Author: Sorting Last Post on Top Message:
MOTIVATED@LAST Posts: 14,782
6/19/14 6:48 A

Any good exercise program includes BOTH strength training and cardio.

While there is strong evidence that 30 minutes of cardio 3 times per week has significant heart health benefits, beyond that you are probably better off adding strength training to your routine, rather than aiming at doing only cardio every day.


The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
MLAN613 SparkPoints: (198,021)
Fitness Minutes: (183,170)
Posts: 12,419
6/17/14 2:21 P

Healthy living definitely boils down to making good nutrition choices (80%) and the rest (20%) is exercise. In other words, you can't out exercise lousy food choices. It sounds like you have the exercise piece down

MIMISUGAR SparkPoints: (2,064)
Fitness Minutes: (1,923)
Posts: 46
6/17/14 1:50 P

Thank you for your advice.

For a healthy weight for me, I need to lose 30 pds. Myself and a friend are working out every morning at 7:00 doing Chalene Extreme 3 days a week and we walk 3.5 miles 2 days a week.

I have the exercise down, I think it boils down to watching what I eat and calories.

ARCHIMEDESII SparkPoints: (156,933)
Fitness Minutes: (232,390)
Posts: 22,860
6/17/14 12:06 P

Do you like to walk ? If so, why not take a daily walk. Health experts suggest that the minimum amount a person should walk per day for over all good health and weight management would be 5 miles or 10,000 steps. If you've been sedentary for a very long time and want to start an exercise program, you should slowly ease into a routine so that your body has time to adapt.

So, if you're not used to walking for 5 miles per day, why not start with a 30 minute walk ? Cardiologists will tell you that taking a 30 minute brisk walk each day can reduce your risk for heart disease by over 30%. not bad for a brisk walk.

Ultimately, when it comes to gaining or losing weight, what matters most is what we eat. Good nutrition is what takes the weight off and keeps it off. exercise is what keeps our bodies fit. What you do for exercise will depend on your fitness goals. You can't outrun a bad diet with exercise. If you want to lose weight, you need to learn to eat right and watch your portions first.

Take things slowly. don't try to do too much too soon or you will end up frustrated. slowly ease into a routine so that any exercise you do will become just that, a routine.

MIMISUGAR SparkPoints: (2,064)
Fitness Minutes: (1,923)
Posts: 46
6/17/14 11:41 A

What would be a good recommendation for cardio everyday ( minutes wise) for overall weight loss?

Page: 1 of (1)  

Other Fitness and Exercise Topics:

Topics: Last Post:
Pear Shape Weight Loss 5/13/2014 1:34:20 PM
walking buddy 10/6/2014 10:38:33 AM
Hi everyone, I want to lose 100+ pounds... 5/13/2014 9:49:11 AM
Suggestions for core exercises 8/22/2014 7:54:20 AM
confused, discouraged and about to give up 5/21/2014 10:55:51 AM