sounds like a lot of fun. Outdoors it could be like a 'treasure hunt' and a great way to get people walking
Fitness Minutes: (11,285)
3/11/14 10:35 A
Never heard of this and am still not sure what it is.
Fitness Minutes: (47,423)
3/11/14 10:29 A
What makes letterboxing such a great activity for everyone?
1) It’s free; it’s nice to have an activity that you can do anytime, anywhere and for free.
2) It’s an outdoor activity… Though there are some boxes hidden in libraries and other public buildings which are fun for a cold or rainy day, most are hidden outside in parks, trails around town monuments, cemeteries, etc. so you can enjoy some fresh air and outdoor adventures.
*Note: Practice reading a map, following written directions (such as north, south, left, straight ahead, etc.) writing the date for log book entries and the box number or location that kind of thing, while remembering to write up a journal-style type entry of your adventure.
3) Learn something new about an area or the people who visit it. Many letterbox directions include historical anecdotes or tidbits related to the stamp. It’s also fun to look through the log books in the boxes, people write down where they are from and sometimes leave messages.
4) Accommodates all group sizes and ages (so your 5 year old will be entertained and so will your pre-teen- just look for the challenging boxes for these guys, maybe requiring compasses or clues to solve).
5) Takes up as little or as much time as you want/ need it to.
6) Its creative. (Letterboxers often design and make their own personal stamps and the stamps that they hide. You can get really fancy with coloring using brush tip markers to color in stamp’s prints.)
7) Its fun and there are always stories to tell afterwards.
8) Great activity for a trip to visit the grandparents! (Or if they can handle the excitement, bring them along on your adventure)
9) Grandparents take your grandchildren on an adventure
10) Its great exercise; this hobby gets you up off the couch and moving outdoors
SparkPeople, SparkCoach, SparkPages, SparkPoints, SparkDiet, SparkAmerica, SparkRecipes, DailySpark, and other marks are trademarks of SparkPeople, Inc. All Rights Reserved. No portion of this website can be used without the permission of SparkPeople or its authorized affiliates.
SPARKPEOPLE is a registered trademark of SparkPeople, Inc. in the United States, European Union, Canada, and Australia. All rights reserved.