliflower into small pieces. Cook in boiling water for about 6 minutes, or until well done. Drain well; do not let cool and pat cooked cauliflower very dry between several layers of paper towels.
In a bowl with an immersion blender, or in a food processor, puree the hot cauliflower with the cream cheese, Parmesan, garlic, chicken base, and pepper until almost smooth.
Garnish with chives, and serve hot with pats of butter.
Hint: Try roasting the garlic and adding a little fresh rosemary for a whole new taste.
1 head cauliflower 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese 2 Tablespoons olive oil 1 teaspoon dried oregano 1 teaspoon dried thyme 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste 1 teaspoon pepper, or to taste
1. Wash the cauliflower well (dirt can collect in hard-to-reach places). 2. Cut the cauliflower into pieces and place into a steamer basket in a pot over boiling water. 3. Steam cauliflower until a fork can easily glide into it-about 8 minutes. 4. Place the cauliflower into a bowl and crush with a potato masher until consistently mashed. 5. Add the Parmesan cheese, olive oil, oregano, and thyme. Stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. 6. Serve warm.
Serving Size: 1/2 cup Amounts Per Serving Calories 80, Calories from Fat 50, Total Fat 6g 9% , Saturated Fat 1g 5% . Trans Fat 0g, Cholesterol 5mg 1% , Sodium 470mg 19% , Total Carbohydrate 6g 2% , Dietary Fiber 3g 11%, Sugars 2g , Protein 3g , Vitamin A 0% , Calcium 6% , Vitamin C 70%, Iron 4%
SparkPeople, SparkCoach, SparkPages, SparkPoints, SparkDiet, SparkAmerica, SparkRecipes, DailySpark, and other marks are trademarks of SparkPeople, Inc. All Rights Reserved. No portion of this website can be used without the permission of SparkPeople or its authorized affiliates.
SPARKPEOPLE is a registered trademark of SparkPeople, Inc. in the United States, European Union, Canada, and Australia. All rights reserved.