It wouldn't hurt the kids to not have M&Ms readily available to them if that would help you. Even if it's just for a period of time to help break the habit of reaching for the M&Ms. I have a big sweet tooth and having fun size servings of candy really does help; I have a fun size milky way or whatever and that satiates my sweet tooth.
Fitness Minutes: (0)
75 5/22/11 1:23 P
agree on buying individual packet sizes of m&m's. that way, you do not feel being deprived of food as you get to satisfy your sweet cravings, thus you avoid having yourself indulge into binge eating which is not good.
From now on buy those in the individual packet sizes. That way if you are truly wanting them (after trying water trick and delay tactics) you can just have 1 pack. It will be better for your kids too if they only eat 1 pack too so they can learn young about "portion control" and won't end up with portion distortion like us adults
Fitness Minutes: (2,214)
30 5/22/11 10:04 A
I will try the water idea- I can see how that might deter me.
I will throw them away and only get smaller "occassional" bags for the kids. I will tell my husband if he buys snacks for kids keep it to small kids sizes and leave me out of it :-)
Give the M&M's to someone else outside the house. The candies in my opinion shouldn't be "that" available to kids to begin with. It should be a treat. Then just buy one small bag to share or for each depending on their ages.
I avoid candy (fake chocolate) like M and M's by reading the ingredient list and realizing they are soooo not worth it! All those ingredients and colors added, gross! Get some individually wrapped real dark chocolate (like Green and Black brand) and have one when you are really craving something sweet and good ;)
The one thing that helps me stay away from the candy is to drink a glass of water first. I have a hard time drinking water and tend to crave chocolate. Water has helped. If after the water I still want some, I am able to have a bite or two in control.
Yes, you can just throw them away. Your kids eat them "occasionally," so make the next few weeks one of the occasions when they don't. Besides, whether you eat them or throw them away, the kids still aren't getting them.
So... If you can't throw them away because you have to have them for the kids, then you can't eat them either. If they belong to the kids, they belong to the kids, and eating them would be literally taking candy from your babies! If you can eat any of them, then they're NOT for the kids and you're lying to yourself about why you have them in the house in the first place.
Fitness Minutes: (2,214)
30 5/18/11 5:56 P
Tempted to go into the cabinet & grab the bag of M&M's.... came onto SP to keep me away from them.. and no I cannot just throw them away... my kids eat them occassionally so sweets are in the house. :-)
SparkPeople, SparkCoach, SparkPages, SparkPoints, SparkDiet, SparkAmerica, SparkRecipes, DailySpark, and other marks are trademarks of SparkPeople, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
SPARKPEOPLE is a registered trademark of SparkPeople, Inc. in the United States, European Union, Canada, and Australia. All rights reserved.