Advertisement -- Learn more about ads on this site.

 
Message Boards
FORUM:   Diet and Nutrition
TOPIC:  

Does your tongue tingle when you eat a grapefruit?



Click here to read our frequently asked Diet and Nutrition questions.

 
 
Search the
Message Boards:
Search
      Share
Advertisement -- Learn more about ads on this site.

Author: Message: Sort First Post on Top


WENDIBUGG
Posts: 655
6/16/13 2:37 P

that's never happened to me



BERRY4
SparkPoints: (133,053)
Fitness Minutes: (85,626)
Posts: 6,719
6/15/13 8:14 P

no - only if I eat too much pineapple (It has nothing to do w/ being allergic in the case of this particular fruit.)
http://www.worldhealth.net/news/bromelai
n_pineapple_enzyme/



ERICADURR
Posts: 241
6/15/13 5:07 P

Agree with the others--my tongue tingles when I eat peanuts--it's an allergy. :)



BUNNYKICKS
Posts: 2,267
6/15/13 8:58 A

I never cared to eat grapefruit cut in half with a spoon. Too hard to get it out! Plus the esthetics of it - the "look" just SCREAMED "diet deprivation food!" (because for so long a half-grapefruit for breakfast was pushed so hard as a "when you want to lose weight, eat this!" food (alongside cottage cheese and celery stix for lunch, baked plain chicken breast for dinner, and skim milk). All these foods I developed a real aversion to somewhere in my teens to early 20s.

I've mostly got over those aversions and will now accept and enjoy celery, cottage cheese, and grapefruit - the latter which I do actually prefer to peel like an orange BUT i don't like eating the membrane, so it is quite a messy job peeling it and getting the segments out of the membrane! So it's not something I delve into very often.



CMCOLE
Posts: 2,667
6/15/13 7:11 A

It's been a while since I had a grapefruit, but I usually peel and eat them like an orange.
I find it quite cumbersome to try and scoop them out of the rind with a spoon



FINDYOURWAY
SparkPoints: (5,958)
Fitness Minutes: (5,107)
Posts: 299
6/14/13 9:06 P

I find them really hard to peel. I prefer to peel and eat them like that, but I have a really hard time peeling them. Booo.



DRAGONCHILDE
SparkPoints: (56,306)
Fitness Minutes: (14,204)
Posts: 9,583
6/14/13 7:00 P

Be cautious with grapefruit! It's powerful stuff. I don't mean it's going to hurt you, but there are actually some (many, in fact!) medications that it interacts with, causing them to break down faster and potentially hurting you with higher concentrations of the medication than intended. If you're on any kind of medication, I strongly advise you to check with your pharmacist to see if grapefruit's (and a few other citrust fruits!) contraindicated or not.

www.mayoclinic.com/health/food-and-nutriti
on/AN00413


If you're not... well, enjoy it. :) It's healthy stuff. :)



ANARIE
Posts: 12,350
6/14/13 4:43 P

The tingle could also be from the oils in the peel. Citrus oil is pretty powerful; it can kill certain insects, and it's a great natural cat repellent. Lots of people put orange or grapefruit peels in their flower beds to keep the neighborhood kitties from using it as a litter box. If you have a cat, let him smell your fingers after you've eaten an orange and see how he reacts! Anyway, if you don't have any lasting effects, it's nothing to worry about. My tongue tingles after grapefruit, too, but I never even really noticed or thought much of it until you mentioned it.

I also peel grapefruit like an orange sometimes, but it's a lot of work to peel off the white pith. Nowadays I'm more likely to cut it in wedges and pull the sections off of the peel. I do that with oranges sometimes, too. Eating it with a spoon just seems to waste too much, IMO.



ELECTRA7D
SparkPoints: (3,750)
Fitness Minutes: (2,815)
Posts: 139
6/14/13 4:30 P

I peel the grapefruit and eat it like an orange too. I prefer it that way even though it's more trouble than using a spoon.

My mouth doesn't tingle when I eat grapefruit. I am allergic to pineapple and kiwi though...I get little cuts all over my mouth when I eat pineapple and my lips bleed when I eat kiwi. It's a shame because I love kiwi. I can eat cooked pineapple though.



LDHAWKE
SparkPoints: (19,069)
Fitness Minutes: (1,818)
Posts: 771
6/14/13 2:33 P

I used to peal grapefruit but don't anymore because it's too juicy (messy). Now I cut it in half and eat it with a spoon. I usually drizzle a little stevia on top because grapefruit is a little too tart for my taste.



JAZZTHEJAZZ
Posts: 197
6/14/13 2:01 P

Yup, sounds like you've got a mild allergy to grapefruit. That same thing happens to me with pineapple and kiwi.

I also peal and eat a grapefruit like an orange though! And without sugar. I never understood when my friends put sugar on their grapefruit (or strawberries).



MSWAN112
SparkPoints: (2,117)
Fitness Minutes: (226)
Posts: 34
6/14/13 1:30 P

My mouth tingles when I eat grapefruit, but that is because I am allergic and then I break out in hives.....not a fun feeling at all :(



AMANDANCES
Posts: 1,975
6/14/13 12:01 P

LOL -- I'm just curious. My tongue tingles, from the acid I guess. It's kind of a fun feeling.

Also, does anyone else on the planet actually peel and eat their grapefruits like an orange? My family always did this, and I never realized most people cut them in half and ate them with a spoon, in a bowl. :)



 
Page: 1 of (1)  
Search  



Share


 
Diet Resources: shin splints potassium | shin splints running | shin splints recovery time