Salt is 590 mg Na per 1/4 tsp. . Most people get close to 1500-2300 in their food, so they don't need salt of any kind. Even if your food has 0 mg Na, which is impossible, at most you would want 3/4 of a tsp.Hardly worth worrying about the kind of salt you use.
If you use any at all. I think you will find that you shouldn't be using any. I have to limit salt intake, and struggle to get around 1100-1500, with NO added salt. Salt is in everything already. Most people consume 3,500-5,000 mg a day, which is why we have so much hypertension.
"We can't solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them "
- Albert Einstein
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”
- Henry Ford
9/18/13 8:59 A
Pink salt and even sea salt are still basically just salt. There should be no difference in water retention. The only fancy salt we have is a smoke salt because it brings with it a nice extra bacon flavor to things.
I've used both. The pink salt is pretty on confections. I can't remember why I bought the Celtic salt; it's a big container, I still have it, and I rarely use it. It doesn't really seem to have any different results either in cooking or in the body.
If you're going to use salt, it's not a bad idea to stick with iodized table salt. Iodine deficiency was a horrendous public health issue that was almost completely wiped out in the developed world just by adding iodide to table salt, but because that treatment was so effective, people have forgotten that there was ever a problem, and it's starting to creep back in. It's incredibly hard to know whether you're getting enough iodine from food-- it depends on the soil where plants were grown.
You don't want to use table salt in pickles or in any liquid that you want to be super crystal clear. In regular cooking, though, I've never met anyone who could actually taste the difference, so there's no advantage to using something expensive and actually a bit less healthful.
These salts act the same in the body as traditional table salt. All are basically sodium chloride. Sodium should be limited to no more than 2300 mg for the healthy adult, and only 1500 milligrams for those with heart disease, renal issues, over age 50, high blood pressure, etc.
Becky SP Registered Dietitian
Fitness Minutes: (16,538)
103 7/6/13 4:13 P
I use the pink Himalayan salt, but only because I think the pink is fun. To be honest, salt is salt. Neither is going to have a different effect on your body than regular table salt because they are all essentially sodium chloride.
There are replacement salts that you can get that have a different chemical structure and are metabolized differently that you can use if you need the salt taste but are having trouble with it.
Look for AlsoSalt, LoSalt NoSalt etc. and it looks like Morton might make one. They are a Potassium chloride blend instead of sodium chloride. I have not actually tasted one though.
Fitness Minutes: (5,830)
3,106 7/6/13 3:56 P
Does anyone here have experience using either of these? Did you notice less water retention while using them?
"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." John 3:16
SparkPeople, SparkCoach, SparkPages, SparkPoints, SparkDiet, SparkAmerica, SparkRecipes, DailySpark, and other marks are trademarks of SparkPeople, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
SPARKPEOPLE is a registered trademark of SparkPeople, Inc. in the United States, European Union, Canada, and Australia. All rights reserved.