Author: Sorting Last Post on Top Message:
1/11/13 9:38 P

I am going to call and make an appointment to be seen and ask for the internal ultrasound and a hormone balances test. I have spent two days taking shepherds purse to stop the bleeding and last month it worked. But this month it isn't working. Thank you for the info.

BERKANA_T Posts: 138
1/10/13 2:05 P

First of all, you're not alone. At my worst, I bled continuously for three months, stopped for three days, and then bled for another couple months, etc, etc, etc. It went on like this for THREE YEARS and every single doctor I went to did a few blood tests, patted me on the head and told me it was normal for me, and offered to put me on birth control. I always felt like they were dismissing me because they thought I was lying about how much I was bleeding because my iron never dipped dangerously low. But during that whole time I craved iron rich foods like you wouldn't believe. It wasn't unusual for me to wake up in the middle of the night and cook myself a steak to try and alleviate the cravings.

What FINALLY got my doctor's attention was that I told her that I was going to punch the next doctor that did the blood work and then patted me on the head. She did the blood work. When she got the results she asked if I was serious about punching her if she said I was fine. I said yes. She sent me to a specialist.

End result, at the age of 26 I had endometrial cancer. It is NOT normal and NOT safe to bleed continuously for so long. I have PCOS, which seriously messed up my hormone balances, which is what caused all of my issues. There are other things that can cause hormone imbalances that can seriously mess with your menstrual cycles as well though and it's definitely a good idea to find out what the cause is.

One thing you may want to do, if you haven't already, is demand that they test your hormone balances. Repeatedly. Mine showed within normal ranges, but consistently at the low end of those normal ranges, and that's all it took. Remember, normal ranges are not "normal" for everyone, just for most people.

An internal ultrasound is what detected the initial changes in the endometrium for me. If you haven't had one, then you may want to request one. On women who are overweight a normal external ultrasound just isn't as effective as the internal. The internal is more uncomfortable and a little embarassing, but it's worth it.

You can go into the doctors and request that they do the tests. Tell them that you're not satisfied with being patted on the head and treated like a child. You want answers. You NEED answers.

DRAGONCHILDE SparkPoints: (61,289)
Fitness Minutes: (15,545)
Posts: 9,713
1/10/13 9:54 A

It's time to start yelling.

The fact of the matter is, some doctors can simply be dismissive. It's time to stop accepting the answers you've been getting, and started getting belligerent, loud, and demanding. Become one of *those* patients. Demand attention. Keep it simple, direct, and to the point:

"I have been bleeding for 45 days. This is not normal. I will not accept your dismissal of my concerns."

LOVE4KITTIES Posts: 4,690
1/10/13 9:34 A

I really like Anarie's suggestion of talking to your HR department (hopefully, you have one). They may actually be able to do something to help you get in to see a doctor who will do something for you.


JASI27 Posts: 855
1/10/13 8:32 A

A book you should check out is Master Your Metabolism by Jillian Michaels. It is all about balancing your homones and it really helped me out. Lots of great info.

AUDREYUK Posts: 631
1/10/13 4:46 A

I agree with everyone who suggested you find a Planned Parenthood. I got excellent exams there when I didn't have health insurance and I never had to wait more than a week to get an appointment.

Also, you might want to check out a website called Taking Charge of Your Fertility. You might get more answers there. Just post your question on the forum. I practically live on that site myself. (and no, I have no affiliation with them!)

Edited by: AUDREYUK at: 1/10/2013 (04:49)
ANARIE Posts: 13,179
1/9/13 7:24 P

Find a doctor who's interested in helping you. It shouldn't be hard-- if I were a doctor, I would FREAK OUT if a patient was bleeding for 45 days!

Once you've gotten the doctor, go to your HR department and say that you need that doctor added to the insurance, or you need an exemption of some sort to pay for an out-of-system doctor BECAUSE YOU'VE BEEN BLEEDING FOR 45 DAYS AND YOU CAN'T DO YOUR JOB! Just stay in the HR office until you get some help. It's their job to make sure employees have the resources they need to do their work, and nobody can work when they're sick to this extent.

1/9/13 7:06 P

Thanks everyone so much for the support.

I was on the IUD for almost 6 years. That started this horrible cycle.I would bleed soooooo much and for sooooo long it was insane. One time I was in a specialist office at Kaiser and when I stood up a lake of blood just flooded out and covered the floor and the bed i was sitting on. They rushed me down to the ER and blood was spilling every which way. It was the single most embarrassing and scary thing to ever happen to me. I had it removed as soon as my practitioner was able to. started birth control that day and became pregnant 3 months later. But right now I am on nothing. I am thinking about seeing if the 3 months loong birth control will work for me Thanks for the ideas!!!

DINAOREILLY SparkPoints: (69,178)
Fitness Minutes: (81,413)
Posts: 1,353
1/9/13 1:59 A

I decent Obgyn will be able to help. Please add an iron supplement to you diet now to protect against anemia. Hugs

CORTNEY-LEE SparkPoints: (67,852)
Fitness Minutes: (69,867)
Posts: 3,526
1/8/13 11:58 P

First, I am so sorry you have to go through this. I know how frustrating it can be to not have a medical professional listen to you. It is even more frustrating when you know something is wrong and they simply dismiss you.

Not to get too personal, but... are you using anything for birth control? The reason I ask is, you may want to look into birth control options as a way of controlling your monthly. For years, I took birth control pills continuously to avoid my monthly because if the pain. There are several options (the implant and IUD) that stop it entirely. This might be something to discuss with your OBGYN and GP and see what their thoughts are.

I wish you the best of luck!

DUKEFAN86 SparkPoints: (110,873)
Fitness Minutes: (80,813)
Posts: 1,450
1/8/13 11:56 P

I thought about birth control pills too as a possible option for helping control the flow and timing.

It sounds so frustration, but worth it to keep pushing for a solution! Your health is worth it. Hang in there, and keep us posted!

SANDYBREIT Posts: 1,151
1/8/13 11:48 P

Hi Jodi -- I have to agree that it sounds like some kind of hormonal imbalance. Although I've never had the problem from dieting and exercise, I had extremely heavy bleeding when I was perimenopausal (along with having very large fibroids), so I definitely understand what you mean about never being able to get far from a bathroom. It's not a very good way to live...

I think the key really is going to be for you to somehow find a doctor that will be of more help... it may be that BC pills would do the trick, or there are alternatives such as "endometrial ablation", kind of like cauterizing the lining of the uterus, that can help. Unfortunately, I don't have any very good ideas about HOW to find a doctor that will help you, I'm not having the best luck in finding a doctor I like, myself. It's an absolutely necessity anymore to be very proactive in getting answers that you're satisfied with. Write down your concerns and questions -- be as concise as possible, because the doctors have their own issues and are short of time -- and be pleasant but insistent on getting answers. If they don't have the answers, request a referral to a specialist. I wish you the very best and hope you will be able to get the help you need soon!


LOVE4KITTIES Posts: 4,690
1/8/13 11:11 P

It is so upsetting to have doctors be dismissive like that, blame everything on your weight and then just do nothing to help you. (((Hugs))) I've been through that so many times in the past. I went several years of having periods that were really heavy and then just kept getting longer and longer. I had one doctor (an ob/gyn) tell me that it was "fine" for me to have heavy periods for 10 days out of every 28. Well, I guess it was fine for him, but it definitely wasn't fine with me. He gave me regular birth control pills (21 days on, 7 days off). The next doctor did the same thing, just a different pill. But, my periods continued to start when I stopped the pill on day 22 and then continue on for another three or four or even five days after I started taking them again. The whole 21 days on and 7 days off thing wasn't working for me. Finally, I found a doctor who listened and who was decent enough to do something about the problem. He gave me birth control pills to take daily for 3 months at a time and then stop for one week. This solved the problem. He also was the doctor who finally cared enough to run an iron study and find out that I was iron deficient. Anyway, I know that there are other things that they can do or try to help women with heavy/long periods, depending on the exact cause, etc.

You may need to be more insistent with the doctors and turn into a real advocate for yourself. Tell them than you want the problem stopped/solved. Don't be afraid to ask them for what you want. Say, "I want..." If they refuse to help you, do they have a supervisor to whom you can complain? Can you file a complaint with your insurance?

Edited by: LOVE4KITTIES at: 1/9/2013 (03:21)
1/8/13 9:58 P

RACHEL2WRITER Thanks for the word of encouragement. I am very thankful for it.

As for the county clinic. That is were I go now the other option for me is a Kaiser and they wont take my insurance.

And finally for the what am I armed with. I have called them every month for months on end with exact dates and all I get is a appointment I go to were they wont do anything more than ask how I am feeling!?!? really I paid a copay to be asked a fing question. I have actually become so tired and mad that I told them what the hell do you think I fell I am bleeding as much as I was 24 hours ago nothing has changed!

Well I am hoping that after a few months it will get better. Thanks guys

DMJAKES Posts: 1,635
1/8/13 1:45 P

See if there is a county health department or any clinics nearby that work on a sliding scale and/or take insurance. When you go to see the doc, are you armed with actual dates, # of times you have to "change", etc? If your complaint is just to say they're "heavy and long", you might not be imparting enough information to get the doctor's ears to perk up, you know?

Don't give is out there you just have to be persistent.

1/8/13 12:45 P

I agree! Find a Planned Parenthood, ASAP. They provide many services...and your situation doesn't sound right at all to me.

ALLICIAC SparkPoints: (24,321)
Fitness Minutes: (6,253)
Posts: 146
1/8/13 12:41 P

Do you have a Planned Parenthood in your area? They usually take all kinds of insurance and you would be able to see a different Dr that might be able to help you out.

RACHEL2WRITER SparkPoints: (0)
Fitness Minutes: (1,594)
Posts: 102
1/8/13 12:38 P

Hi, Jodi - I've had a similar situation. When I started my new healthy nutrition and exercise program, I also started having really, really heavy cycles. After a few months, it seems to have stabilized. Changing your diet and exercise can correct hormonal imbalances. I suffered from very erratic periods and hormonal fluctuations for many years. I would sometimes go 3 or 4 months between periods, then either have one that lasted 3 days or one that lasted 3 weeks! Then, the next cycle would start a week later.

My gynocologist checked a bunch of things, but basically told me nothing was wrong.

After about 3 months of exercising regularly and eating healthy, the extra heavy cycles have gone away, and I have a more normal cycle.

I agree you should keep looking for a doc, and focus on your eating, then start very slowly increasing exercise.

**Edited to add: You're not alone! It's not normal to have to run to the bathroom every hour so you don't have leaks...I've done that many, many times. I also started seeing a naturopathic doc about 1 1/2 years ago - she tested all of my hormone levels and started me on vitamin D (a hormone) and really explained the hormonal imbalance tied to my hypothyroidism. She isn't on my insurance, but I'm willing to pay to see her because she actually seemed to get it. Try to search for a doc who specializes in hormonal imbalance maybe... Hang in there.

Edited by: RACHEL2WRITER at: 1/8/2013 (12:43)
1/8/13 12:35 P

It is when I reduce calories. I know your fat absorbs hormones and well if you burn fat those hormones must be released and I am pritty sure that might be the problem. The thing is for Years now I have tried to get help with the hormone thing and they tell me that is not my problem it is the weight. But the weight got out of control around the birth of my first child and has only gotten worse over time. especially with breast feeding. I was one of the weird woman who lost weight pregnant and gained breast feeding. I want so badly to both loose the wight and fix the menstrual problem but man they are so intertwined. I have over 200lbs to loose and god only knows at what point this problem will stop. I just wish I was not the only person with this problem thrown on their plate on top of the weight loss. I don't mean to sound selfish its just that I have no one who understands what it is like not only to make life changes but also constantly deal with being close enough to a bathroom so you dont find yourself embarrassed constant bleed throughs because the flow randomly picks up.

Sorry for the rambling.

CUDA440 SparkPoints: (84,887)
Fitness Minutes: (90,817)
Posts: 8,044
1/8/13 11:49 A

That really doesn't sound right BOTH the DR's attitude, and your actaul problem.
Is it only when you EXERCISE? or even if you try to change your eating habits? You can always at least start with changing your eating. ANd losing weight is 80% diet, 20% exercise.

I too hate insurance, and medical Dr.'s.

Sorry I am not much help. I have not had this issue.


1/8/13 11:39 A

Both the general practitioner only cares about anemia. The Gynecologist says to loose weight and neither hear a thing I tell them. I have tried to go to other doctors but I am limited by my insurance.


ITSABSURD SparkPoints: (18,393)
Fitness Minutes: (9,226)
Posts: 713
1/8/13 11:34 A

That definitely seems like something you should find another doctor for. Maybe call the doctor's in a surrounding town first, and let them know what your past doctors have said but that you still have concerns. Also, are you seeing a General Practitioner, or an Gynecologist?

1/8/13 11:22 A

I have tried in my general area the doctors who accept my medical insurance don't seem to care.

MANDIETERRIER1 Posts: 17,418
1/8/13 11:15 A

Could you go to a doctor in another town?

1/8/13 11:12 A

OK so I dont really know were to post this so this forum seemed like the most appropriate. Here goes. I have been With spark people many times over the years, And one of the biggest reasons is this one. Every time I start loosing weight I start menstruating. And I don't mean lightly. Like the flood gates open and they dont stop naturally. Doctors in my town are useless they will do nothing for me as long as I am not anemic. And even when I am not anemic after 45 days of heavy bleeding I am exhausted and sick and finally give up because when I stop weight loss the bleeding stops. I found a natural store in my area that gave me some tinctures that stops the bleeding but it starts again the next month. So I can take the tincture and stop it but is this normal? Has this happened to any one else. It is getting worse with time and the doctors here simply dont care. And I feel like a freak because I know of no one with the same problem and internet searches turned up nothing. Thanks

Jodi Hernandez

Page: 1 of (1)  

Other Diet and Nutrition Topics: